Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bangkok wrote: »
    di maria, he was voted best player for argentina last year

Very strong argument for Garay as well, they went something like 450 minutes with it conceding and he was a massive part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Sure that isnt going to change in the next 24? It might suit an agenda.

Nothing is going to happen in the 24 hours to make me change my answer to this thread's original question.

Agenda?, I'm giving my view on the thread question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nothing is going to happen in the 24 hours to make me change my answer to this thread's original question.

Agenda?, I'm giving my view on the thread question.

the threads original question was based on that time I would imagine 2011.

if you opened a new thread now, and asked "who is currently the best player in the world" Ronaldo wins...easy :)

do you support Liverpool by any chance?

:pac:No. I have no agenda mate, not in that regard anyway.

I wouldn't always agree with Ibrahimovich but on this comment I would tend to agree when he said; "Messi's a natural and Ronaldo's a product of training."

the threads original question was based on that time I would imagine 2011.

if you opened a new thread now, and asked "who is currently the best player in the world" Ronaldo wins...easy :)

I doubt it.

It would depend on the way you phrase the question of course, but if you were to open a new thread right now and title it as this one has been simply titled "Messi or Ronaldo?" I would say that it would still be Messi, for me it would be anyway.

• Advertisement

I doubt it.

It would depend on the way you phrase the question of course, but if you were to open a new thread right now and title it as this one has been simply titled "Messi or Ronaldo?" I would say that it would still be Messi, for me it would be anyway.

WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Robben.

WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME?

That's easy. Messi.:)

That's easy. Messi.:)

and yet an hour ago you though neuer should have won it.... :rolleyes:

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They're as good as each other, have been for ages, slightly different types of players, and Ronaldo is in better form the last two years or so. Anyone arguing strongly against any of those points is simply wrong.

• Advertisement

and yet an hour ago you though neuer should have won it.... :rolleyes:

good luck

I think your preferred thread title is "Who deserved to win the ballon d'or this year?" not "WHO IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME?" as you stated earlier. That's a different question.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

di maria, he was voted best player for argentina last year

In that case, I totally disagree. Messi was far better than Di Maria in my eyes. Man of the match in every group game and the last 16.

Garay, as someone else mentioned, would have been the only player I would have thought you could have even argued for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

elefant wrote: »
    In that case, I totally disagree. Messi was far better than Di Maria in my eyes. Man of the match in every group game and the last 16.

And virtually anonymous from that point on.

If Messi had turned up after the group stages maybe Argentina would have looked like scoring a few times and won the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Like Ronaldo in most games so

Like Ronaldo in most games so

I didn't realise Ronaldo was in the running for Argentina's best player at the world cup?

You do realise that was the discussion, right?

If Messi had turned up after the group stages maybe Argentina would have looked like scoring a few times and won the thing.

He also was man of the match and created the goal to beat the Swiss out of nothing in the second round when everyone else on the Argentinian team looked completely toothless, and then he was also excellent against Belgium in the quarters. He didn't score against Holland sure, but pretty much nobody did. I thought he was okay in the final, if not his usual best.

How was Di Maria in Argentina's games? Since he apparently was Argentina's next best player after Mascherano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

elefant wrote: »
    He also was man of the match and created the goal to beat the Swiss out of nothing in the second round when everyone else on the Argentinian team looked completely toothless, and then he was also excellent against Belgium in the quarters. He didn't score against Holland sure, but pretty much nobody did. I thought he was okay in the final, if not his usual best.

How was Di Maria in Argentina's games? Since he apparently was Argentina's next best player after Mascherano?

Was that the goal to beat the Swiss that Di Maria scored? Just in case you forgot that considering you strangely left it out of your post?

When Di Maria got injured Messi was toothless because there was nobody to get him the ball and open up space behind him. Argentina have plenty of top goalscorers but only one player who was able to drop deep and create, which is what I'm sure they wanted Messi to do but only Di Maria did. If Di Maria is fit then he could have swung the whole WC in Argentina's favour, that's how much of a loss I regard him to those last couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Liam O wrote: »
    Was that the goal to beat the Swiss that Di Maria scored? Just in case you forgot that considering you strangely left it out of your post?

When Di Maria got injured Messi was toothless because there was nobody to get him the ball and open up space behind him. Argentina have plenty of top goalscorers but only one player who was able to drop deep and create, which is what I'm sure they wanted Messi to do but only Di Maria did. If Di Maria is fit then he could have swung the whole WC in Argentina's favour, that's how much of a loss I regard him to those last couple of games.

Sure, he scored against Switzerland, after Messi ran through the defence and put him one-on-one with the keeper. Is that the kind of creation you mean?
    And is the entire case for Di Maria being better than Messi in the world cup that Messi didn't score in the last two games?

Not saying Di Maria wasn't good, and obviously he was a huge loss to them as you say, but I just cannot understand how anyone can think he was better than Messi at the world cup. There is nothing he actually did that backs this up; Messi was better than him in every single game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

darced wrote: »

He really won't though.

• Advertisement

what are you on about?

Not only the world cup, but his anonymous paltry showing in the champions league final too. All the Madrid players busting a gut trying to get up and down the field and get on the ball and try and make something happen, whilst Ronaldo disappears in obscurity.

I wouldn't say it's anything to do with him being a big game player or not though. He tends to score bucket loads against crap teams, or when the Madrid juggernaut will steam roll teams regardless. You rarely see him trying to make anything happen, and he likes giving the ball off and running straight to the box every time to try and score. It's all about personal glory for him. This really gets exposed in finals where he rarely scores as the standard tends to be higher and its a more cagey affair. Here the world see that when he doesn't score, he's actually next to anonymous in games. He doesn't possess the attributes to majorly influence how a team plays.

It's all well and good countering this with "only goals" and using the roll eyes emoticon. But the thing is Messi will also get the goals, but he also has alot more to his game than just scoring goals for a fair comparison. It's disingenuous to Messi to compare them to be honest. It's no surprise that the majority of people here who big up Ronaldo tend to be United fans. Most neutrals can see what I'm saying.

Not only the world cup, but his anonymous paltry showing in the champions league final too. All the Madrid players busting a gut trying to get up and down the field and get on the ball and try and make something happen, whilst Ronaldo disappears in obscurity.

I wouldn't say it's anything to do with him being a big game player or not though. He tends to score bucket loads against crap teams, or when the Madrid juggernaut will steam roll teams regardless. You rarely see him trying to make anything happen, and he likes giving the ball off and running straight to the box every time to try and score. It's all about personal glory for him. This really gets exposed in finals where he rarely scores as the standard tends to be higher and its a more cagey affair. Here the world see that when he doesn't score, he's actually next to anonymous in games. He doesn't possess the attributes to majorly influence how a team plays.

It's all well and good countering this with "only goals" and using the roll eyes emoticon. But the thing is Messi will also get the goals, but he also has alot more to his game than just scoring goals for a fair comparison. It's disingenuous to Messi to compare them to be honest. It's no surprise that the majority of people here who big up Ronaldo tend to be United fans. Most neutrals can see what I'm saying.

you do know he shouldn't have played the champions league final or gone to the world cup at all?! I presume you know all about the injury he had when the doctors even advised him not to play?

what about when he destroyed Bayern munich the European champions at the time in their own back yard? 2 goals to knock Manchester united out of Europe?

scoring in 6 el clasicos straight and breaking the record whilst doing so.

qucikest real Madrid player to score 100, 150 and 200 goals..

you are talking the brown stuff

doesn't score in finals? scored in 2 Champions league finals, and FA cup final, a league cup final, copa del rey final, world club cup final... not sure there are many more finals he could have scored in apart from world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm a Liverpool fan and I think your posts are pure garbage sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The guy single handidly beat Sweden to get Portugal to Brazil. Without him Portugal would have been in big trouble. He scored the only goal in the home leg and a hat trick in Sweden.
    He was also injured during the World Cup something the Messi fanboys bring up about his performances dropping at the start of last season.

He can't even get a proper injury Bill!!!

• Advertisement

Yes injured, have a little google there and see for yourself. Do a bit of research on Tendinosis.
    No he wasn't.

you do know he shouldn't have played the champions league final or gone to the world cup at all?! I presume you know all about the injury he had when the doctors even advised him not to play?

what about when he destroyed Bayern munich the European champions at the time in their own back yard? 2 goals to knock Manchester united out of Europe?

scoring in 6 el clasicos straight and breaking the record whilst doing so.

qucikest real Madrid player to score 100, 150 and 200 goals..

you are talking the brown stuff

doesn't score in finals? scored in 2 Champions league finals, and FA cup final, a league cup final, copa del rey final, world club cup final... not sure there are many more finals he could have scored in apart from world cup

Glancing over the post his "greatness" is once again determined on nothing other than his goals. It's like saying Gerd Muller is better than Maradonna because he scored more goals, or Darren Bent and Heskey were more effective Premiership players than Berkamp. Total rubbish. Like when your classing him scoring goals in finals to say he played well, ala last years final, it's being completely disingenuous, when he did nothing for the entire game, and it was already won by the time he was handed a peno. You actually go and watch all those finals again, and he was next to near anonymity, especially last years final and when Barca beat United in 09.

Again these goals are all well and good, if there wasn't someone around who was just a prolific. But Messi has far more dept to his game for there to be a genuine comparison. He has the goals, and alot more. Ronaldo doesn't. It's the reason Ronaldo fans can only point to a world class Ronaldo performances by saying how many goals he scored in a particular game. Never how he dictated or controlled a game, bended it to his will, sliced opponents open with raw vision and passing and talent. He doesn't have the ability. All the true greats possessed these attributes. Crujff, Maradona, Platini, Zindane etc. They could control games, bring their team to far greater heights and win games single handedly without even scoring. It's for this reason Ronaldo will never be anywhere close to that bracket of greatness. His "greatness" is stats and nothing more

messi has never scored a goal from play in an English club ground....EVER stick that in your pipes and smoke it

messi has never scored a goal from play in an English club ground....EVER stick that in your pipes and smoke it

He never scored in a club ground in outer mongolia or lesotho either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ummm. Wembley.

Glancing over the post his "greatness" is once again determined on nothing other than his goals. It's like saying Gerd Muller is better than Maradonna because he scored more goals, or Darren Bent and Heskey were more effective Premiership players than Berkamp. Total rubbish. Like when your classing him scoring goals in finals to say he played well, ala last years final, it's being completely disingenuous, when he did nothing for the entire game, and it was already won by the time he was handed a peno. You actually go and watch all those finals again, and he was next to near anonymity, especially last years final and when Barca beat United in 09.

Again these goals are all well and good, if there wasn't someone around who was just a prolific. But Messi has far more dept to his game for there to be a genuine comparison. He has the goals, and alot more. Ronaldo doesn't. It's the reason Ronaldo fans can only point to a world class Ronaldo performances by saying how many goals he scored in a particular game. Never how he dictated or controlled a game, bended it to his will, sliced opponents open with raw vision and passing and talent. He doesn't have the ability. All the true greats possessed these attributes. Crujff, Maradona, Platini, Zindane etc. They could control games, bring their team to far greater heights and win games single handedly without even scoring. It's for this reason Ronaldo will never be anywhere close to that bracket of greatness. His "greatness" is stats and nothing more

honest question, do you understand football?! since when has a winger/striker EVER controlled a game, that is usually the centre midfield player that does that, like a xavi or a scholes. even messi never dictated or controlled a game.

and you keep going on about goals, Ronaldo had 22 assists last season and this season is top of the assists charts again

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ummm. Wembley.

what club team plays at Wembley?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yes he has. Ironically it was a penalty.

Golden Miller, as a quote above, Messi has natural ability, Ronaldo had to train for it. He is still a great player. He doesn't dictate games you say. He also just passes the ball and runs into the box to score goals. That seems like dictating play to me, cos when he gets it in the box, he will most likely score. He can dictate without the ball at his feet.

EDIT: missed the from play part re: Messi

He never scored in a club ground in outer mongolia or lesotho either

he has played in England around 10 times now.... ZERO goals from play

Ah well at the end of the day one man is going home with the trophy while the other is folding away is maroon suit, ready for next year, with the tears and bitterness of his fanboys to console him.

It's really quite sad some can't admit Ronaldo has outperformed him the last two years even if in their opinion Messi is the better player. It's sad and the childish attempts to downplay his achievements and talk utter nonsense about his influence is gas. So much unquantifiable bull**** that supposedly Messi does and Ronaldo can't which are all untrue. They both do things the other cant but you'd swear it was Van Persue being compared to Messi.
    That those people can't acknowledge what a great he is tells a lot about them.

id say you never have seen 5 full games that cruyff or platini have ever played

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ummm. Wembley.

What club plays at Wembley? Might buy a season ticket, it's a great stadium would love to go there every week. Ummmm....

So? He played extremely well in alot of them, like in 08 v united, where Ronaldo was once again anonymous and Barca were in disarray that season, yet Messi, a kid just back from injury, dictated the whole game to United and were extremely unlucky to lose. It's performances like that, that Ronaldo ain't capable off. Or against Chelsea the previous season were he caused havoc and Del Horno (think it was him) got a red fouling him

So? He played extremely well in alot of them, like in 08 v united, where Ronaldo was once again anonymous and Barca were in disarray that season, yet Messi, a kid just back from injury, dictated the whole game to United and were extremely unlucky to lose. It's performances like that, that Ronaldo ain't capable off. Or against Chelsea the previous season were he caused havoc and Del Horno (think it was him) got a red fouling him

ahhhh he played well, bless the young chap

Mushy wrote: »
    Yes he has. Ironically it was a penalty.

Golden Miller, as a quote above, Messi has natural ability, Ronaldo had to train for it. He is still a great player. He doesn't dictate games you say. He also just passes the ball and runs into the box to score goals. That seems like dictating play to me, cos when he gets it in the box, he will most likely score. He can dictate without the ball at his feet.

EDIT: missed the from play part re: Messi

Doesn't work that well when things aren't going for you and you need a player to stand up and be counted, grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And he's also completely taken Manchester United apart in two Champions League finals. What's your point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1y1Krso2Bs

imagine the meltdown if Ronaldo did this?!!

If we are going to pick out one off games to criticise how come Messi was anonymous against Bayernn in Germany, a team Ronaldo supposedly had minimal influence against despite dominating and scoring?
    What about the semi final games against Chelsea? He even missed a penalty that would have finished it but he missed and an average chelsea came storming back with 10 men. How come Messi and his amazing influence couldn't save them then against 10 men?

ahhhh he played well, bless the young chap

Ye I know, if you don't get goals it's irrevevant. You better tell Berkamp that Darren Bent is better than him

Are you gonna try and tell me the player who went on to win world player of the year that year, was anywhere close to Messi's level during that tie, in a game where neither scored. One dictated the game, the other was anonymous. Says alot about their ability and influence when neither scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Doesn't work that well when things aren't going for you and you need a player to stand up and be counted, grab the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate the game

And as mentioned, for his position, when do you see that happen?

For what its worth, I prefer seeing Messi on the ball and as a player, but belittling Ronaldo is blatantly childish. He's deserved all the accolades he has received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

bullvine wrote:
    How Messi won in 2010 is beyond ridiculous, he shouldnt have even been shortlisted for it, Xavi, Iniesta and Sniejder were all much better than him that year. He deserved it in 09 and 11 but the 2012 could easily have been won by Ronaldo. I think its testament to Ronaldo that he went 4 years without winning it and has now won it twice in a row. That's an achievement in itself!

2012? The year where Messi scored 91 goals? And you say it could have gone to Ronaldo? Stop please.

Also this talk of Messi not turning up at the World Cup is ridiculous. 4 fabulous goals to get Argentina through the group, an assist in the last 16 for Di Maria's winner in extra time, 3-4 man of the match awards - all done as captain, he led his country to the final and nearly won it.

He was brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement