Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Good at heading. Offers little else in open play

He scores a lot of goals in open play to be fair. A LOT of goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Oh
    My
    God

We have just made a break through, now in future I expect your repetitive posts to read
    Take away Ronaldo's goals AND his heading ability and he offers nothing

Sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Are you really arguing over 1 goal? Jesus.

Kyrogen was being a dick because he thought I had it wrong by one goal when it was himself who was incorrect.

I'm just giving him a taste of his own medicine.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2176520.html

Uefa also have it right. Looks like only Kyrogen got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lads Ronaldo and messi are clearly quite good but they're no match for the might of mcshane and heskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I don't think Messi is better than any of them. Show me once where I said he was. Although he has gone along way further than Ronaldo to proving himself in open play. His vision, passing and creativity is excellent at times

Ah you said he was up there, Im glancing at your posts.

You could literally say the same for Ronaldo, he is more versatile than Messi. I wouldnt turn either down for a team, they both do different things, and Ronaldo is far more effective.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    No UEFA didn't get it wrong? You mean yes I believe?

Strange how they would get Ronaldo's appearance and goal stats wrong and Messi's right isn't it?

Is there, maybe, something you are missing do you think?

Uhm maybe check this

Egg on yo face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

You obviously never saw Maradona.

Zidane was a midfielder, that was his job.

Cryuff was before my time.

Suarez showed he could carry a team last year, practically by himself, even in the games he wasn't scoring. His playmaking, creativity and influence was world class. Messi has also proved many of these attributes over the years. Ronaldo hasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Lads Ronaldo and messi are clearly quite good but they're no match for the might of mcshane and heskey.

Take away Heskeys misses, and he is the best player ever.

Kyrogen was being a dick because he thought I had it wrong by one goal when it was himself who was incorrect.

I'm just giving him a taste of his own medicine.

Uefa also have it right. Looks like only Kyrogen got it wrong.

Jaysus that UEFA are all over the shop huh

Again, I reckon, you may be missing something...but I'm out the gap for the evening so if needs be I can return to help you tomorrow

• Advertisement

Suarez showed he could carry a team last year, practically by himself, even in the games he wasn't scoring. His playmaking, creativity and influence was world class. Messi has also proved many of these attributes over the years. Ronaldo hasn't

I like you. Its impressive.

Ah you said he was up there, Im glancing at your posts.

You could literally say the same for Ronaldo, he is more versatile than Messi. I wouldnt turn either down for a team, they both do different things, and Ronaldo is far more effective.

He is up there. But he isn't better. How is Ronaldo more versatile?

Btw, whats Ronaldo's conversion rate for free kicks, since all you Ronaldo fanboys seem to know all these "stats" off by hand? 1 every 30 attempts or so?

Sure!

:eek:

Sure!

:eek:

I don't think I've ever seen Ronaldo give a 30 yard through ball, or anything of the sort

Again, I reckon, you may be missing something...but I'm out the gap for the evening so if needs be I can return to help you tomorrow

Alright we'll leave it there so.

I don't think I've ever seen Ronaldo give a 30 yard through ball, or anything of the sort

You're just telling lies now.

You're just telling lies now.

I wish

He is up there. But he isn't better. How is Ronaldo more versatile?

Btw, whats Ronaldo's conversion rate for free kicks, since all you Ronaldo fanboys seem to know all these "stats" off by hand? 1 every 30 attempts or so?

1 in 5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Here, I am a masochist for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

darced wrote: »

Zero control?

Sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He scores a lot of goals in open play to be fair. A LOT of goals.

These are first touch goals you are forgetting. It's only a good goal if you take more than one touch.

What age are you Golden Miller just so I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Pretty sure Ronaldo has 71 European goals alright, but only 70 of them have come in the Champions League proper. He's also played 6 games between the qualifiers for the Champions League and the Europa League which aren't included for the purposes of the record. That's my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love watching Messi and I love watching Ronaldo.

Ya I always wanted Ronaldo to do well since he left United.

I don't give a bollox who is better then who been honest I just enjoy watching both players in their prime.

I don't give a bollox who is better then who been honest I just enjoy watching both players in their prime.

Both absolute class acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have never seen somebody who must be so blinded did Ronaldo do something to you personally. Because other wise your just a very poor judge of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    These are first touch goals you are forgetting. It's only a good goal if you take more than one touch.

What age are you Golden Miller just so I know?

It's obvious he is not old enough to remember a young Ronaldo at United. Where he took the p!iss out of defenders with his speed and skill on the wings.

But now because he has moved more central and turned himself from being a tricky winger into one of the most prolific goalscorers of all time he can;t do anything besides score goals.

What a let down sure if you took away Zidane and Cryuff's passing and vision and throw them up front they would break goalscoring records also.

The gem is Ronaldo never carried a team but Messi did. Ye i remember the best midfield trio of all time struggling so much and Messi had to drag the side over the winning line what a load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

All I hear from Ronaldo fans is stats and stats. Why?

The reason why us because you continuously ignore whenever someone brings up his overall play. If I ask a question then put my hands over my ears shouting "La La La I can't hear you La La la" when the other person answers, I won't hear that answer either.

Also, didn't a Messi fan bring this thread back up over stats? Odd how you missed that, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Youtube clips will solve this! To the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Just reading Fergies book there, he doesn't pick a preference between Messi and Ronaldo but he did state a belief that he maybe Ronaldo would perform better in a bad team..

I can't say for sure that Ronaldo is better than Messi (he is at the moment but couldn't say overall) but I do prefer the way Ronaldo plays, more direct, more pacey. Not taking away from Messi's obvious brilliance but it's just horses for courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

L'prof wrote: »
    Pretty sure Ronaldo has 71 European goals alright, but only 70 of them have come in the Champions League proper. He's also played 6 games between the qualifiers for the Champions League and the Europa League which aren't included for the purposes of the record. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Was just about to say this, though it reads like it was 4 games outside of the competition proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Messi is past prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Just reading Fergies book there, he doesn't pick a preference between Messi and Ronaldo but he did state a belief that he maybe Ronaldo would perform better in a bad team..

I can't say for sure that Ronaldo is better than Messi (he is at the moment but couldn't say overall) but I do prefer the way Ronaldo plays, more direct, more pacey. Not taking away from Messi's obvious brilliance but it's just horses for courses.

Liam Brady was on the telly last night, he reckons Messi is the better overall of the two and he wouldn't be biased like Ferguson.

Both great players obviously. However Messi has the edge overall, all things considered and when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

In light of this debate cropping up again due to the CL record, I seen a graphic from the BBC(so accurate I presume) during the week which shows Ronaldo has more CL assists than Messi. On the phone so can't link but easily found on Twitter.

Just thought that was quite funny, given some people here claiming Ronaldo can't create for others and can only score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The whole general play/open play argument is such lazy bullshít It sounds like something out of the rte panel tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The whole general play/open play argument is such lazy bullshít It sounds like something out of the rte panel tbh

Not as much as quoting goalscoring or assist records

L'prof wrote: »

I know, I carried it on too long, the goals obviously came in the qualifiers, I thought that would have been picked up on easier :(

The Europa has nothing to do with his 71 in 111 games though, its purely CL, just not the main tournament only, qualifiers are included in the totals, which, as you say rightly, are not included for the purposes of the record held by Raul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Messi is past prime.

Lol based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The answer is Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Trilla wrote: »
    The answer My Opinion is Ronaldo

Fixed Your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Iang87 wrote: »
    Fixed Your post

can you fix my other posts too?

Lol based on?

Lol, based on performances, what else?

Lol, based on performances, what else?

You mean last season when he was injured for most of it? Those preformances? Everybody knew Messi wasn't right and it was awful to see it. This season he seems back to his full fitness.

You mean last season when he was injured for most of it? Those preformances? Everybody knew Messi wasn't right and it was awful to see it. This season he seems back to his full fitness.

No he doesn't. He has been dropped deep to accommodate his slight physical decline. Still good enough to move to the number 10 role and look like the best number 10 in the world (something Ronaldo could never do btw), but don't be fooled by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I just cant understand why people cant enjoy both, not many generations have had the chance to watch two players at the top of the sport and miles ahead of everyone else like we have.

People have their preferences and I have mine too, but you cant take away what either has done or will do in the future, its literally a never ending debate that will go around in circles until the day arrives that a player comes along that is better than both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lol based on?

Based on Ronaldo has started outperforming him probably.

Liam O wrote: »
    Based on Ronaldo has started outperforming him probably.

That doesn't mean Messi is past his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

How can the second best player in the world, the best player in the world for some be past prime? Have we seen Messi at his ultimate best? Probably due to the fact Messi at his best is the single greatest individual display we have or ever will see. You can say what you like about Ronaldo being better now but the heights Messi reached a few years back will not be outdone for a very long time, probably never. Nobody has even come close to doing what Messi has done.

Sure Messi isn't playing as well as he has in the past, that doesn't mean anything in relation to being in his prime or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Messi struggling without Xavi is what you're seeing now

You can see a pattern if you dig not too deep and look at some of the people that are very quick to dismiss either of the players.

A lot of the people that say hands down Ronaldo is the best are United fans. Obviously it comes from his time at the club.

A lot of people that say Messi hands down are Liverpool fans that don't like Ronaldo from his time at Utd.

Both are a fairly narrow minded and probably childish way of judging it.

Both are just incredible players and to dismiss one is just ridiculous imo. Really enjoy watching them both tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement