Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

65% on the poll say Messi, 35% say Ronaldo.

I genuinely believe that in 20 years time people will look back and see Messi as the dominant player of this era, not Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

65% on the poll say Messi, 35% say Ronaldo.

I genuinely believe that in 20 years time people will look back and see Messi as the dominant player of this era, not Ronaldo.
    There is a good chance of this, but he has in Ronaldos defense had the better set up (though history rarely remembers that stuff anyway) and the kiddie gloves from the media, seen in the half time team talk for the WC final and the immediate "playing injured" excuses that popped up before, Lahm had even lifted the trophy.

For me they're split, and Xavi is right there with them, but to each their own I guess.

Billy86 wrote: »
    There is a good chance of this, but he has in Ronaldos defense had the better set up (though history rarely remembers that stuff anyway) and the kiddie gloves from the media, seen in the half time team talk for the WC final and the immediate "playing injured" excuses that popped up before, Lahm had even lifted the trophy.

For me they're split, and Xavi is right there with them, but to each their own I guess.

Messi's form from 2008-2012 where he was arguably comfortably ahead of Ronaldo cant be forgotten, if Ronaldo has been ahead in 2013 and 2014 its been very marginal, lets also remember that Ronaldo is 29 and Messi only 27.

Messi has achieved alot more in 2 less years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Poll was made in 2011 right after Barca domination, would have picked Messi back then myself tbh

Now looking back over the past 7/8 years I'd have them even, with Ronaldo edging it maybe IMO having achieved insane levels with two different clubs and neither of the teams will go down amongst the best teams ever like Barca either

You have to remember around 8 of the Barca starting 11 were the Spain starting 11 and they won a World Cup and 2 Euros without Messi

Not that it really matters anyway, it's been a joy watching them both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is the younger crowd that see them that will write the future in regard the two. Older folk tend to be more conservative and listened to less. Messi is popular with conservative football fans because he doesnt have much in terms of a public personality and the old myths that he is humble are still knocking about the place. I think a large amount of the love Messi gets from football fans is a lot down to being a protest against Ronaldo. The older folk tend to dislike Ronaldo. He is good looking, stroppy, eratic and plays up to the cameras. Ronaldo is a superstar, he is everything a superstar should be and that is what the younger folk love.

If you asked somebody why they loved Messi, obviously the goals and his talent will be mentioned but what will also be mentioned are traits that would make him be the anti-Ronaldo. He's down to earth, he's a team player, he never dives etc (All myths imo)

Being a character and personality count for a lot in terms of legacy. Just look at somebody like Cantona. Ronaldo's legacy will be extremely strong too as he played for the 2 most popular clubs in the world. With Messi only playing at one club, he may be revered by less people that Ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Messi has done things on the pitch Ronaldo could never do. Apart from Ronaldo's blistering pace messi matches him in all attributes. Ronaldo's primary contribution to games was goal poaching. Messi's was everything including defence - until recently, lately he's being a lazy slog, arguably the weak link in the incisiveness of Barca but saved possibly by his goal poaching.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ronaldo is currently the better player both individually and team wise. There is also no doubt that the last five years belonged to Messi and Ronaldo at peak is no where near Messi's peak.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Messi has done things on the pitch Ronaldo could never do. Apart from Ronaldo's blistering pace messi matches him in all attributes. Ronaldo's primary contribution to games was goal poaching. Messi's was everything including defence - until recently, lately he's being a lazy slog, arguably the weak link in the incisiveness of Barca but saved possibly by his goal poaching.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ronaldo is currently the better player both individually and team wise. There is also no doubt that the last five years belonged to Messi and Ronaldo at peak is no where near Messi's peak.

This has got to be the key point, I dont think anyone can dispute this? Messi at his best is better than Ronaldo at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Messi's form from 2008-2012 where he was arguably comfortably ahead of Ronaldo cant be forgotten, if Ronaldo has been ahead in 2013 and 2014 its been very marginal, lets also remember that Ronaldo is 29 and Messi only 27.

Messi has achieved alot more in 2 less years

Ronaldo was the better player in 2008, I don't think that's even up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Montroseee wrote: »

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not, so just reminding you of that year..
    2007–08 season

Messi was nominated for a FIFPro World XI Player Award under the category of Forward.
    [51] A poll conducted in the online edition of the Spanish newspaper Marca had him as the best player in the world with 77 percent of the vote.[52] Columnists from Barcelona-based newspapers El Mundo Deportivo and Sport stated that the Ballon d'Or should be given to Messi, a view supported by Franz Beckenbauer.[53] Football personalities such as Francesco Totti have declared that they consider Messi to be one of the current best footballers in the world.[54] Messi finished third in the 2007 Ballon d'Or, behind Kaká and Cristiano Ronaldo, and finished second in the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year award, once again behind Kaká. He also came in third in the IFFHS World's Best Playmaker Award, once again behind Kaká and Andrea Pirlo.[55]
    On 27 February, Messi played in his 100th official match for Barcelona against Valencia CF [56] but only a few days later he was sidelined for six weeks following an injury on 4 March when he suffered a muscle tear in his left thigh during a Champions League match against Celtic FC. It was the fourth time in three seasons that Messi suffered this type of injury.[57] Messi scored 6 goals and provided 1 assist during the Champions League that season, as Barcelona were knocked out in the semi-finals, to the eventual winners Manchester United. When the season was over Messi had managed to score 16 goals and assisted 13 times in all competitions.
    and
    2008–09 season

Upon Ronaldinho's departure from the club, Messi inherited his number 10 jersey. During this season he placed second in the 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year awards with 678 points and third in the 2008 IFFHS World's Best Playmaker Award for the second consecutive year.[58]

Messi was nominated for a FIFPro World XI Player Award under the category of Forward.[51] A poll conducted in the online edition of the Spanish newspaper Marca had him as the best player in the world with 77 percent of the vote.[52] Columnists from Barcelona-based newspapers El Mundo Deportivo and Sport stated that the Ballon d'Or should be given to Messi, a view supported by Franz Beckenbauer.[53] Football personalities such as Francesco Totti have declared that they consider Messi to be one of the current best footballers in the world.[54] Messi finished third in the 2007 Ballon d'Or, behind Kaká and Cristiano Ronaldo, and finished second in the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year award, once again behind Kaká. He also came in third in the IFFHS World's Best Playmaker Award, once again behind Kaká and Andrea Pirlo.[55]
    On 27 February, Messi played in his 100th official match for Barcelona against Valencia CF [56] but only a few days later he was sidelined for six weeks following an injury on 4 March when he suffered a muscle tear in his left thigh during a Champions League match against Celtic FC. It was the fourth time in three seasons that Messi suffered this type of injury.[57] Messi scored 6 goals and provided 1 assist during the Champions League that season, as Barcelona were knocked out in the semi-finals, to the eventual winners Manchester United. When the season was over Messi had managed to score 16 goals and assisted 13 times in all competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

So what

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Imo Ronnie has had the better of it in 2014 so far, but there is still a good portion of it to go so who knows which way it will go. The only thing for certain is that Ronaldo will have to be a very clear, so far beyond doubt winner or it will go to Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

World Cup normally has a massive influence on these things and in fairness Lahm has been consistently outstanding for club and country for a long while now. Not many players if any can compete with that. I'm sure most football fans wouldn't be too upset if he won it and it would be similar to Cannavaro in 06

If you want to give Lahm a lifetime achievement award then good for you, he probably does deserve one.

But when it comes to the Ballon D'or the question is who was the best player in the world this year? Has Lahm been a better footballer than Ronaldo this year? No, he hasn't.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Paul Scholes, Ozil, Alonso, Modric.
    Haha yer funny!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It is the younger crowd that see them that will write the future in regard the two. Older folk tend to be more conservative and listened to less. Messi is popular with conservative football fans because he doesnt have much in terms of a public personality and the old myths that he is humble are still knocking about the place. I think a large amount of the love Messi gets from football fans is a lot down to being a protest against Ronaldo. The older folk tend to dislike Ronaldo. He is good looking, stroppy, eratic and plays up to the cameras. Ronaldo is a superstar, he is everything a superstar should be and that is what the younger folk love.

If you asked somebody why they loved Messi, obviously the goals and his talent will be mentioned but what will also be mentioned are traits that would make him be the anti-Ronaldo. He's down to earth, he's a team player, he never dives etc (All myths imo)

Being a character and personality count for a lot in terms of legacy. Just look at somebody like Cantona. Ronaldo's legacy will be extremely strong too as he played for the 2 most popular clubs in the world. With Messi only playing at one club, he may be revered by less people that Ronaldo

You sound like an old person who wants to make out he's young.

You are rambling incoherently in your last paragraph, Messi wont have as high a legacy profile 'cos he played for 1 club? What has Cantona got to do with this thread about Messi'/C Ronaldo?

TheCitizen wrote: »

You are rambling incoherently in your last paragraph, Messi wont have as high a legacy profile 'cos he played for 1 club? What has Cantona got to do with this thread about Messi'/C Ronaldo?

I think his point was quite clear actually.

Besides, when talking about legacy my opinion is that in 10/20 years evidence will start to emerge and Messi will have the stigma of doping hanging over him the same as a Barry Bonds or Lance Armstrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think his point was quite clear actually.

Besides, when talking about legacy my opinion is that in 10/20 years evidence will start to emerge and Messi will have the stigma of doping hanging over him the same as a Barry Bonds or Lance Armstrong.

Utter sh*te talk.

Utter sh*te talk.

If you like. Interesting the horrified reactions Messi fans have when you even suggest he might not be whiter than white.

If you like. Interesting the horrified reactions Messi fans have when you even suggest he might not be whiter than white.

If Messi was doping and getting away with it you can bet your hat on it that Ronaldo is doping, Bale is doping, Neymar etc etc. I know there are very poor testing rules in Spain but you can't just single out one guy because he got licensed treatment when he was small....and that was to make his body grow like a normal person first and foremost.

I hate when people drop the Armstrong/Bonds thing. Sure they got caught but people act if they're the only ones doing it. Every top cyclist from the last 10-15 years is more than likely on something... I'm not a fan of baseball but I'd go out on the limb and say that doping is probably rampant there too. The fact is football by and large is doping free so I'm willing to say that the things Ronaldo and Messi are going are very legitimate...but you can't just say Messi will get done because if he will you can bet Ronaldo will get done too as will many more top players.

The 1 club/2 club comment is in regard to that the 2 most popular clubs in the world are Man Utd and Real Madrid. Obviously Man Utd and Real Madrid fans love Ronaldo and the same with Barcelona and Messi. There are a lot more Man Utd and Real Madrid fans in the world combined than there are Barcelona. In years to come there will be more people singing the praises of their memories of Ronaldo than there will be Messi.

Cantona in my opinion is vastly over-rated in the grand scale of things. His personality gave him the presence of a superstar and his legacy is based highly on his personality. Messi doesnt have much of personality, Ronaldo does. Personality counts for a lot in terms of legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I look at it like this. Ronaldo is anew unbelievable goal scorer but actually doesn't do very much apart from score goals while Messi assists goals and creates more chances as well as scoring all those goals

Montroseee wrote: »

You have to be joking???? Just cos he played in the Premier League and was overhyped is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

You have to be joking???? Just cos he played in the Premier League and was overhyped is it?

Won the Ballon D'Or in 2008 and was a huge reason UTD. won the Champions League. Won player of the tournament (CL), scored 42 goals etc. etc. To the neutrals, it's not even up for debate who was the better player in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'm very surprised there's people disputing 2008 tbh. For me, Ronaldo was quite clearly better than Messi based on just about every objective standpoint that particular year. It was from 2009 that Messi really set a standard that was semingly unsurpassable, however Ronaldo has matched him and argueably bettered him over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Balon d'or leaves a sour taste , no way Messi should have won it in 2010, it was a joke in the similar manner to him winning the golden ball at the world cup. He was probably fortunate to win it in 2012 as well, could easily have gone to Ronaldo that year but it was close between the two.

2009 and 2011 he unquestionably deserved it. As for 2008, begrudging Ronaldo for that win, stinks of an unbelievable bias against Ronaldo. He was far and away the best player in the world that year.

This year will be interesting to see who wins it, there hasn't been a standout player for me, if Suarez had not done what he did he would have had a chance.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I'm very surprised there's people disputing 2008 tbh. For me, Ronaldo was quite clearly better than Messi based on just about every objective standpoint that particular year. It was from 2009 that Messi really set a standard that was semingly unsurpassable, however Ronaldo has matched him and argueably bettered him over the last two years.

He was deservedly voted Ballon D'or winner in 2008, for good reason. Some Messi fans just can't give credit where its due, some years Ronaldo was better and some years Messi was better, thats just how it is.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »

Bettering Messi would firstly involve scoring more than 91 goals in a calender year. Ronaldo hasn't and probably will never get within ten goals of that. Matching okay yeah maybe, but Messi of a few years ago is untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Bettering Messi would firstly involve scoring more than 91 goals in a calender year. Ronaldo hasn't and probably will never get within ten goals of that. Matching okay yeah maybe, but Messi of a few years ago is untouchable.

Thats why i said argueably.

My own view is that Messi will, rightly, go down as the better player, as Ronaldo never hit the heights that Messi did from 2009-2012 but over the last 2 seasons it's very much up for debate who has been the better performer of the two.

I just feel priviliged to see two greats going toe to toe with one another for the guts of a decade, both in their pomp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

The 1 club/2 club comment is in regard to that the 2 most popular clubs in the world are Man Utd and Real Madrid. Obviously Man Utd and Real Madrid fans love Ronaldo and the same with Barcelona and Messi. There are a lot more Man Utd and Real Madrid fans in the world combined than there are Barcelona. In years to come there will be more people singing the praises of their memories of Ronaldo than there will be Messi.

Cantona in my opinion is vastly over-rated in the grand scale of things. His personality gave him the presence of a superstar and his legacy is based highly on his personality. Messi doesnt have much of personality, Ronaldo does. Personality counts for a lot in terms of legacy.

When it comes to the true greats, of which Messi is one, then anyone engaging in partisanship is clearly an idiot. I am a United fan too.

Doesn't make sense. There's lots of football fans these days singing the praises of their memories of Maradona, they don't have to be Barca, Napoli or Argentina fans.

Cantona was massively overrated, an EPL star at best in the early days of the EPL/Sky monster. Cantona was useless in Europe with Man United and with France in international tournaments. His legacy is with Man United fans, everyone else remembers him for what he was - a star at domestic level in England at a time when the EPL was not anywhere near the top league in Europe. Cantona shouldn't be brought up at all in a discussion about Messi/C Ronaldo, he's not in the same bracket as those two at all, not even close. David Beckham is probably the biggest personality in the game of football. Personality is a different debate all together, nothing to do with this thread about Messi/Ronaldo.

Doesn't make sense. There's lots of football fans these days singing the praises of their memories of Maradona, they don't have to be Barca, Napoli or Argentina fans.

Cantona was massively overrated, an EPL star at best in the early days of the EPL/Sky monster. Cantona was useless in Europe with Man United and with France in international tournaments. His legacy is with Man United fans, everyone else remembers him for what he was - a star at domestic level in England at a time when the EPL was not anywhere near the top league in Europe. Cantona shouldn't be brought up at all in a discussion about Messi/C Ronaldo, he's not in the same bracket as those two at all, not even close. David Beckham is probably the biggest personality in the game of football. Personality is a different debate all together, nothing to do with this thread about Messi/Ronaldo.

Relax the cacks I am not saying Cantona is near them. My point Cantona is that is was massively overrated. His personality helped do that. Also Maradona is another big personality and his legacy gets helped by that. Personality and characters have a stronger legacy than the guys that wracked up the stats.

Ronaldo is a character. Messi is a stats guy.

• Advertisement

What does this even mean?

What does this even mean?

As i said on the other page
    "He is good looking, stroppy, eratic and plays up to the cameras. Ronaldo is a superstar, he is everything a superstar should be and that is what the younger folk love. "

Messi is a great player but he is a bit bland in terms of a public persona.

Personality has a big effect on a players legacy.

A good example would be Shearer and Cantona. Shearer was a much better player than Cantona but Shearer didnt have a personality. People still talk about Cantona and still have great affection for him even if they are a United fan or not. I dont hear many people still talking about Shearer.

As i said on the other page
    "He is good looking, stroppy, eratic and plays up to the cameras. Ronaldo is a superstar, he is everything a superstar should be and that is what the younger folk love. "

Messi is a great player but he is a bit bland in terms of a public persona.

Dear Christ this is football not X Factor...

Personality can help but when it's all said and done it's performances, achievements and individual records that are most important. You can be a cult legend due to personality alone but it will only get you that far. Cantona was a great personality and a good player but he isn't fit to lace Ronaldo's or Messi's boots when it comes to all time greatness.

I help out with summer camps for kids and I am also a student teacher so kids are obviously going to bring up football regularly. From my own dealings with them, Messi tends to be the one they prefer, look up to and aspire to be, not Ronaldo... Sure some like and look up to Ronaldo, why wouldn't they but from what I have seen it's Messi

Personality can help but when it's all said and done it's performances, achievements and individual records that are most important. You can be a cult legend due to personality alone but it will only get you that far. Cantona was a great personality and a good player but he isn't fit to lace Ronaldo's or Messi's boots when it comes to all time greatness.

I help out with summer camps for kids and I am also a student teacher so kids are obviously going to bring up football regularly. From my own dealings with them, Messi tends to be the one they prefer, look up to and aspire to be, not Ronaldo...

When 2 players are fairly evenly matched. The cult of personality will be the difference maker in years to come.

When 2 players are fairly evenly matched. The cult of personality will be the difference maker in years to come.

By who? The likes of Rihanna and Justin Bieber? Anyone with any sort of a brain and a real interest in football will judge them by what they did on the field. If they happen to be even then let them go down as two of the best that could not be separated. Then it'll most likely come down to trophies won etc., not down to looks or other irrelevant bullsh*t.

Frankly I couldn't give a flying f*ck if Messi or Ronaldo give all their salary to charity or are completely greedy and spend it all on cars, yachts etc. They're footballers...their job is to play football, not be a PR slut.

• Advertisement

I help out with summer camps for kids and I am also a student teacher so kids are obviously going to bring up football regularly. From my own dealings with them, Messi tends to be the one they prefer, look up to and aspire to be, not Ronaldo... Sure some like and look up to Ronaldo, why wouldn't they but from what I have seen it's Messi

You are arguing his point with what you want it to be rather than how it actually is. He is totally right, in decades to come the personality of the player will have an effect on his legacy, whether you like it or not doesn't change the fact it is true. Cantona versus Shearer is an excellent example, the lesser player is more fondly remembered by the masses because of his personality.

In forty years time some TV show will want to make a documentary about a footballer. Will they choose Messi with his football stats and his boring persona, or will they choose Ronaldo with his football stats and his flash harry persona? I think you know the answer to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You are arguing his point with what you want it to be rather than how it actually is. He is totally right, in decades to come the personality of the player will have an effect on his legacy, whether you like it or not doesn't change the fact it is true. Cantona versus Shearer is an excellent example, the lesser player is more fondly remembered by the masses because of his personality.

In forty years time some TV show will want to make a documentary about a footballer. Will they choose Messi with his football stats and his boring persona, or will they choose Ronaldo with his football stats and his flash harry persona? I think you know the answer to that.

This is the part where he goes back to the argument about Messi's stats being better but completely ignoring the uneven playing field

Documentaries have been made about Messi already just like documentaries have been made about Ronaldo and that will continue into the future. The "Football's Greatest" documentaries are incredible and have included players that wouldn't have incredible personalities...in fact Iniesta is in the latest one...certainly not a guy most people would label a "superstar" in terms of the celebrity status Ronaldo has. Raul is another example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is he? Shearer is pretty much universally recognised as the better player, so I don't really get your point.

No it doesn't for anyone with even the smallest bit between their ears or a half decent following of the sport.

Would Paul Scholes have a big personality? Or Ian Rush? Just two quick examples but there's hundreds

• Advertisement

Relax the cacks I am not saying Cantona is near them. My point Cantona is that is was massively overrated. His personality helped do that. Also Maradona is another big personality and his legacy gets helped by that. Personality and characters have a stronger legacy than the guys that wracked up the stats.

Nah nonsense.

You'd see Messi,s mug or name on just as much merchandise material, actually more, than Ronaldo. By your train of argument Messi is better there in that context as well.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No it doesn't for anyone with even the smallest bit between their ears or a half decent following of the sport.

Would Paul Scholes have a big personality? Or Ian Rush? Just two quick examples but there's hundreds

Ian Rush, Liverpool's record goalscorer yet its Robbie Fowler who they call "God".

Is he? Shearer is pretty much universally recognised as the better player, so I don't really get your point.

Because Shearer is the better player. But Cantona will be remembered by more and for far longer.

Ian Rush, Liverpool's record goalscorer yet its Robbie Fowler who they call "God".

?

That has zero to do with the topic at hand. Nice cheap shot at deflecting though.

How about debating my point instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because Shearer is the better player. But Cantona will be remembered by more and for far longer.

Probably something to do with the PL titles won pretty much every season he played after moving to United. I wonder what happened the year he was banned? But sure he wasn't that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well he's certainly not remembered more than the highest scorer in the league now, so I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

True.
    But not for his playing skills. Most people will remember Cantona for the fish and the trawler quote or the kung-fu kick or the high collar with attitude, or all three.

Im a devoted Messi fan, but I have to admit.... for the first time ever it looks like Ronaldo has truly got the edge.

His club form is better than Messi's. Leo's World Cup is the only thing keeping him in with a shout of winning the Ballon D'Or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Im a devoted Messi fan, but I have to admit.... for the first time ever it looks like Ronaldo has truly got the edge.

His club form is better than Messi's. Leo's World Cup is the only thing keeping him in with a shout of winning the Ballon D'Or.

Yeh I agree. Messi seems to be giving more assists now. Neymar has more goals than him. First time in years someone has more Barca goals than him after this many games? Ronaldo looks incredible at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Messi has a ridiculous amount of assists (and should be assists but for profligacy!) this season. His role isn't false 9 anymore. It's more a ten.

Bravo
    Alves, pique, matthieu, alba
    Mascherano
    Rakitic, iniesta,
    Messi
    Pedro, Neymar.

So it's unfair to judge him goal count now. He'll still score but it's clear Enrique has a different role for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement