Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

glove box door for golf mk4

Options
  • 10-11-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Recently broke the latch of the glove box door on a Golf MK4.... anyone have any ideas where i could get one or how to replace it? Looked up ebay but there all for the mk3 and not the same :(
    any help would be greatly appreciated :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

same thing happened to me with mine, latch went it's very annoying when it just sits there open. what i ended up doing was getting a whole new glove compartment from a breakers. i had found a thing on internet on how to repair the latch but breaker would only sell me the whole thing. Cost €30 and i had it swapped out with nothing but a screwdriver in about twenty minutes. Best way to do it. loads of golfs in breakers easy to get parts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i think i have an old glove box here if you need parts. im sure it could be fixed up either

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brennra

if i need the latch could i take it please? it would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

you can take the whole lot of it. ill double check tomorrow that its still here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Are you sure it's actually broken?

It's a really common problem on these cars. There's a guide on ukmkivs forum on how to fix these

sean1141 wrote: »
    you can take the whole lot of it. ill double check tomorrow that its still here..

that would be perfect if you still have it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Replacing the door is a pain in the boll*x, I think. I say I think because I never got round to being able to replace it, couldn't get to one of th screws.

I did however fix it with a couple of screws, plastic glue, and a chisel. Open the glovebox (oops, sorry!) and you will see where the internal face meets the external face. Stick in a chisel, paint scraper, or similar and separate. This makes a series of loud bangs, not to worry its just the bonding breaking between front and back. Now you can see the two white arms that Volkswagen just put onto plastic lugs, one of these has probably snapped. Reset the mechanism and maybe grease it a little. Use the screws to re enforce the plastic lugs, probably good to use a washer on each. Once done, use a decent glue to bond the faces back together and clamp them overnight to be sure they're set. I fixed mine about a year ago and have had no issue since.

7a631435.jpg

All the little 'dots' around the edges are bonding points, so that's how many bangs you'll hear as its separating, if ya get me.

Awesome thanks for all the replies!!!! have a few people to call tomorrow that said they have one so will try get one by the end of the weekend! so heres hoping it all goes well!

Advertisement