Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 Ballaghaderreen bypass still going ahead.

Options
  • 10-11-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

According to the revised "Infrastructure and Capital Investment 2012-16: Medium Term Exchequer Framework" published today, the N5 Ballaghaderreen bypass is still going ahead it seems.

A piece of good news for the West for a change. Link here. See page 15.

Articles in the Mayo News, Roscommon Herald, Western People and the Midwest Radio website suggesting a 2012 start.

Also a Department of Transport press release today says it "will proceed to construction next year". See section on roads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

There is still a good bit to be done from Ballaghaderreen towards Dublin whether that means linking up to with Carrick-on-shannon on the N4 who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The N17 is going ahead although a toll road, that means paying 3 tolls if you want to go to dublin via N17/M6/M4.

In regards to the N5 , you just got the whole pile of **** roads in roscommon to upgrade yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It might reduce times for 5 mins at the most I would say. As the lads said there is another 20km of crap roads to sort out.

That will be longford and Ballaghdereen, so maybe 15 mins at max?

Its a start but until they sort of the rest of that road between Ros and Longford then we are gonna be jammed behind trucks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Fair play to Inda at last......its better than nothing and with the Longford bypass happening as well it will make a difference. Not a lot, but at least its a start.

Ballaghdereen to Strokestown is cack. Bearable enough in the Summer but in the Winter months its woeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Little OT in relation to Ballaghaderren.
    Just beside the turn to the centre, there is alway a car parked on a narrow road, half on a pavement.
    It's obstructing a traffic, as all the trucks and buses always have problem passing through, as road is narrow.
    Surely it's illegal to park in there.
    This is part of N5 which is busy enough. It's a main national road in the end.

Anyway - I have no clue who the guy is, but the car is almost always there.
    Is used to be Astra, but now I think it's Nissan Almera or sth similar.
    I've seen him million times with broken side mirrors. Now the new car is scratched properly through all back wing up to rear door - look like some truck didn't make it.

Could someone please explain me, what's the story with this?
    Why the guards will no get rid of him, as parking there is definitely illegal (on the pavement, and obstructing traffic). I understand that everyone wants to park in front of his house, but for God's sake not on the narrow busy national road.

Any ideas what's the story there?

Here's link to street view with the car on it. (miracualusly it's got mirror on the picture there).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CiniO wrote: »
    Little OT in relation to Ballaghaderren.
    Just beside the turn to the centre, there is alway a car parked on a narrow road, half on a pavement.
    It's obstructing a traffic, as all the trucks and buses always have problem passing through, as road is narrow.
    Surely it's illegal to park in there.
    This is part of N5 which is busy enough. It's a main national road in the end.

Anyway - I have no clue who the guy is, but the car is almost always there.
    Is used to be Astra, but now I think it's Nissan Almera or sth similar.
    I've seen him million times with broken side mirrors. Now the new car is scratched properly through all back wing up to rear door - look like some truck didn't make it.

Could someone please explain me, what's the story with this?
    Why the guards will no get rid of him, as parking there is definitely illegal (on the pavement, and obstructing traffic). I understand that everyone wants to park in front of his house, but for God's sake not on the narrow busy national road.

Any ideas what's the story there?

Here's link to street view with the car on it. (miracualusly it's got mirror on the picture there).

Thats him there in the chair in the Google image, Clarke is his name, a nice old fella, old stock. Pity he has no regard for the law, the car is always an obstruction. Not sure why the law don't make him park in the alleyway

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

can he not park outside his own house
    i dont see any yellow lines

neiphin wrote: »

buts its illegal to park on the footpath and put a person out on the road , that can get you 5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The N5 was closed through the town for several hours last month when an articulated truck jackknifed on that corner, wonder if his car contributed to it?

Unfortunately there was a pedestrian road death closing the the N5 Castlebar-Westport section on the same morning, also closed several hours. So the route was out of bounds for large goods vehicles most of the working day with few easy alternatives.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishgeo wrote: »
    buts its illegal to park on the footpath and put a person out on the road , that can get you 5 points.

True, but there's enough room to walk past there on the inside and there would be a lot worse of an obstruction if he didn't go up on the pavement. There's no yellow line as was said above, be thankful he has the cop on to park half on the pavement.

Driven through there plenty of times and its never caused a problem tbh, plenty of room to get by. Even with on-coming traffic.

As for it causing a jacknife, thats highly unlikely considering its a good 20 - 30 metres away from the junction.

• Advertisement

neiphin wrote: »

It's not only yellow lines that prohibit parking.
    It's illegal to park on the pavement.
    It's illegal to park obstructing traffic.

There's actually plenty more rules, but those two apply in this case.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True, but there's enough room to walk past there on the inside and there would be a lot worse of an obstruction if he didn't go up on the pavement. There's no yellow line as was said above, be thankful he has the cop on to park half on the pavement.

Driven through there plenty of times and its never caused a problem tbh, plenty of room to get by. Even with on-coming traffic.

As for it causing a jacknife, thats highly unlikely considering its a good 20 - 30 metres away from the junction.

No matter if there is enough space to walk by or not, it's illegal to park on the pavement.
    And even there probably is enough space to walk by, there wouldn't be enough space to walk with the pram.

I don't know as well what you drive, but I drive through there in a 50 seater coach few times a month, a quite often I had to wait, until cars from other lane queuing to the junction moved right, as there was not enough space to pass.

This is part of N5 and traffic is big, including plenty of buses and trucks.

Here's a quote from road traffic regulations, with relevant things in bold.
    (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;

( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—

(i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];

(ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or

(iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;

( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 [bus stop] or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ballaghaderreen is the Mecca of ignorant bad parking. Go down any day to outside the Post Office/Old Duffy's and you'll see cars abandoned in the middle of the road. Go up to the new Duff'ys you'll see them parked in the emergency and handicapped areas.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ballaghaderreen is the Mecca of ignorant bad parking. Go down any day to outside the Post Office/Old Duffy's and you'll see cars abandoned in the middle of the road. Go up to the new Duff'ys you'll see them parked in the emergency and handicapped areas.

you cant beat Longford for idiots who dont know how to park, i notice this more that my usual shortcut is closed to facilitate the building of the bypass.

newport also has it fair share of idiots who double park on the main road , like the twat last summer who parked behind the CIE bus and then proceeds to hop out of the car and go into to shop. i was stuck behind him, he got some abuse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Great to hear the B'hadreen by pass is still going ahead,

In fairness to the powers that be and the powers that were there have been great improvements on the N5 over the years.

Hope the Westport Castlebar and B'dreen Strokestown parts will not much longer delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

irishgeo wrote: »
    The N17 is going ahead although a toll road, that means paying 3 tolls if you want to go to dublin via N17/M6/M4.

In regards to the N5 , you just got the whole pile of **** roads in roscommon to upgrade yet.

I'd happily pay 3 tolls to avoid the ****e roads to Athlone via Cloonfad, Williamstown, Roscommon!

Advertisement