Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You can see a pattern if you dig not too deep and look at some of the people that are very quick to dismiss either of the players.

A lot of the people that say hands down Ronaldo is the best are United fans. Obviously it comes from his time at the club.

A lot of people that say Messi hands down are Liverpool fans that don't like Ronaldo from his time at Utd.

Both are a fairly narrow minded and probably childish way of judging it.

Both are just incredible players and to dismiss one is just ridiculous imo. Really enjoy watching them both tbh

What about the Barca and Real fans? Not everything is about Liverpool and United :pac:

What about the Barca and Real fans? Not everything is about Liverpool and United :pac:

I said some !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Messi struggling without Xavi is what you're seeing now

As much as I think this "Messi is much better, Ronald is crap" and "Rinaldo is much better, Messi is just lucky to be in that team" talk are both absolute nonsense, and that we are watching 2 of the best 5-6 players ever at the same time if not better (the only time that has happened ever besides Cruyff/Beckenbauer) I do think there is some truth to that. Xavi wasn't just the best in the world at what he did for a few years, he was the best ever at it, hands down, bar none. So be thing I have always wanted to see is Messi perform on that same level he did in a different setting to that Barca team of the last several years, and the next 5 years or so will be that time. I wouldn't be shocked if it takes him a year or so to get it right, but it will be an interesting development with Ronaldo having done it in two countries for two different teams.

Again, my stance is that Ronaldo wouldn't have done as well as Messi has for Barca at his best, but Messi wouldn't have done as well as Ronaldo has for Man Utd/Madrid at his best... You couldn't split hairs any finer than picking between the two of them, but my tiny, slight preference would go to Ronaldo again on the basis of having done it both in England for Man Utd and in Spain for Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Liam Brady was on the telly last night, he reckons Messi is the better overall of the two and he wouldn't be biased like Ferguson.

The whole RTE panel (besides Bill) have always had a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to Ronaldo. They only started giving him any sort of credit when his performances could no longer be brushed off as those of a show pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

derfderf wrote: »
    The whole RTE panel (besides Bill) have always had a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to Ronaldo. They only started giving him any sort of credit when his performances could no longer be brushed off as those of a show pony.

Tbf I think the RTE panel changed their views on Ronaldo for at least a couple of years now. Ronaldo has matured into a different player since he went to R Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Tbf I think the RTE panel changed their views on Ronaldo for at least a couple of years now. Ronaldo has matured into a different player since he went to R Madrid.

They've only really changed their tune recently. I'm not talking about regarding him as the best in the world, just as one of the best. He was playing for Real when Dunphy claimed Alonso was a better player.
    If he scored 100 goals, got 100 assists and saved 100 penalties in a season there are still people will say he's no Messi. I'd definitely count the panel among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

derfderf wrote: »
    They've only really changed their tune recently. I'm not talking about regarding him as the best in the world, just as one of the best. He was playing for Real when Dunphy claimed Alonso was a better player.
    If he scored 100 goals, got 100 assists and saved 100 penalties in a season there are still people will say he's no Messi. I'd definitely count the panel among them.

I'd love to see a keeper making 100 penalty saves in a season, you wouldn't miss one of his matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Just love watching both of them play football the two best fottballers i have seen in my life by far for me.

i actually find it hard to separate them at times when there both on top form, think ive changed my mind hundreds of time on whos better but i dont know how anyone cannot say Ronaldo is not playing better at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

How can the second best player in the world, the best player in the world for some be past prime? Have we seen Messi at his ultimate best? Probably due to the fact Messi at his best is the single greatest individual display we have or ever will see. You can say what you like about Ronaldo being better now but the heights Messi reached a few years back will not be outdone for a very long time, probably never. Nobody has even come close to doing what Messi has done.

Sure Messi isn't playing as well as he has in the past, that doesn't mean anything in relation to being in his prime or not.

How then do you define prime as it relates to football?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Im pretty sure that when both players are retired and dead, history will look back and view Messi as the better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Im pretty sure that when both players are retired and dead, history will look back and view Messi as the better player

The people who are around now will make the history. Their love of the player will over-ride anything regardless of the player. Ronaldo is probably the most talked about and analysed footballer of all time (in regard to on field action). People are passionate about Ronaldo. I dont see the same about Messi. In fact a lot of the love Messi gets is due to a protest against Ronaldo.

In 20 years time I feel people will still be passionate about Ronaldo, like they are about Maradona. Its hard to be passionate about Messi considering he doesnt really have much personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ronaldo has played 564 club games in his career to date and he has scored 369 goals.

Messi has played 453 club games and has 363 goals.

I don't have the numbers but I'd be pretty sure that Messi is well ahead on assists.

At internatinal level Ronaldo has played 110 games with 49 goals. Messi has 83 caps and 37 goals.

For me those figures give a not so big but decided advantage to Messi.

I've always thought when watching them play that Messi was the better player and the stats which I thought would be in Ronaldo's favour are actually favouring Messi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The people who are around now will make the history. Their love of the player will over-ride anything regardless of the player. Ronaldo is probably the most talked about and analysed footballer of all time (in regard to on field action). People are passionate about Ronaldo. I dont see the same about Messi. In fact a lot of the love Messi gets is due to a protest against Ronaldo.

In 20 years time I feel people will still be passionate about Ronaldo, like they are about Maradona. Its hard to be passionate about Messi considering he doesnt really have much personality.

Ronaldo is brilliant but posing with your top off and having perfect hair doesn't mean you have personality. Maradona was more like cantona in that he had demons and was often on the wrong side of footballs law makers. Like George best who also had his demons, these players become huge cult legends. I don't think Ronaldo ( as a personality ) is in that bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ronaldo has played 564 club games in his career to date and he has scored 369 goals.

Messi has played 453 club games and has 363 goals.

I don't have the numbers but I'd be pretty sure that Messi is well ahead on assists.

At internatinal level Ronaldo has played 110 games with 49 goals. Messi has 83 caps and 37 goals.

For me those figures give a not so big but decided advantage to Messi.

I've always thought when watching them play that Messi was the better player and the stats which I thought would be in Ronaldo's favour are actually favouring Messi too.

Ronaldo spent a lot of his early days at MUFC on the wing in a 4-4-2. Messi has always played as one of the front 3 in a very attacking 4-3-3. That skews the stats somewhat in Messi's favour.

Ronaldo took a few years to become a physical powerhouse which plays a huge role in his domination of the game today. Messi never relied on that, he always had the sublime skills which his game is based on.

The two are different and equally as good in different ways. Messi suits a possession based team like Barca down to the ground, Ronaldo suits a counter attacking team better every day of the week. Two extraordinary talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ronaldo has a personality?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The epitome of drivel right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

As a non United or Liverpool fan, ive always been in the Messi-camp (for want of a better word). Messi at his peak was incredible, I was gobsmacked almost everytime watching him, his goals were amazing no other player could dribble and finish like him, the best left-foot ive ever seen.

Hes still fantastic but not quite at the levels he was at before his injury in 2013 where he missed 3-4 months of the season. Since hes come back from that injury hes been 90% of what he was before that injury. But still fantastic.

Ronaldo has been the better player since that Messi injury, in my head thats been the clear turning point. Ronaldo has been on top for 18 months now but Messi was on top for 60-70 months before that..

Ronaldo doesnt make me tune in games just to see him though, as I often did with Messi, its a strange one... I think the finesse and lovely little delicate touches and that side to Messi's game are just absolutely enthralling... while Ronaldo is capable of the same, I think its that kind of play that sets Messi apart and makes him so aesthetically superb.

To me, Ronaldo signifies the ultimate in power, pace, strength, physicality... whereas Messi signifies the beautiful delicacy that our great game can have, the ultimate first touch, the ultimate finisher, mazy dribbler.

They are both great, but Messi's kind of greatness appeals to me more.

What a great argument to have though, an absolute blessing to watch the two of them both at the top of world football, leading the top clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Biggest piece of spoof I've ever read. I genuinely don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about Ronaldo's 'personality'. Ever. Balotelli, Ibrahimovic and co. yeah fair enough. I think history will benefit Messi for being so small. People love an underdog story.

Also, and this could just be me being a cynical bastard, in 20 years, there will be some new superstar that everyone will be talking about saying he could be the greatest ever. Football, and sport in general has evolved so that the next big thing is always around the corner, probably due to marketing, and I honestly can't see any player having the longevity Maradona or Pele had anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

brevity wrote: »

Balague spoofing? Hardly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He was right about Rodger's not fielding four liverpool regulars against Madrid. Broken clock and all that.

Nonetheless this reflects poorly on Ronaldo and Ballague could be sued.

Turtwig wrote: »
    He was right about Rodger's not fielding four liverpool regulars against Madrid. Broken clock and all that.

Nonetheless this reflects poorly on Ronaldo and Ballague could be sued.

I hope Ronaldo sues him. However, to print stuff like that he must have some info surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Is Balague insinuating that the Republic of Ireland are the United Kingdom's dog or puppet?

Ballague would want to have some credible sources, quite a claim he's made there. If true it would reflect very badly on Ronaldo, though to be honest I doubt it is. It would show serious insecurity if he resorted to childish nicknames for his rival, and as a 29 year old and the current Ballon D'or I don't think he'd feel the need to stoop to that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Oh god help us, he calls Messi "motherfúcker". Why is this news? I am shocked and appalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Balague is a twat. Loves the sound of his own voice.

He's like Graham Hunter. A pair of name dropping chancers.

Oh god help us, he calls Messi "motherfúcker". Why is this news? I am shocked and appalled.

Well it's enough for Ronaldo to threaten legal action anyway. Plus the analogy of Ireland and the UK isn't particularly nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't stand Balague either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

So Messi hasn't just continually fcuked Ronaldo since 2004, he's also fcuked his mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So Messi hasn't just continually fcuked Ronaldo since 2004, he's also fcuked his mother?
    Why do I get the funny feeling we'll be seeing less of you after January 12th?

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Why do I get the funny feeling we'll be seeing less of you after January 12th?

I don't care who wins the Ballon D'Or. Ronaldo will never have a patch on Messi. Not close to his level. Messi's all round game is miles ahead of Ronaldo. All Ronaldo has is goals. Messi actually has a game to go with the goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hahaha you're back. You went very queit wen I post that video of Ronaldos passes when you said he couldn't pass.

Oh man.

Hahaha you're back. You went very queit wen I post that video of Ronaldos passes when you said he couldn't pass.

Oh man.

Not really. A few passes gathered over as period of 12 years proves what exactly? Like his free's, might score one at every 50 attempts

Not really. A few passes gathered over as period of 12 years proves what exactly? Like his free's, might score one at every 50 attempts

*shakes head*

.....you kinda did. You make me lol

*shakes head*

You for real? He might score a screamer after blasting the previous 40 attempts into row z, but don't be fooled, he's sh1t at free's. That's one things I've noticed with Ronaldo fans of late, they've gone very quite on the free's front. Have finally conceded he's sh1t at free's after banging on for years how he's one of the best in the world at them, because he scores a screamer every once in a blue moon

You for real? He might score a screamer after blasting the previous 40 attempts into row z, but don't be fooled, he's sh1t at free's. That's one things I've noticed with Ronaldo fans of late, they've gone very quite on the free's front. Have finally conceded he's sh1t at free's after banging on for years how he's one of the best in the world at them, because he scores a screamer every once in a blue moon

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/qbaefg9am0gkliyyb56pla

:)

So a return of 4 from 49? See, he's ****. Not far off my 1 in 50 estimation. And you do realize that in general, Ronaldo only takes direct free kicks, whereas the likes of Pirlo and Totti take all free kicks, ye?

This is the best thread ever. I could listen to the golden miller all day. Tell me more of your tales.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever seen Ronaldo give a 30 yard through ball, or anything of the sort

Just thought I would remind you. This is what you said, then I posted a few of his passes.

Just to keep this conversation going because I am enjoying myself.

Just thought I would remind you. This is what you said, then I posted a few of his passes.

Just to keep this conversation going because I am enjoying myself.

No, I never seen it happen. Never said it hadn't happened though, did i?

No, I never seen it happen. Never said it hadn't happened though, did i?

So even though I posted a video showing you, you still don't think it happened?

You can surely do better, and be consistent, like our good pal Christy

So even though I posted a video showing you, you still don't think it happened?

You can surely do better, and be consistent, like our good pal Christy

Again never said it hadn't happened. Surely when I posted that message, it was before you put the video up, aye? Never said I hadn't seen it now

Again never said it hadn't happened. Surely when I posted that message, it was before you put the video up, aye? Never said I hadn't seen it now
    So you won't even watch it?

Because there might be a 30 yard pass in there? You might see one or 2 good plays and be proved wrong?

Or is it easier to just have a blind opinion and call the whole world wrong?

So a return of 4 from 49? See, he's ****. Not far off my 1 in 50 estimation. And you do realize that in general, Ronaldo only takes direct free kicks, whereas the likes of Pirlo and Totti take all free kicks, ye?

1 in 12 is close to 1 in 50?

Okay then. :)

• Advertisement

So you won't even watch it?

Because there might be a 30 yard pass in there? You might see one or 2 good plays and be proved wrong?

Or is it easier to just have a blind opinion and call the whole world wrong?

"Again never said it hadn't happened. Surely when I posted that message, it was before you put the video up, aye? Never said I hadn't seen it now"

Although I was originally speaking in general, which seems to be lost on you

1 in 12 is close to 1 in 50?

Okay then. :)

As I said rubbish at them. What was his record at them for last season? Or this season? I've seen Pirlo knock in about 3 in the last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

"Again never said it hadn't happened. Surely when I posted that message, it was before you put the video up, aye? Never said I hadn't seen it now"

Although I was originally speaking in general, which seems to be lost on you

I think your whole argument is lost on everyone here bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

4 in 49, is not far off 1, in 50.........

Wow.

As I said rubbish at them. What was his record at them for last season? Or this season? I've seen Pirlo knock in about 3 in the last 3 weeks

Pirlo has scored two goals since mid August.

• Advertisement
Advertisement