Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

CSF wrote: »
    They're not here making it, you are.

No i am not. How many times must i say, it's not necessarily my personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No i am not. How many times must i say, it's not necessarily my personal opinion.

You are by proxy. You aren't syaing it is or isn't your opinion. Btw saying they saw every minute of every game and then dismissing counterpoints does kinda seem to be having a side.

For what it's worth I've seen people say at the end of last season that do maria was more important, that doesn't mean better. Di maria was doing job that no other real player was stepping into. Didn't hear luka was either better or more important either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

You are by proxy. You aren't syaing it is or isn't your opinion. Btw saying they saw every minute of every game and then dismissing counterpoints does kinda seem to be having a side.

For what it's worth I've seen people say at the end of last season that do maria was more important, that doesn't mean better. Di maria was doing job that no other real player was stepping into. Didn't hear luka was either better or more important either.

Yeah, sure. Whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The thing is, Di Maria and Modric were outstanding last year, they played above a level they have done before. This is more noticeable then Ronaldo being the God-Like-Genius he is each and every season. You expect it from him, they stood out from the rest of the team but there was only main man at Madrid, and while he is there it will be that way. Naturally when someone else on the team performs to a very high level they will be recognised for it. Nothing wrong with it, but the fact is Ronaldo is the most vital player for them, was last season, and will fully deserve his next Ballon D'or this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'd find it fascinating if I could read a lot of the opinions on Ronaldo if he never played for United. Especially of those who support teams in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Keno wrote: »
    I'd find it fascinating if I could read a lot of the opinions on Ronaldo if he never played for United. Especially of those who support teams in the PL.
    You can't possibly be implying that he receives favourable opinions because he played for United? That is nuts, the chap is out of this world.

He is implying the opposite :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

CSF wrote: »
    You can't possibly be implying that he receives favourable opinions because he played for United? That is nuts, the chap is out of this world.

Oh you!

Whenever+i+get+a+compliment+david+mitchell_3e809f_3710348.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Keno wrote: »

Probably less non-United fans going for Messi, more United fans going for Messi. Pretty simple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can see Messi moving into the Xavi type of player in 5 or 6 years and I have no doubt he'll be the best player in the world in that position too.

He may be required to actually runaround a bit if he moved to that position. Xavi used to cover mad distances.

• Advertisement

Messi doesn't really like that, if he isn't getting the ball played to him, he kinda loses interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they both have lovely bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Just saw on Sky Sports news

Messi 28 Classicos 12 Assists
    Ronaldo 24 Classicos 1 Assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Looks like Messi is the greatest, going by amount of goals in the champions league :D

71 in 90 games compared to ronaldo's 70 in 109

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Messi is head and shoulders above Ronaldo. Ronaldo rarely contributes anything to open play, and when he doesn't score is anonymous like last night. Messi will also get the goals, but has many more dimensions to his game, that Ronaldo glaringly lacks

Looks like Messi is the greatest, going by amount of goals in the champions league :D

71 in 90 games compared to ronaldo's 70 in 109

Does Ronaldo become the greatest if he gets a hattrick in the next round and Messi only scores 1?

Oh yeah, and Ronaldo has 71 goals also, including 55 in 55 for Madrid, which dwarfs Messi's 71 in 90 really.

I mean, its not even a goal a game ratio from Messi, for shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually think to make this thread more readable people should place a list at the top of their post stating who they thought should have won the ballon d'or each year that Messi and Ronaldo were in the top three. :pac:

Turtwig wrote: »
    Actually think to make this thread more readable people should place a list at the top of their post stating who they thought should have won the ballon d'or each year that Messi and Ronaldo were in the top three. :pac:

Definitely Messi or Ronaldo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

They are the two greatest players of all time. That is all.Enjoy them both because we are all going to be annoying old farts in 30 or 40 years telling young lads that they will never see anything like what we saw when we saw Ronaldo and messi fight it out at their very best.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Does Ronaldo become the greatest if he gets a hattrick in the next round and Messi only scores 1?

Oh yeah, and Ronaldo has 71 goals also, including 55 in 55 for Madrid, which dwarfs Messi's 71 in 90 really.

I mean, its not even a goal a game ratio from Messi, for shame.

I'm not even a Messi fan, thought he was terrible at the world cup but you Man Utd fans will go to any length to defend Ronaldo.

Going by your logic Messi has a ratio of 2 goals a game after tonight if we can pick and choose how many games he played previously. Ronaldo has 70 champions league goals.

tastyt wrote: »
    They are the two greatest players of all time. That is all.Enjoy them both because we are all going to be annoying old farts in 30 or 40 years telling young lads that they will never see anything like what we saw when we saw Ronaldo and messi fight it out at their very best.

Well they aren't the two best ever. Messi may be up and around there, the other lad isn't close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well they aren't the two best ever. Messi may be up and around there, the other lad isn't close

Go on, who is the best. Who can come close to their stats,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Absolute crap. Anyone who thinks Ronaldo doesn't deserve to be spoken of in terms of being amonst the greatest ever is just plain wrong.

His goalscoring feats are just breathtaking.

I'm not even a Messi fan, thought he was terrible at the world cup but you Man Utd fans will go to any length to defend Ronaldo.

Going by your logic Messi has a ratio of 2 goals a game after tonight if we can pick and choose how many games he played previously.

But thats not what happened, you just made a mistake and got all excited. You didn't realize Ronaldo has 71 goals also, and has had since way back when Messi had only 69 :eek:

I poke fun at things like that, while pointing out the fallacy of the statement. Ronaldo scoring 55 in 55 for Madrid is just a statement which shows how ****ing unbelievable he has been since he went there.

He was playing in the CL on the right wing for a few seasons before he started to become a goalscorer, and since he has become one his goalscoring has just been phenomenal. I have already thrown out the stats about that stuff on another page so won't go through it again.

Your statement that Messi is the greatest because of goals scored was wrong, and it was obvious you thought he had more then Ronaldo in the CL, I found that amusing.

Me being a United fan precludes me from finding your incorrect post funny or calling it out for the bull**** it was? Why?

We can leave it there if you like actually cause I can't really be arsed at this hour.

Messi has 71 goals, Ronaldo has 71 goals. Which one of them will break the record first? Who knows, they will both break it so what difference does it make?

Messi has had his period of being the best in the world, Ronaldo has been before, and is now again. Hide behind any made up ****e you like, won't change a thing. Can't wait to see if Messi can raise his level again to get back in front, or if Ronaldo will continue to improve and give a select few people butt hurt for another couple of years :)

People look at highlight reels of best or maradona and think they did their magic week in week out and were always brilliant. The fact is messi and ronaldo actually do produce every single week in league and champions league games. The consistency is unbelievable, and has been for the past 4/5 years at least. Nobody has ever come close

• Advertisement

Go on, who is the best. Who can come close to their stats,

All I hear from Ronaldo fans is stats and stats. Why? Because they know his general play is rubbish and not close to being world class, hence they have to fall back on his goals. At least with Messi you can take his goals away and he can still hold his own with some of the greats in terms of vision, creativity, passing, playmaking.

Going by this "stats" logic, Gerd Muller must be better the Maradona ye? Well he does have a better goals to game ratio which is all that counts right?

I think saying Ronaldo has 55 in 55 for Madrid is just bending stats though, he wasnt that great at the start for Man utd.

Absolute crap. Anyone who thinks Ronaldo doesn't deserve to be spoken of in terms of being amonst the greatest ever is just plain wrong.

His goalscoring feats are just breathtaking.

Goalscoring is not really that important you know. Especially not now Ronaldo outscores Messi anyway.

The fella you quoted has zero capacity to discuss this objectively and will just repeat the same diatribe until you get bored and leave the conversation.

All I hear from Ronaldo fans is stats and stats. Why? Because they know his general play is rubbish and not close to being world class, hence they have to fall back on his goals. At least with Messi you can take his goals away and he can still hold his own with some of the greats in terms of vision, creativity, passing, playmaking.

Going by this "stats" logic, Gerd Muller must be better the Maradona ye? Well he does have a better goals to game ratio which is all that counts right?

Ok, take away his goals, take away everyones goals. Who is he most similiar too, even present day

Goals is a pretty important stat in fairness. But if there not enough how about medals won?? Or maybe ballon d'ors won? Seriously though, let's say for argument sake you feel messi is the better player , do you not think ronaldo is next in line?

• Advertisement

But thats not what happened, you just made a mistake and got all excited. You didn't realize Ronaldo has 71 goals also, and has had since way back when Messi had only 69 :eek:

I poke fun at things like that, while pointing out the fallacy of the statement. Ronaldo scoring 55 in 55 for Madrid is just a statement which shows how ****ing unbelievable he has been since he went there.

He was playing in the CL on the right wing for a few seasons before he started to become a goalscorer, and since he has become one his goalscoring has just been phenomenal. I have already thrown out the stats about that stuff on another page so won't go through it again.

Your statement that Messi is the greatest because of goals scored was wrong, and it was obvious you thought he had more then Ronaldo in the CL, I found that amusing.

Me being a United fan precludes me from finding your incorrect post funny or calling it out for the bull**** it was? Why?

We can leave it there if you like actually cause I can't really be arsed at this hour.

Messi has 71 goals, Ronaldo has 71 goals. Which one of them will break the record first? Who knows, they will both break it so what difference does it make?

Messi has had his period of being the best in the world, Ronaldo has been before, and is now again. Hide behind any made up ****e you like, won't change a thing. Can't wait to see if Messi can raise his level again to get back in front, or if Ronaldo will continue to improve and give a select few people butt hurt for another couple of years :)

LOL, I made the mistake? Hopefully you'll admit how wrong you are when you check what you are saying. Ronaldo has 70 champions league goals and Messi has 71.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29925468

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/lionel-messi-beats-cristiano-ronaldo-to-equalling-raul-s-champions-league-scoring-record-213700108.html

Sure all that Maradona lad did was dribble, feckin dribble dribble, just beating man after man, tell me this though, where was he when you were defending a corner? Yeah exactly. Take away his dribbling ability and you are left with very little Bill.

Don't even get me started on that Xavi fella

I think saying Ronaldo has 55 in 55 for Madrid is just bending stats though, he wasnt that great at the start for Man utd.

He was also a teenager playing on the right wing.

He has now gone on to play in over 100 CL games and has scored 71 goals.

Ok, take away his goals, take away everyones goals. Who is he most similiar too, even present day

Who is Ronaldo most similar to? Nobody really, he does fcuk all in general play

This is a wind up

What do you mean by general play? His job is an attacker. To score and create goals. What do you want him to do?

LOL, I made the mistake? Hopefully you'll admit how wrong you are when you check what you are saying. Ronaldo has 70 champions league goals and Messi has 71.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29925468

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/lionel-messi-beats-cristiano-ronaldo-to-equalling-raul-s-champions-league-scoring-record-213700108.html

I guess UEFA have it wrong so

http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/players/player=63706/profile/

Sure all that Maradona lad did was dribble, feckin dribble dribble, just beating man after man, tell me this though, where was he when you were defending a corner? Yeah exactly. Take away his dribbling ability and you are left with very little Bill.

You think all Maradona could do was dribble?

Ah come on, liken him to a player. Is he the worst player out ther??

What do you mean by general play? His job is an attacker. To score and create goals. What do you want him to do?

You know the way Zidane, Cruyff or Maradona could dictate a whole game by themselves even if they never scored

• Advertisement

Sure all Kahn does is just stand around and jump.

You know the way Zidane, Cruyff or Maradona could dictate a whole game by themselves even if they never scored

I like how you dont include Messi, but yet think he is better than all them.

Caught out

You think all Maradona could do was dribble?

You think all Ronaldo can do is score goals?

No you certainly did get it wrong in your over excitedly long, factually incorrect, bullshit post.

Funny stuff.

You obviously never saw Maradona.

Zidane was a midfielder, that was his job.

Cryuff was before my time.

Yeah you certainly did get it wrong in your long, factually incorrect, bullshit post.

Funny stuff.

Are you really arguing over 1 goal? Jesus.

I like how you dont include Messi, but yet think he is better than all them.

Caught out

I don't think Messi is better than any of them. Show me once where I said he was. Although he has gone along way further than Ronaldo to proving himself in open play. His vision, passing and creativity is excellent at times

You think all Ronaldo can do is score goals?

Good at heading. Offers little else in open play

No you certainly did get it wrong in your over excitedly long, factually incorrect, bullshit post.

Funny stuff.

No UEFA didn't get it wrong? You mean yes I believe?

Strange how they would get Ronaldo's appearance and goal stats wrong and Messi's right isn't it?

Is there, maybe, something you are missing do you think?

• Advertisement

He's right, I prefer a player who can do the bits and pieces in general play, like Joe Allen

Advertisement