Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weaning without packets

Options
  • 10-11-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would have some recommended reading for weaning. I would rather avoid using freeze-dried packets that need to be rehydrated but I'm unsure of which foods can be introduced when into babie's diets (the one advantage of the packets is they have a nice big 4mt/6mt/8mt on the side!) and how best to prepare them. I'm also not interested in BLW(baby led weaning) although I know people who use it can get evangelical about it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Annabel Karmel is the woman for this. I have her book on weaning and it has lots of ideas: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weaning-Annabel-Karmel/dp/1405348240/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320949469&sr=1-3

I avoided the packets and readymade stuff myself and he started off on carrots! Sweet potato is another handy starter food and fruit purées are very handy to make up in big batches, although I'll admit to cheating and buying the fruitpot multipack things (the ingredients lists on those aren't scary though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you want the Anabel Karmel book PM me your address and I'll send it on to you :) actually, mines different to the one above but has great recipes from 4 months +

Pretty much any fruit/veg you can puree at this stage is great for them, try to start with the non sweet ones though, because if they get too used to sweet things they won't like the savoury...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I started with purees too. Get yourself a silicone ice cube tray, then you can freeze small amounts of purees. Once you have introduced some individual foods (e.g. carrots) you can then make combinations (e.g carrot and parsnip). I second the above opinions that sweet potato is a good starter food as it purees very smoothly, I cook them in the microwave. De Cecco also make really small alphabet pasta (about 2mm) which is way cheaper than 'baby' branded pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

The River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook is very good, it has ideas for purées and then for finger foods and family meals you can include baby in. It also has a good chapter on weaning and a table giving ideas of how to cook most vegetables.

Advertisement