Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

• 10-11-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

who do you guys rate as better?
    Alot of people i know think Ronaldo is a god :confused:
    Has to be Messi though :)
    But who do you vote for?!

Messi Or Ronaldo 621 votes

Messi
    0% 0 votes
    Ronaldo
    100% 621 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Threads just keep getting better and better.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Noooooooooooooooooooo, not again!!!

Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I know its prob been done before :eek:

But right now at this minute?

whos better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Atari Jaguar.

I'd have Ronaldo in a league situation and Messi in a cup situation tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Brazilian Ronaldo in his day was a ledge. Messi awesomeness. Christiano- not enough roll eyes smilies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

messi = worlds greatest ever player,already.. marvel at him now,because you surley will when he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Messi is the better player and he has the better attitude to boot.

Ronaldo is a superb player but he can't compete with Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Anyone see messi ever playing for another club other than Barca? I cant.
    with Ronaldo i dont know.. he could get money hungry and join someone else in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

Gary Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No Bale option :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

barone wrote: »
    messi = worlds greatest ever player,already.. marvel at him now,because you surley will when he retires.

He might be a better all rounder than Ronaldo, but greatest player ever?......... Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

There's a reason you never hear Ronaldo's name mentioned alongside greats like Maradona and Pele. He's unfortunate that Messi came along around the same time as him and i think it causes some to gloss over just how good a player Ronaldo is, he's phenomenal. On the other hand, it's quite amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Both are amazing. 2 of the best ever.

Messi has a better team ethic & plays the game is a classier way. If I had a choice between either in my team, or even who I'd prefer to watch, the answer is Messi every day of the week.

As I said, 2 of the best ever.

Ronaldo should possibly be considered alongside the all time greats, Pele, Maradonna etc....Messi should possibly be considered the greatest of all time already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Jesus, OP, can't believe no one ever thought of making a thread for this before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Messi by a mile. Obviously Ronaldo is good, but as Bodhisopha said, Messi is being talked about as one of the best players of all time.

Messi comes across as a genuine humble decent human, and Ronaldo is the complete opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Messi is better, not by the large gap some will make it out to be, but still better.

Messi, the greatest of all time.

Ronaldo, one of the greatest of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Blessed to have two players with their ability right now, both fantastic

On a personal level its always going to be Ronaldo for me, but I fully acknowledge Messi is most peoples choice and can see why!

Just for a fun Ronaldo fact

Real Madrid:
    106 apps
    103 goals

noice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's actually a tough question if you really think about it. I agree Messi will go down as one of the greats, Ronaldo probably won't because he's slightly less pretty to watch and can come across as a bit of a dick... but Ronaldo does give you something Messi won't with his strength and superb aerial ability.

I don't think it's as straight forward as some people would like to suggest. If you're asking who is the out and out better player then I'd say Messi, but not by that much. However if you're asking who I'd prefer in my team it's a different question. There will be times you'll prefer Ronaldo over Messi.

It's actually a tough question if you really think about it. I agree Messi will go down as one of the greats, Ronaldo probably won't because he's slightly less pretty to watch and can come across as a bit of a dick... but Ronaldo does give you something Messi won't with his strength and superb aerial ability.

I don't think it's as straight forward as some people would like to suggest. If you're asking who is the out and out better player then I'd say Messi, but not by that much. However if you're asking who I'd prefer in my team it's a different question. There will be times you'll prefer Ronaldo over Messi.

Defending and attacking corners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Probably more times than that tbh

Penalty taking is also overlooked, Messi has a poor record, Ronaldo has a very good record. Ronaldo is a better target man, Ronaldo has a quicker burst of pace etc...

Im sure even the most biased Messi fan will admit Ronaldo does do certain things better

kryogen wrote: »
    Probably more times than that tbh

Penalty taking is also overlooked, Messi has a poor record, Ronaldo has a very good record. Ronaldo is a better target man, Ronaldo has a quicker burst of pace etc...

Im sure even the most biased Messi fan will admit Ronaldo does do certain things better

Sure, Ronaldo has strengths over Messi, i took the question to mean there are times you'd prefer Ronaldo in your team.

Penalties are not one, i'd have someone else take them. Hasn't Ronaldo missed some high profile penalties?

Target man? Not necessary.

Quicker burst of pace? I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well in the absence of Nani (joke), I plumped for Ronaldo. Completely see why people mostly choose Messi, will almost certainly be regarded as the superior player in years to come. I just personally prefer Ronnie. Honestly, I'd probably pick Mario Balotelli above them both. I just love 'those' kind of players :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liam O wrote: »
    Atari Jaguar.

I'd have Ronaldo in a league situation and Messi in a cup situation tbh.
    We need a poll on if we should update Atari Jaguar to N64 I vote for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Both are incredible players! But when it comes to having to select one it's Messi every time.

As people mentioned his attitude and work ethic is just simply better than Ronaldo's, and that is why he will win Ballon d'Or again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

He might be a better all rounder than Ronaldo, but greatest player ever?......... Not by a long shot.

Not by a long shot? Come off it will you. Even if you disagree about him being the greatest ever, it is ridiculous to say not by a long shot. I tend to disagree with singling out one single player in history, but he is definitely in the upper echelons of people to ever play football.

kryogen wrote: »
    Blessed to have two players with their ability right now, both fantastic

On a personal level its always going to be Ronaldo for me, but I fully acknowledge Messi is most peoples choice and can see why!

Just for a fun Ronaldo fact

Real Madrid:
    106 apps
    103 goals

noice
    In that same time (09-10 season up to now), Messi has:
    126 apps
    123 goals
    46 assists
    in competitive games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Anyone see messi ever playing for another club other than Barca? I cant.
    with Ronaldo i dont know.. he could get money hungry and join someone else in a few years

Or fancy a new challenge once he's won everything he can at his current club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Davaeo09 wrote: »

As people mentioned his attitude and work ethic is just simply better than Ronaldo's, and that is why he will win Ballon d'Or again!

Where do you get that from? I'd say Ronaldo's work ethic is top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Messi, quite substantially too. Although Ronaldo is phenomenal in every sense too.
    #15 wrote: »

I've never seen Ronaldo do this tbh. Messi does it consistently.

I imagine he gets that from watching both of them play football. Messi (and Barcelona) constantly harry the opposition when possession is lost.

Ronaldo...doesn't. Sure different styles etc, but Messi pretty clearly to my eyes puts in more work off the ball and just has a better attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

Messi is the best football player i've ever actually seen play so far ahead of ronaldo its unreal, he has something ronaldo will never have, a want to stay on his feet and just play football. Ronaldo will go down and play act at the slightest touch, messi is sensational

I think Ronaldo's work ethic in training is impressive. But on the pitch it's all about him.
    If I had a 8 year old child playing football, I'd rather him look up to a personality like Messi than Ronaldo.

And I know that's nothing to do with who's the best player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

barone wrote: »
    messi = worlds greatest ever player,already

He falls short by 4.3874 .

Beaten by Pele, Maradona and Puskas amongst others.

Beaten by Pele, Maradona, Bale and Puskas amongst others.

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    I've never seen Ronaldo do this tbh. Messi does it consistently.

I see what you mean. I took ''work ethic'' to mean his work ethic off the pitch.
    I was thinking of how much work Ronaldo put into developing his game from when he was a raw 18 yr old at Utd.

I have no argument with anyone dismissing Ronaldo's work ethic on the pitch!!
    I imagine he gets that from watching both of them play football.

Thanks for the sarky and unhelpful post Captain Obvious.

I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, but it wasn't me.

Judge him at the end of his career. It is the only fair way really. For example, do you think in January 1986 Maradona was considered the greatest ever? Or after his red card and early exit in the 1982 World Cup?

Plus it actually impossible to gauge who really is the best. How do you compare De Stefano to Messi? Totally different eras, different rules, different competitions. All you can say is that both are amongst the greatest ever players to play the game.

Thanks for the sarky and unhelpful post Captain Obvious.

I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, but it wasn't me.

Sorry about that. There are plenty of "Ronaldo puts as much work in on the pitch" type posters on here whenever this debate happens. I'm just a bit fed up of this debate really. I guess we both had our wires crossed as I never thought at all that you may have meant off the pitch. So my post was basically saying that it should be obvious enough that Messi puts in more work off the ball on the pitch than Ronaldo.

Sorry about that. There are plenty of "Ronaldo puts as much work in on the pitch" type posters on here whenever this debate happens. I'm just a bit fed up of this debate really. I guess we both had our wires crossed as I never thought at all that you may have meant off the pitch. So my post was basically saying that it should be obvious enough that Messi puts in more work off the ball on the pitch than Ronaldo.

Fair enough then. I had thought that Davae09 meant the off-the-pitch stuff - the initial misunderstanding was mine and not yours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ronaldo may be banging them in now but Messi will always be a level or two above him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Messi is the best of all time. Ronaldo is one of the best of all time.

I still preferred to watch Kaka and Ronaldinho in their prime.

Kaka gave the best performance I've even seen against United.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

As a person,a team player with guts,commitment and superior intricate skill,Messi by an Irish mile++

Messi for me.

However, Ronaldo is a phenomenal player also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Or fancy a new challenge once he's won everything he can at his current club.

He better move from Madrid, cause tbh, I can't see them winning CL Or La Liga this year or next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He better move from Madrid, cause tbh, I can't see them winning CL Or La Liga this year or next.
    why's this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liam O wrote: »
    why's this?

Well I simply don't think Madrid will win either. They fall short of Barcelona each time.

Ronaldo doesn't step up against Barcelona(imo). And altho United arn't playing great at the moment, I wouldn't rule them out of CL and Bayern Munich are the Underdogs.

I think a Bayern V Madrid CL match would be great to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd prefer Ronaldo in my team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Answer is obviously Messi, though I will always like Ronaldo more.

Whats amazing about them both is that they have become IMO the two most brutally effective players in history. Their stats are ridiculous. They're both machines who have taken the most basic aim of the game - putting the ball in the net - to another level and have done so without really being what you would call a striker in the traditional sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

flahavaj wrote: »
    Answer is obviously Messi, though I will always like Ronaldo more.

Whats amazing about them both is that they have become IMO the two most brutally effective players in history. Their stats are ridiculous. They're both machines who have taken the most basic aim of the game - putting the ball in the net - to another level.

I agree with pretty much everything here.

Messi is Fantastic, what he does when surrounded by players defies logic.
    But, I'd absolutely love Ronaldo to come back to Utd. I see no reason why he ever should, save Jose replacing Fergie. Ronaldo's strength on the ball, and his aerial prowess are something else altogether. Watching Real at the weekend was a joy, and I think they'll give Barca a much better run for their money this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Judge him at the end of his career. It is the only fair way really. For example, do you think in January 1986 Maradona was considered the greatest ever? Or after his red card and early exit in the 1982 World Cup?

Plus it actually impossible to gauge who really is the best. How do you compare De Stefano to Messi? Totally different eras, different rules, different competitions. All you can say is that both are amongst the greatest ever players to play the game.

Oh, I agree with you 100%.

TBH I think its an age thing about who one picks. Im glad I got to see so many great players but Im sad I never saw Pele. (But, then again there were plenty before him as well)

• Advertisement
Advertisement