Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a project and need your help about gaming centers in galway

Options
  • 10-11-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hello there,

as the title says, I need your help

Are there any gaming centres beside Square Eyes ?

and one more question about Square Eyes ,

what kind of entertainment do they have ?

do they have pc games, ps3 and xbox games and tournaments

or just pc games. ?

any info would help

thx a million :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Best to ask them those questions yourself by emailing them:
    <snip>
    or ringing them directly:
    091-<snip>

AFAIK, there are no other places in the city centre since the other gaming cafe on Eyre Square closed down a while back.

Best of luck on your project dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wazzamax

redhairedguy

thank you dude, ill contact them

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Theres a place in Forster Street just off Eyre Square, near the bus station, its a cafe with a load of gaming stations in it. I have no idea what the set up is, but you could call in and find out i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

The place you are talkin about, Winston79, is Squareyes that the OP was talking about.

OP as far as I know, Squareyes is the only gaming centre left in the city centre, they even have rooms where you can go in as a group and play Rock Band. Range of different games operating on the gaming PC's downstairs. You can use XBOX controls or you can use the keypad on the PC. PC's have very large screens, perfect for gaming. Only been down to the gaming part once, brought my nephew and his friends so that's about all the info. I can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Winston79 wrote: »
    Theres a place in Forster Street just off Eyre Square, near the bus station, its a cafe with a load of gaming stations in it. I have no idea what the set up is, but you could call in and find out i'm sure.

That's squareyes!

Are there any gaming centres beside Square Eyes ?
    No, there originally was a place called Clan Video. They closed and the manager opened up Squareyes. There was also a place called Port but they closed down and also Wired, they too closed down.

What kind of entertainment do they have ?
    Mainly pc games. Go in there with 30 of your buddies and play Grand Theft Auto 4 across a network - that kind of thing. They HAD a console room but thats gone now due to the fact that they had flood damage but they will soon be moving to new a better premises so we should see some real improvements!

Do they have pc games, ps3 and xbox games and tournaments?
    They did have competitions for the consoles before, but again they have stopped these temporarily until they move to the new place. It'll be a lot busier so competitions and late-lock ins will be more in demand! So at the moment it's purely pc games, they have a good selection but aslong as you buy your own games on steam you can play them there 2 !

Hope this helps! :)

• Advertisement

thank you very much u really helped me guys

i really appreciate it

im wondering why other centers closed down :s

i almost got what i need

thx again

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

-Vega- wrote: »
    ...They HAD a console room but thats gone now due to the fact that they had flood damage but they will soon be moving to new a better premises ...
    Oh they plan on moving at some point? Any idea where they might be going? They put a lot of effort into the place originally, moving would be a lot of work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Just a couple of correction there, the console room didn't close because of flood damage - the regular floods from Subway >:( only took out PCS. The console room and rock band rooms simply weren't popular or profitable enough anymore - and in the case of Rock Band, damage and theft was a huge issue.
    Reckon this is the same reason squareyes is all PCs and no consoles: with consoles we would require physical disks for every game for every console, and the peripherals on the front of the machine. Damage and theft would sadly be utterly rife, not to mention an inability to upgrade HW, no real large scale LAN or online capabilities and updates, patches etc would be a nightmare to roll out with no central server. A lot of people don't seem to get this and think that we could fill the place with Xboxes and it would work just the same as PCs scare them :P.
    Not to say consoles will never ever appear again but I really couldn't say either way, all I know is it isn't terribly worth it unless it's a small group of regulars you trust.
    Tournaments depend on interest and demand - people often set up their own and squareyes puts up prizes.
    Squareyes is the only one left afaik, and if I had to speculate as to why these places close down, it would simply be the cost of upkeep vs profit. Everybody wants consoles without understanding the factors I outlined above, and electricity, new games, hardware updates, repairs, staffing costs etc are all high, also people (no disrespect to the nice regulars) want to be able to pay a pittance for hours of entertainment and also treat the machines like sh*te, especially the kids. Nothing like finding gum on a 100eu piece of kit or half of someone sandwich smashed all over the tower. Unreal amount of speakers busted by people hauling on them too.
    I beleive the old wired cafe is the new destination, but I'm not sure when everything will move, at the moment the PCs are slowly migrating to Win 7 which is a fairly mammoth task itself.
    (please note: the entirety of the above is my opinion and not an official statement)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Ah I thought they didn't want to risk water damage on the expensive sound system and massive flat screen so that was why the console room was on hiatus - sorry! - your reasonmakes more sense anyway ! :D

( Plus ..console.. sux in comparisson to PC ! ) There.. I said it !:p )

steel_spine

u know, my Project idea is to open a gaming center which focuses on consoles and next step is to rent them to hotels or have our own space in the hotels , i don't think the consles would be a good idea now huh :P

im going with the idea anyway lol, a project needs to be done :P

that's why i'm asking about squareyes and other potential competitors

guys would u be ready if i brought some surveys later on :P

thx alot

• Advertisement

Ah I thought they didn't want to risk water damage on the expensive sound system and massive flat screen so that was why the console room was on hiatus - sorry! - your reasonmakes more sense anyway ! :D

( Plus ..console.. sux in comparisson to PC ! ) There.. I said it !:p )

yea it sux, but it costs a lot to get very good gaming pc XD

wazzamax wrote: »
    steel_spine

u know, my Project idea is to open a gaming center which focuses on consoles and next step is to rent them to hotels or have our own space in the hotels , i don't think the consles would be a good idea now huh :P

im going with the idea anyway lol, a project needs to be done :P

that's why i'm asking about squareyes and other potential competitors

guys would u be ready if i brought some surveys later on :P

thx alot

Renting consoles or having a small gamespace in hotels sounds like an interesting idea. As for opening your own gaming center that is entirely console-based you would have to be aware of two major things: Firstly, scumbags WILL constantly try to rob you blind, and secondly: so many people want to play online now.
    With consoles (and many PC games now) this is tied to user accounts, and in the case of Xbox, paid user accounts. Somebody who doesn't own their own console isn't going to have paid for or set up their own membership, so would you provide accounts, and if so: how would it work? Say you had ten xboxes, with one paid account auto-logged inper machine for use with online play. It only takes one Joe Public to act the dickhead online and that's the account banned. No refunds for you, no repercussions for them. Even if we're talking free PSN accounts, you could still run into problems with constant bans.
    Also: wear and tear on disks,needing multiple copies of the same game, what do do if people want to play multiple games in a session (if staff are having to constantly run back & forth between people to check & swap out games, this will push your costs up as you'd need more staff to deal efficiently with people. Depends what scale you're going for).
    I'm not trying to p*ss on your parade with any of that, but if you're trying to think through all possible hurdles and outcomes with such a project, they're worth taking into account.

Haha, more like people damage to everything. The drumkit was thrashed to bits about once a week, and you don't even want to see the guitar graveyard that used to be in the office :p
    I was a little sad to see it go, it was a cool thing to have, but it was nice not to have to worry about obsessively checking the kit & locking it the nanosecond people finish, no matter how busy you were. Always little scumbags trying the doors to see if they'd be unlocked at the weekends.
    It would also wait until you had a huge queue and somebody waiting to photocopy a novel before breaking down utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rperkin

Hello,

Does anybody know if there will be any gaming centres opening in Galway?
    And will Square Eyes relocate and open elsewhere?

Myself and my friend were frequent customers to Square Eyes and we are saddened to see it go..

Maybe for people thinking about opening Gaming Centres in Galway could possibly ask for a donation from the Co.Council. I know it would be difficult as to where to begin.. But maybe start with a simple e-mail and maybe then set up a meeting. Possibly a percentage of the profits would go to the Council?

Then.. Everybody wins..
    It should be a bigger place than Square Eyes with more staff.

Please reply to this message.. Or E-Mail me at <snip>

Thank you for listening..

-R

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

squareyes have rebranded as Gamespace and moved to unit 2 Dominic street near the Roisin Dubh, where Wired Gaming used to be. I think they an introductory deal on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Nice wan! Must check that out.

Any idea what sort of set up they're boasting?

Slightly smaller premises, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Same spec (if not higher) just less of them AFAIK, havent been in the place myself yet but fairly sure the business formally known as [ii] have done it right.

Advertisement