Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phishing text from O2?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Obviously not really from O2 if it is but I've gotten this message a few times now (I'm on Meteor, haha).
    Upgrade your O2 to make unlimited free calls to any network,click on this link h**p://o2upgrade.biz.nf/o2-online.htm or copy and paste on your browser

I didn't click the link but it looks suspect to me (so I disabled it to prevent clicking).

Should I contact someone about this or just block the number and forget it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*Bump

A friend told me O2 sent out a warning email about this, but I assume Vodafone and Meteor customers were also getting these texts? No word from them to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭thomasj

BopNiblets wrote: »
    *Bump

A friend told me O2 sent out a warning email about this, but I assume Vodafone and Meteor customers were also getting these texts? No word from them to me anyway.

The issue o2 customers are having is not strictly the same as what meteor and vodafone customers are getting. Meteor and vodafone customers are getting the texts, o2 customers are getting the texts and their accounts are being compromised.

This has been ongoing for months and there are a few threads knocking around in the o2 forum.

Basically, from what I remember it was been sent from o2 customers accounts via their webtexts to everyone in their contacts irrespective of what network they were with. As far as I remember you had to have an o2 account to be affected hence why the other networks didn't send the warning

O2 are saying that this will only affect o2 customers if the attempt to login on the fake login page although from what some people have been saying here that may not be true.

I am not sure if meteor and vodafone can block them and if they could it may not neccessarily be an attackers number but the number of an innocent victim including possibly someone from your contacts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems to two issues.

Phishing for O2 webtext logon's.

Then less common some people think their O2 logon's have been hacked. (unrelated to the phishing issue above)

Advertisement