Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

In terms of the World Player of the year prize, there may be a little bit of a backlash on Messi after winning the WC player of the tournament. It really didnt go down very well with a lot of people

Maybe so but wont them votes go to James Rodriguez and not Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Maybe so but wont them votes go to James Rodriguez and not Ronaldo?

Nobody should be voting for Rodriguez in the Ballon d'or, a few good games in the world cup does not make you the best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Was Messi better than Ronaldo last year? No, was he better than him this year so far? No, and I don't think the next few months could put him ahead.

There were better performers at the World Cup than Messi too, if it's between the two it has to be Ronaldo.

If it's not Ronaldo, maybe Lahm should get it, great consistency over the past year, captains teams to a domestic double and World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Messi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If it's not Ronaldo, maybe Lahm should get it, great consistency over the past year, captains teams to a domestic double and World Cup
    Sadly though, there is a strong bias towards goalscorers in these awards and you also have to be very noticeably better than Messi to win it over him, which is a bit if a joke in all really, but it is what it is. As the World Cup showed, even being noticeably better than Messi does not need essayist mean being given the award over him... it's really more down to marketing than what is being played out on the pitch for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Whoever shone at the world cup between the two will and should get it i.e Messi

Ronnie flopped on the biggest stage so it will be unlikely he can retain it.
    Then give it to James Rodriguez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This post has been deleted.

I agree Ronaldo was poor and Messi had a much better tournament. No question. But it's worth remembering Argentina had better players to support him. Messi had Di Maria...... Ronaldo had Nani. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ballon D'Or awards are probably what is going to be the crucial criteria used to evaluate/compare these guys careers when they are retired. Currently in that regard its Messi 4-2 Ronaldo. And Messi is 6/4 to win his 5th this year and Ronaldo is 11/4.

Id suspect Messi will win it because of his superior showing at the World Cup. That would put him 5-2 ahead in the Ballon D'Or wins column and you would imagine that 5-2 is a pretty unassailable lead.

This coming season really is a big one in the whole Messi v Ronaldo debate. Messi has been playing absolutely exceptional in the last year or two, admittedly below his best but still amazing. Ronaldo is id imagine playing to his peak at the moment and its still very close between them, for the first time ever in their careers it seems as though Ronaldo will now be playing with the better team, lets see how that affects this rivalry.

Its all very interesting.
    If Messi wins it this year (barring an utterly remarkable first 4 months of the season) ahead of Ronaldo, they should just pack it up and stop having the award.

Over the last 8 months (and last year too) Ronaldo has reached levels of performance that I never thought possible in a footballer. The absolute crucial player in a Champions League win, unbelievable in La Liga, but the country he played for in the World Cup are **** so we should vote Messi? Scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Whoever shone at the world cup between the two will and should get it i.e Messi

Ronnie flopped on the biggest stage so it will be unlikely he can retain it.

Why do you think this? There was already an award for that and Messi won it.

Kirby wrote: »
    I agree Ronaldo was poor and Messi had a much better tournament. No question. But it's worth remembering Argentina had better players to support him. Messi had Di Maria...... Ronaldo had Nani. :p
    It's a fair point as outside of Coentrao (who only played 30 mins or so due to injury) , not one player on that Portuguese team would be a certain starter for Argentina. Possibly a CM beside Mascherano or CB beside Garay, but even those would be far from a given.

Also then compare Bosnia/Nigeria/Iran with Germany/Ghana/USA as opposition, and it becomes obvious why it is silly to hand out annual awards based on a month long tournament.

There were better performers at the World Cup than Messi so if you're basing it on that tournament alone neither him or Ronaldo should win it

This year Ronaldo has been the best of the two without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This year Ronaldo has been the best of the two without question.
    Its only August, lots of football to come between here and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

CSF wrote: »
    If Messi wins it this year (barring an utterly remarkable first 4 months of the season) ahead of Ronaldo, they should just pack it up and stop having the award.

Over the last 8 months (and last year too) Ronaldo has reached levels of performance that I never thought possible in a footballer. The absolute crucial player in a Champions League win, unbelievable in La Liga, but the country he played for in the World Cup are **** so we should vote Messi? Scandalous.

OTT hyperbole as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Absolutely ****e in the final. And if the Portugal players were so bad, how come they created so many chances for him to miss against Ghana?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its only August, lots of football to come between here and Christmas.

I know that but we can't judge on what hasn't happened yet.

So far this year, Ronaldo has been the better player.

Even if Messi scores a goal a game up until the end of October I don't know how he could get ahead of Ronaldo, who will likely do near enough the same at worst, over the past year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I'd nearly give it to Robben. Best player in the world cup IMO and the only bayern player actually trying to score when they played Real Madrid

Even if Messi scores a goal a game up until the end of October I don't know how he could get ahead of Ronaldo, who will likely do near enough the same at worst, over the past year

Messi is 13/5 and Ronaldo 3/1 for the Ballon, so for anyone as confident as you its easy money

Messi is 13/5 and Ronaldo 3/1 for the Ballon, so for anyone as confident as you its easy money

When did I say I was confident?

When did I say I was confident?
    Even if Messi scores a goal a game up until the end of October I don't know how he could get ahead of Ronaldo

Surely not the words on someone that thinks Messi has an evens shot of bettering Ronaldo's year?

Btw, it wasn't a pop at you. I'm thinking it's decent odds myself tbh.

Surely not the words on someone that thinks Messi has an evens shot of bettering Ronaldo's year?

Btw, it wasn't a pop at you. I'm thinking it's decent odds myself tbh.

That's assuming the competition is one where the best player wins, there is still a chance that Messi could win it somewhat undeservedly like at the World Cup

So I wouldn't be confident that Ronaldo is going to win, I would be confident in saying that Ronaldo has been better over the last year and that Messi would have to do something incredible in the space of 2 months to be clear cut favourite ahead of Ronaldo at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Funny that people think that the Ballon D'Or is decided already. I recall the vast majority of people saying Messi would win it last year this time 12 months ago only for Ronaldo's playoff performances by and large swinging people's opinion. I think debating over this now is stupid.

The fact is both players are pretty neck and neck goal wise, Ronaldo did it in the CL and Messi did it in the WC while they both underperformed in their opposites. It's anyone's to win. I think Lahm should get it personally as it would be good for the award itself, but Messi and Ronaldo are too popular among their peers for a newcomer to win it I feel

• Advertisement

Funny that people think that the Ballon D'Or is decided already. I recall the vast majority of people saying Messi would win it last year this time 12 months ago only for Ronaldo's playoff performances by and large swinging people's opinion. I think debating over this now is stupid.

The fact is both players are pretty neck and neck goal wise, Ronaldo did it in the CL and Messi did it in the WC while they both underperformed in their opposites. It's anyone's to win. I think Lahm should get it personally as it would be good for the award itself, but Messi and Ronaldo are too popular among their peers for a newcomer to win it I feel

Why is it stupid? It's only a bit of a debate, no big deal.

Would be boring enough if we couldn't discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Messi from '10-'12 was better than Ronaldo over the past 8 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

THFC wrote: »
    Messi from '10-'12 was better than Ronaldo over the past 8 months.

Ronaldo of 10-12 was on the same level as Messi. People are acting like he only started playing this well in the last year. With Ancellotti at the helm Madrid are less of a circus than in a long time and the team have finally gotten their act together and now Ronaldo is finally getting the praise he deserves and yet people are still trying to bring up past seasons from Messi.

Why is it stupid? It's only a bit of a debate, no big deal.

Would be boring enough if we couldn't discuss

Well some people on here can't have "a bit of a debate" really now can they...

Well some people on here can't have "a bit of a debate" really now can they...

Don't put yourself down like that :p

• Advertisement

Don't put yourself down like that :p

I'm really struggling here man...it's like this:

the-simpsons-s13e13-20090421172654_625x352.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    Ronaldo of 10-12 was on the same level as Messi.
    I only saw one person smash scoring records in that time, and it wasn't Ronaldo. Not even close.

I only saw one person smash scoring records in that time, and it wasn't Ronaldo. Not even close.
    In my mind they've pretty much been on par over the last 4-5 years all things considered, but let's not pretend that Messi had anything less than the best service any forward/false nine/striker has ever seen in the history of the game.

Ronaldo of 10-12 was on the same level as Messi. People are acting like he only started playing this well in the last year. With Ancellotti at the helm Madrid are less of a circus than in a long time and the team have finally gotten their act together and now Ronaldo is finally getting the praise he deserves and yet people are still trying to bring up past seasons from Messi.

2009-10:
    Messi - 47 goals, 11 assists
    Ronaldo - 33 goals, 7 assists
    *Ronaldo played less games but still not even close

2010-2011:
    Messi - 53 goals, 24 assists
    Ronaldo - 53 goals, 13 assists
    *Fair enough that was very close

2011-2012:
    Messi - 73 goals, 28 assists
    Ronaldo 60 goals, 15 assists
    *Messi clearly on another level this year...not debatable

Overall:
    Messi - 173 goals, 63 assists
    Ronaldo - 146 goals, 35 assists

*In all bloody fairness it wasn't close...people bang on about Messi being a forward and Ronaldo being a winger (which is a bullsh*t argument btw) yet Messi's assists trump him even more so than his goal tally...wingers are supposed to create goals for forwards right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Billy86 wrote: »
    In my mind they've pretty much been on par over the last 4-5 years all things considered, but let's not pretend that Messi had anything less than the best service any forward/false nine/striker has ever seen in the history of the game.

Ronaldo had Ozil teeing him up at that time, arguably playing the best football of his life and topped the assists charts last season in europe for the last 3 seasons, Ronaldo had every bit the service Messi had, not to mention Messi scored a lot of goals from going on mazey runs from outside the box. I love the 2 of them, 2 amazing athletes but no doubt about it when both are at there best Messi is top dog.

2009-10:
    Messi - 47 goals, 11 assists
    Ronaldo - 33 goals, 7 assists
    *Ronaldo played less games but still not even close

2010-2011:
    Messi - 53 goals, 24 assists
    Ronaldo - 53 goals, 13 assists
    *Fair enough that was very close

2011-2012:
    Messi - 73 goals, 28 assists
    Ronaldo 60 goals, 15 assists
    *Messi clearly on another level this year...not debatable

Overall:
    Messi - 173 goals, 63 assists
    Ronaldo - 146 goals, 35 assists

*In all bloody fairness it wasn't close...people bang on about Messi being a forward and Ronaldo being a winger (which is a bullsh*t argument btw) yet Messi's assists trump him even more so than his goal tally...wingers are supposed to create goals for forwards right?

I love that you don't give number of games played and count goals Messi scored in the Club World Cup. Of course taking some of them out and going like for like in the league makes it a lot closer and wouldn't suit your anti-Ronaldo and anything remotely to do with United narrative.

I love that you don't give number of games played and count goals Messi scored in the Club World Cup. Of course taking some of them out and going like for like in the league makes it a lot closer and wouldn't suit your anti-Ronaldo and anything remotely to do with United narrative.

Messi was still clearly the better player and was emphasised by winning every award and breaking every record under the sun in that time...your last statement doesn't surprise me at all; United have nothing to do with Ronaldo vs. Messi from 2010-2012 which is the period we are discussing...but naaa it's always United isn't it.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Ronaldo had Ozil teeing him up at that time, arguably playing the best football of his life and topped the assists charts last season in europe for the last 3 seasons, Ronaldo had every bit the service Messi had, not to mention Messi scored a lot of goals from going on mazey runs from outside the box. I love the 2 of them, 2 amazing athletes but no doubt about it when both are at there best Messi is top dog.
    There's a big difference between having Ozil and having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime. This is with another out and out forward beside him too. Barca had the best team of all time during the period, Real just had a really good team with one player in the potential best of all time in their position discussion. Barca had 3, potentially 4 if Biscuits keeps up his level the rest of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

There's a big difference between having Ozil and having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime. This is with another out and out forward beside him too. Barca had the best team of all time during the period, Real just had a really good team with one player in the potential best of all time in their position discussion. Barca had 3, potentially 4 if Biscuits keeps up his level the rest of his career.

Its what messi did/does when he gets the ball that people are basing this on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think Lahm should get it personally as it would be good for the award itself, but Messi and Ronaldo are too popular among their peers for a newcomer to win it I feel

Has Lahm been better than Ronaldo this past year? (Hint: the answer is no, he hasn't been better than Ronaldo this past year)

• Advertisement

Its what messi did/does when he gets the ball that people are basing this on.

And I fully respect that but you can do that without duking the stats in his favour to try and put down what Ronaldo did and has been doing for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

And I fully respect that but you can do that without duking the stats in his favour to try and put down what Ronaldo did and has been doing for a long time.

Both have unbelievable stats personally I wouldnt base my decision on stats.

Xabi Alonso, Benzema, Kaka, Di Maria, all world class players feeding Ronaldo. Both at there best who would you rather watch? Messi for me all day long.

Has Lahm been better than Ronaldo this past year? (Hint: the answer is no, he hasn't been better than Ronaldo this past year)

World Cup normally has a massive influence on these things and in fairness Lahm has been consistently outstanding for club and country for a long while now. Not many players if any can compete with that. I'm sure most football fans wouldn't be too upset if he won it and it would be similar to Cannavaro in 06

Ronaldo absolutely did not have "every bit the service Messi did". Xavi/Iniesta is arguably the best midfield partnership in the history of the game, right up there with Rijkaard/Gullit, Rivera/Mazzola, Keane/Scholes, France's magic square and so on. If anything they are probably the best of the bunch, with any game they played in together almost guaranteeing 65% possession and opportunity after opportunity. As you said Messi makes plenty of his own chances, but it's not as if Ronaldo also doesn't either. One thing on this front that does irritate me is that Messi gets constant "kiddie glove" treatment in the media, completely ignoring all his shortfall inks and only for using on his successes.

If winning the WC best player award isn't a good enough example, the widespread complete ignoring of the fact that he not only looked sulky and disinterested during the extra time team talk in the final but literally walked away from it, while Ronaldo got weeks of absolute abuse for celebrating scoring in the CL final in the city he grew up in (yeah it was a bit obnoxious, but understandable... imagine Robbie Keane scoring in CL final in Croker or the Aviv for example) because "Messi is such a team player, he would never do that".

Oezil is a great player, but there is a reason he didn't look as good before or after playing with Ronaldo as he did with him. What did he have, 10 assists last season?

Xabi Alonso, Benzema, Kaka, Di Maria, all world class players feeding Ronaldo. Both at there best who would you rather watch? Messi for me all day long.
    Kaka was always quite overrated outside of 12-18 months of his peak. The rest of those guys are quality, but simply not on the level of Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o/Villa and Yaya/Busquets, particularly when you bring g in the stability of one team and the turmoil that occurred within the other over the last few years.

My take is that Rinaldo would not have do e as well for Barca as Messi has, but Messi would not have done as well as Ronaldo has for Madrid. I actually think Ronaldo would have done better for Argentina over the last 5-6 years, though (but Messi would have done better than Rohaldo for say Germany, or another well run team with lots of talent and technique throughout).

You are trying to make a fairly ridiculous argument over the last few posts tbh, are you honestly saying the team Ronaldo has around him is equal to the team Messi had? There is a world of difference, Pep's Barca will go down as one of the greatest teams of all time

Messi has played with players who will go down as some of the best in their positions of all time too, name me one player Ronaldo has played outfield with that you could say the same about who was in their peak years

World Cup normally has a massive influence on these things and in fairness Lahm has been consistently outstanding for club and country for a long while now. Not many players if any can compete with that. I'm sure most football fans wouldn't be too upset if he won the award and it would be similar to Cannavaro in 06
    needs merr guls.

I would like to see him we it, but only Cannavaro (kind of undeservedly, ironically enough), Sammer (once) and Beckenbauer (thrice) have won the award in its 58 year history. Part of why Der Kaiser is right up there with Maradona and Pele for my money., but that's a different discussion.

Messi has played with players who will go down as some of the best in their positions of all time too, name me one player Ronaldo has played outfield with that you could say the same about who was in their peak years

Paul Scholes, Ozil, Alonso, Modric.

• Advertisement

Paul Scholes, Ozil, Alonso, Modric.
    Only Scholes is on that list, and even then as a Man Utd fan I have to say it is borderline, especially with Ronaldo coming to his peak when he was into his mid thirties.

The other three are amongst the better/best players of their generation. Meanwhile, Xavi/Iniesta (especially as a partnership) rank among the very best of all time. Xavi especially, he's probably the best ever at what he does.

Advertisement