Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Farm Q

• 10-11-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Can someone tell me where the law is on puppy farms ?
    Are they illegal -is there a miniminum amount of dogs that they need to have before considered to be a puppy farm

The reason i ask is that im an avid reader/reporter of ads on a 'pets for sale' section of a well known website and have noticed something very suspicious

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Afaik there isnt any actual laws regarding puppy farming.

But if you think there might be a puppy farm in your area, please report it to the ISPCA and hopefully they can look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

if you think theres something worng with the ad, report it to donedeal or whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

no laws yet. the greens wrote up some legislation but it never got signed off. FG have said its on the agenda but not before the new greyhound legislation gets passed.

actually i just seen this from dogs trust:

Attention everyone - great news!
    The Greyhound Bill was passed by the Senate to...day so has now completed all Oireachtas stages. Next step is for it to be signed by the President - possibly before she stands down on Friday or by our new President next week.
    Don't forget that we have been promised that the Commencement Order for the Dog Breeding Act is to follow in order to shut down the unscrupulous puppy farmers so we hope the Government will honour their promise. Please share this with as many people possible so that the Government hear our voices as we are speaking for those without a voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The DBEB will be signed into law as soon as the Greyhound Bill is in place. Both Acts may be enacted together. However the DBEB may be well meant but in reality it will not be very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If it's a certain website beginning with D then take down the links of all the ads (I presume you've spotted lots of ads by the same person/phone number?) and report each ad with the links of all his other ads. I have found with them that if a person has more than roughly 3 ads at the same time of pups of different breeds then they will remove the ads. What I have also done is take screenshots of all the ads (because there's no point sending links because if they are removed they will not be able to view them) and email them to the ispca inspectorate. I have done this a few times and they say because of lack of resources they cannot actively go and investigate him but they will pass on his details to the relevant local authority so that when the new legislation comes in they will ensure he passes an inspection.

I used to go through every ad religiously and take down every name and number and the county, and then cross check them to see who was posting what. Often someone posted loads of ads under the same number but used a different name each time and it was obvious from the photos it was from the same person. Used to get quite a few ads removed and people blocked by reporting all of these. Stopped doing it though because it used to take up hours every day, and it's a job they should be doing themselves. At least fair play to them a lot of the ads I reported were removed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Don't forget that we have been promised that the Commencement Order for the Dog Breeding Act is to follow in order to shut down the unscrupulous puppy farmers so we hope the Government will honour their promise.

But the new legislation is nto designed to shut down any puppy farm. Indeed, it rewards people by making their licence proportionately cheaper the more dogs they keep.
    This legislation is intended to regulate puppy farming but relies entirely on proper implementation and enforcement.
    But be under no illusion, this legislation will not get rid of puppy farms. It will actually make them legal and "above-board".
    Ah yes, only in Ireland would legislation be passed which legalises the very thing we were trying to get rid of.:rolleyes:
    I used to go through every ad religiously and take down every name and number and the county, and then cross check them to see who was posting what.

Zapperzy, I used to do this too! Glad to know I was not alone, but like you, I got burned out doing it, as it didn't really seem to improve things with *that* site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People need to remember that Puppy Farmers do not usually sell directly to the public. After all no one is going to knowingly buy a Puppy Farm dog. They use a network of paid accomplices. So you go to a nice house & see a litter of pups with their mother. You may well also see children playing with them so that it all looks very homely.

The "mother" may not the birth mother. She is possibly back in the farm. The family may tell you that they raised the pups & that they wanted the bitch to have a litter before spaying. Oh & the "papers" may be fake.

Checking mobile numbers is pointless when a sim can be bought for €10. These people are not stupid & there is a lot of money at stake so they are not going to let the DBEB stop them.

EDIT: Some of these Puppy Farmers are well connected. One of them got Brian Cowen to represent their case ! So don't imagine that some local authority inspector, that the LA's cannot afford to employ, is going to be effective especially as he will probably giving advanced notice of any inspection.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894857

Advertisement