Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Tonight, Ronaldo dos Santos Aveira reserves a place for himself in the annals of history. To say this is historic is to say that a light bluish hue appears to be blue. A cacophony of cheers goes out across Europe and the world. It rings out across Manchester where he formerly played and therefore is immortalised and no less it rings out across the underdog island of Mediera; whence from which he came. The Primordial Soup.

The determination, the flair, the preened eyebrows are a testament to the man and the footballer that he is. 2015 is the year of the androgynous, the sublime, THE Ronaldo. Don't cry for me argentina - the truth is I never left you - because I was never there

Ronaldo: Ballon D'or

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

So they wouldn't have won without him?

There's no way you can determine this. You're making it out as though he was a passenger in the team despite being very influential throughout the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

There's no way you can determine this. You're making it out as though he was a passenger in the team despite being very influential throughout the tournament

I never said he wasn't influential. Many players are influential. I just don't think he "led" them to the champions league.

Well in your genuinely honest opinion, do you think they would have won it anyway?

I never said he wasn't influential. Many players are influential. I just don't think he "led" them to the champions league.

Well in your genuinely honest opinion, do you think they would have won it anyway?

I think they probably would have but you can't state it as a fact like your are doing, anything could have happened.

You said he happened to be in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I think they probably would have but you can't state it as a fact like your are doing, anything could have happened.

You said he happened to be in the team.

It was in response to someone saying he led them to it, as if he pulled off a Kaka in 2007. More of an over-emphasis to make a point to those who won't admit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So they wouldn't have won without him?
    No I dont think they would have, but how can that be judged, without Messi would Barcelona have won their champions leagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

It was in response to someone saying he led them to it, as if he pulled off a Kaka in 2007. More of an over-emphasis to make a point to those who won't admit it

Did Kaka really win it all by himself, cause thats really belittling the rest of the team going by your logic. What about DIDA, wont someone please think of DIDA!!!!!

astonaidan wrote: »
    Did Kaka really win it all by himself, cause thats really belittling the rest of the team going by your logic. What about DIDA, wont someone please think of DIDA!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Penalties are something Ronaldo does better than Messi hence why one takes them for his team while the other doesnt for his. It's a skill. You can't just discount his penalties because Messi doesn't take them. It's taking away something Ronaldo is better at than Messi for no reason other than it produces goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Penalties are something Ronaldo does better than Messi hence why one takes them for his team while the other doesnt for his. It's a skill. You can't just discount his penalties because Messi doesn't take them. It's taking away something Ronaldo is better at than Messi for no reason other than it produces goals.
    There is very little between them statistically on penalites, maybe 1% or so in Ronaldo's favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is very little between them statistically on penalites, maybe 1% or so in Ronaldo's favour.

I think everybody just remembers Messi's v Chelsea and thinks he's bad at them

I'll never understand Ronaldo and Messi fanboys tbh and never will.

Anyway, on Ronaldo leading Madrid to fcuk all last season. He scored 17 goals in 11 apps on the way to Champions League glory.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'll never understand Ronaldo and Messi fanboys tbh and never will.

Don't be coy. You understand them perfectly. Neither of them have ever played for Liverpool though.

If Suarez has been in the running, we know what your fanboy cries would be. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tonight, Ronaldo dos Santos Aveira reserves a place for himself in the annals of history. To say this is historic is to say that a light bluish hue appears to be blue. A cacophony of cheers goes out across Europe and the world. It rings out across Manchester where he formerly played and therefore is immortalised and no less it rings out across the underdog island of Mediera; whence from which he came. The Primordial Soup.

The determination, the flair, the preened eyebrows are a testament to the man and the footballer that he is. 2015 is the year of the androgynous, the sublime, THE Ronaldo. Don't cry for me argentina - the truth is I never left you - because I was never there

Ronaldo: Ballon D'or

I fear this post will be under appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I fear this post will be under appreciated

A crying shame. It's glorious!

Kirby wrote: »
    Don't be coy. You understand them perfectly. Neither of them have ever played for Liverpool though.

If Suarez has been in the running, we know what your fanboy cries would be. :D

Ha, not really.

The two of them are quite a bit away from anyone else in world football and have been for a while.

Two in the same generation at similar ages battling it out year in year out is great tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

eagle eye wrote: »

you just made that up, messi has missed 16 penalties in his career so far, that is an awful record

Why are you including penalty shootouts in that?

If goals scored in shootouts don't count, misses don't count either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

bangkok wrote: »
    you just made that up, messi has missed 16 penalties in his career so far, that is an awful record

Real Madrid seemingly get awarded a lot more penalties than Barca do.

Anyway are you using that stat against Messi here when comparing his goalscoring record to Ronaldo? So he scores more or less as many goals as Ronaldo, but Ronaldo's total are made up of a lot more penalty kicks? That stat could be viewed in Messi's favour in these comparisons, given that more of his goals are not penalty kick goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ha, not really.

The two of them are quite a bit away from anyone else in world football and have been for a while.

Two in the same generation at similar ages battling it out year in year out is great tbh.

Just a shame some have to view one as "their guy" and the other as "the enemy", and desperately attempt to write off anything and everything they do as a result of it. It's splitting hairs between the two of them over their careers, I might lean towards Ronaldo but then again I would have a bias from his Man Utd days... basically in my opinion, Ronaldo would not have done as well as Messi has in that Barca team of the last 6-7 years, while Messi would not have done as well in those Madrid/Man Utd teams as Ronaldo did. Messi has the extra Ballon d'Or (and of course two more up until yesterday) while Ronaldo has won it in two different countries for two different teams... again, matters of preference.

Of course the scary thing is that when Barca bought Quaresma all the talk was that is was a coin toss between him and Ronaldo, with Man Utd picking up whichever they chose not to go for - Quaresma was a little older and was more polished at that point, which is the feeling why they went for him. Not sure if Ronaldo would have developed the same as he did under Ferguson's man management and Quieroz' tactical ability and history of developing young players (like the Portuguese side of the 90s) but imagine if he had gone there and had developed similar, alongside Xavi, Iniesta and co... and of course, Messi. :eek:

Ronaldo is better than messi now....end of

Ronaldo is better than messi now....end of

Fact....Not.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Fact....Not.

2 ballon dors in a row, and 33 goals already this season. not even an argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is it ok to applaud them as the 2 greatest players of their generation without having to belittle their acheivements.

Personally, I think Messi edges it down the years, but the way people down either is silly.

For me it was close between Ronaldo and Neuer, but the outfield player will get it 99% of the time.

Love watching Ronaldo I will make no apology for it. Have a soft spot for him cause he played for United woop de doo. He has done few cringe things alright, but he ain't only one.

Anyway, be interesting to see if anybody can get near Messi or Ronaldo for award this year.

2 ballon dors in a row, and 33 goals already this season. not even an argument

Messi is the better player of the two of them overall in their careers to date. You can argue if you like, that's my view on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ronaldo scores 17 goals in 11 games and breaks the goalscoring record in the competition. I then read all he done really was be in the starting team. He scored bucket load of goals against the defending Champions so they don't matter because they hammered them. Look up at who the poster is and then it makes more sense.

Barca for years have hammered teams so at what point do goals stop being important in a game. Should we discredit any goals after being 2-0 up because they are meaningless. Should we say because Messi scored loads of goals in hammerings they wouldn't have mattered anyway so they shouldn't be really counted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Messi is the better player of the two of them overall in their careers to date. You can argue if you like, that's my view on it.

Except the poster clearly said Ronaldo is better now so why are you moving the goalposts.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Except the poster clearly said Ronaldo is better now so why are you moving the goalposts.

I don't care who won the Ballon d'Or this particular year. The thread asks Messi or Ronaldo? I am saying (still) that I'd pick Messi. It's fairly straightforward.

I don't care who won the Ballon d'Or this particular year. The thread asks Messi or Ronaldo? I am saying (still) that I'd pick Messi. It's fairly straightforward.

thread was started 4 years ago..... Ronaldo IS NOW the best player in the world and has been for the last few years

thread was started 4 years ago..... Ronaldo IS NOW the best player in the world and has been for the last few years

Nope.

You could argue that Ronaldo deserved the ballon d'or this year for his performances for R Madrid, you could also argue in a world Cup year that the winner of the ballon d'or should turn up at the World Cup as well when his country is involved. Ballon d'or or not, Messi is still the best player in the world.

• Advertisement

Nope.

You could argue that Ronaldo deserved the ballon d'or this year for his performances for R Madrid, you could also argue in a world Cup year that the winner of the ballon d'or should turn up at the World Cup as well when his country is involved. Ballon d'or or not, Messi is still the best player in the world.

the same Ronaldo who scored a hat trick away to Sweden to get his country to a world cup and then went to the world cup clearly injured?!

anyway, no point talking to you, most footballing people would agree 100% that Ronaldo is now the best player in the world and has proved it the last few years

will-cristiano-ronaldo-recapture-the-ballon-dor-in-2015.jpg?w=600

hard luck citizen

the same Ronaldo who scored a hat trick away to Sweden to get his country to a world cup and then went to the world cup clearly injured?!

anyway, no point talking to you, most footballing people would agree 100% that Ronaldo is now the best player in the world and has proved it the last few years

Eh no, that's just like your opinion.

Are you the spokesman for most footballing people:pac:.

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/ballon-dor/playeroftheyear-men/02/50/58/45/fboaward_menplayer2014_neutral.pdf

like I said

will-cristiano-ronaldo-recapture-the-ballon-dor-in-2015.jpg?w=600

hard luck citizen

As I said earlier, I think I speak for most footballing people that you could argue he deserved the ballon d'or this year for his R Madrid performances but you could also argue that in a World Cup year the winner of the ballon d'or really ought to turn up at the World Cup and perform for his country. Messi is still number 1.

The thread is about who is the better player overall, not who won a poll in a particular year.

Messi is (still) the better player overall.

you could also argue that in a World Cup year the winner of the ballon d'or really ought to turn up at the World Cup and perform for his country. Messi is still number 1.

Yeah but I wouldn't hold that against him. It's very easy to underperform at the world cup.....3 games and you could be done. And If you get a tough group, it can very easily happen.

He has better players to play with at Madrid than with Portugal so that plays a factor too. Portugal have some excellent players but they also have a surprisingly large number of dross in their squad. Sure look at Sweden and Ibra....they didn't even make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Well he was voted player of the year by footballing people with about twice as many votes as messi.

Anyway you responded to post about best right noe by trying to change the point then rowing back.

As I said earlier, I think I speak for most footballing people that you could argue he deserved the ballon d'or this year for his R Madrid performances but you could also argue that in a World Cup year the winner of the ballon d'or really ought to turn up at the World Cup and perform for his country. Messi is still number 1.

Messi got pott at the WC but he didn't turn up. Wasn't even top 2 in his own team really. Wouldn't hold that against him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I presume you weren't happy with Messi winning the Ballon D'or in 2010 so, there were certainly more worthy players if the World Cup is the such a big factor.

Also it's not like Messi performed heroics last summer in the big games for Argentina. He was excellent in an average group, but then didn't perform like he can in the knockout stages and crucially in the final. I think most people acknowledge that him winning the Golden Ball was laughable. He was certainly better than Ronaldo but not to the extent that he should win the Ballon D'or over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah so he's not the spokesperson for most footballing people but you have self appointed
    yourself as such. Brilliant stuff.

Messi was Argentina's 3rd best player at the WC and I speak for all football people when I say that.

Well he was voted player of the year by footballing people with about twice as many votes as messi.

For the record I reckon Neuer should've got the ballon d'or this time around.

Anyway you responded to post about best right noe by trying to change the point then rowing back.

I haven't rowed back. I am saying quite clearly that Messi is (still) the best player in the world, despite the result of the ballon d'or poll for this particular year yesterday. Is that clear enough for ya.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah so he's not the spokesperson for most footballing people but you have self appointed
    yourself as such. Brilliant stuff.

Messi was Argentina's 3rd best player at the WC and I speak for all football people when I say that.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I disagree with that there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

How Messi won in 2010 is beyond ridiculous, he shouldnt have even been shortlisted for it, Xavi, Iniesta and Sniejder were all much better than him that year. He deserved it in 09 and 11 but the 2012 could easily have been won by Ronaldo. I think its testament to Ronaldo that he went 4 years without winning it and has now won it twice in a row. That's an achievement in itself!

They're picking the Ballon d'Or tonight, I think Messi should get it.

Messi says he's staying at Barcelona.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30773367

If he was to leave I think the only possible place for him to go to would be Bayern Munich.

you said that yesterday and now your saying Neuer should have won it??!!

haha gas man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Liam O wrote: »

Macherano and who else was better?
    Argentina wouldn't have come without an ass's roar of the final without Messi. He looked the only way Argentina could score.

elefant wrote: »
    Argentina wouldn't have come without an ass's roar of the final without Messi. He looked the only way Argentina could score.

di maria, he was voted best player for argentina last year

you said that yesterday and now your saying Neuer should have won it??!!

haha gas man

I changed my mind on that poll for the ballon d'or this year.

I haven't changed my mind on the answer to this thread's original question though, the answer to that is (still) Lionel Messi.

I changed my mind on that poll for the ballon d'or this year.

I haven't changed my mind on the answer to this thread's original question though, the answer to that is (still) Lionel Messi.

Sure that isnt going to change in the next 24? It might suit an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

elefant wrote: »

He looked the only way they could score while Di Maria was there to open up space for him and pass him the ball. The goals fairly dried up once Di Maria's fitness became an issue.

Advertisement