Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Its a logical comparison in fairness, both greats, both Argentinian, both played for Barcelona, both associated with drugs, they were always going to get compared.

I didnt even considered any of those options but the fact they were both great

And I am surprised you are too as you said, and I quote

"It would be very hard not to pick Maradona in that example. That man was a warrior who dragged poor teams to victory, if I had a team of schmucks and one good player, I'd want that player to be Maradona."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The warm up was defo against Bayern iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fryup wrote: »
    yes, but its the way he did it, its all about him not the team

even a few weeks back during the QF when Hernandez scored, Ronaldo celebrated on his own as if he scored the goal himself, he's got an ego the size of an elephants arse...you don't get that with Messi
    So what's your opinion of Messi sulking around the fringes of the half time in extra time team talk before just walking away from it during the World Cup final?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bohrio wrote: »
    All those stories about Messi doing this, saying this, etc are just rumors... and with this I mean there is no evidence of any of this (although I am not saying it isnt true).

I think a lot of it stems for a lot of people from the Ibrahimovic book, the 'you're here to pass it to me' stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

dfx- wrote: »
    I think a lot of it stems for a lot of people from the Ibrahimovic book, the 'you're here to pass it to me' stuff.

Their relationship is quite warm and Ibrahimovic always has good things to say about Messi. Apparently Ibra was unhappy that Messi had been asked to play through the middle which pretty much killed Ibra's Barcelona career. Whether you believe that account, or a different account I've read that it was Guardiola's idea to use him through the center as a false 9 to bamboozle Real Madrid is a different matter.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »

IBra always blamed Guardiola for his failure at Barcelona. And we all know Ibra, his mood is up and down as a yo-yo. Ibras carrer at Barcelona was far from perfect for him and he has never got over this inability to succeed or at least to adapt, where others do now (like Neymar, Suarez etc). I always blame this on an ego problem.

To be honest, what one people say in a book doesnt make it true either, I am not saying Messi didnt say it, I am just saying this would not be enough prove to convince me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Also, to be fair, Messi was what, 20? when Ibrahimovic went to Barca. I'd hope that people aren't judging Ronaldo (or anyone for that matter) on what he was like at 20.

I wouldn't like anyone to judge me on anything I said or did at 20 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Whats funny is Argentines generally prefer Masherano :pac::pac: #Passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

astonaidan wrote: »
    Whats funny is Argentines generally prefer Masherano :pac::pac: #Passion

Messi's never torn his hoop for his country.

400 goals < 1 torn hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I've just searched this thread for Pastore. There's not even a single mention of the guy. He's clearly the best of the pair according to Cantona. Jeez, boards get with the program.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

It really has to be admired how Messi has played since Ronaldo won the Ballon D'Or. It appears to have been a turning point for him. Although he doesn't show it publicly like Ronaldo sometimes does, but I'm sure Messi thrives on the Messi v Ronaldo rivalry too. It seems to have brought him onto another level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think Luis Enrique deserves huge credit. His fitness regime for the players really shows. Compare that with the stamina they had the previous year. Messi is even considerably slimmer this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The question is always 'has Ronaldo been as good as Messi?', it's never has messi been as good as Ronaldo.

Messi is the benchmark and will go down in the top 10 greatest ever soccer players, Ronaldo top 100 maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The question is always 'has Ronaldo been as good as Messi?', it's never has messi been as good as Ronaldo.

Messi is the benchmark and will go down in the top 10 greatest ever soccer players, Ronaldo top 100 maybe.

They will both go down in the top 5, possibly the top 3.

They will both go down in the top 5, possibly the top 3.

I am sorry but putting Ronaldo on the top 3 in the history of football (that's at the same level of Pele, Cruyff, di stefano or Maradona) is IMO completely wrong.

I can think of many players better than Ronaldo just in the last 15 years (Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, just to mention a few).

In fact, at the moment, I find James much more important to Real's game than Ronaldo.

I have watched Ronaldo play many times, and I still dont understand how people can put him on such a high pedestal, very few players have ever left me speechless, which that feeling of "what did he just do there" type of thing, Messi, Ronaldo (the real one), Ronaldinho, Romario, Zidane, etc were among them, never him.

I admire his perseverance and his ambition, he is excellent but nowhere close to, let say, any of the greatest 50 players of all time.

He would be at the same level or slightly below (again IMO) of Stoichkov, Bebeto, Romario etc and that is saying a lot.

Also, I dont think he would be considered better than Eusebio.

I would also like to see what he is going to do when he stops being the main star in Real (James is showing really good projection).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I am sorry but putting Ronaldo on the top 3 in the history of football (that's at the same level of Pele, Cruyff, di stefano or Maradona) is IMO completely wrong.

I can think of many players better than Ronaldo just in the last 15 years (Zidane, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, just to mention a few).

In fact, at the moment, I find James much more important to Real's game than Ronaldo.

I have watched Ronaldo play many times, and I still dont understand how people can put him on such a high pedestal, very few players have ever left me speechless, which that feeling of "what did he just do there" type of thing, Messi, Ronaldo (the real one), Ronaldinho, Romario, Zidane, etc were among them, never him.

I admire his perseverance and his ambition, he is excellent but nowhere close to, let say, any of the greatest 50 players of all time.

He would be at the same level or slightly below (again IMO) of Stoichkov, Bebeto, Romario etc and that is saying a lot.

Also, I dont think he would be considered better than Eusebio.

I would also like to see what he is going to do when he stops being the main star in Real (James is showing really good projection).

He is scoring 50+ goals a season regularly, 429 goals in 619 games at only 30. Barring an injury he has another 5 years left at his current level, he is a phenom and if it wasn't for Messi he would be spoken of as the greatest of all time IMO.

To say he is barely in the top 50 of all time is laughable, saying he is below Bebeto and Romario is one of the most ludicrous statements I have ever read in my entire life.

He is scoring 50+ goals a season regularly, 429 goals in 619 games at only 30. Barring an injury he has another 5 years left at his current level, he is a phenom and if it wasn't for Messi he would be spoken of as the greatest of all time IMO.

To say he is barely in the top 50 of all time is laughable, saying he is below Bebeto and Romario is one of the most ludicrous statements I have ever read in my entire life.

What a coincidence, I feel the same when people say he is on the top 3 and I feel that comparing Ronaldo to players like the "real" Ronaldo is laughable

Scoring goals doesnt make him on the top 3, sorry but I just dont see it that way.

If you measure being on the top x by the amount of goals you score you are doing it wrong...

If that was the case then Ger Muller had a 537 goals in 618 games, while Ronaldo has 537 apperances and 358 goals, by your standards then Muller should be much better than Ronaldo...

Also, most of his success if due to an impressive physical power, the older he gets the slower/less powerful he is going to get... most players lose their strengh as they reach their early 30s, I believe however, that Ronaldo's physique is quite unique so I can agree he might be able to pull it off for another 5 years the problem is that there are already players (as I said James is looking as the new main star in Real Madrid) who are getting at his same level right now... when this happens I dont see him staying at Real for much longer and he would probably like to move on to another team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oranage2 wrote: »

Name a 100 players better then Ronaldo?.

Messi is on a diferent level at the moment. Messi is better then Ronaldo, but i still like see 100 players better then him

What a coincidence, I feel the same when people say he is on the top 3 and I feel that comparing Ronaldo to players like the "real" Ronaldo is laughable

Scoring goals doesnt make him on the top 3, sorry but I just dont see it that way.

If you measure being on the top x by the amount of goals you score you are doing it wrong...

If that was the case then Ger Muller had a 537 goals in 618 games, while Ronaldo has 537 apperances and 358 goals, by your standards then Muller should be much better than Ronaldo...

Also, most of his success if due to an impressive physical power, the older he gets the slower/less powerful he is going to get... most players lose their strengh as they reach their early 30s, I believe however, that Ronaldo's physique is quite unique so I can agree he might be able to pull it off for another 5 years the problem is that there are already players (as I said James is looking as the new main star in Real Madrid) who are getting at his same level right now... when this happens I dont see him staying at Real for much longer and he would probably like to move on to another team

I thought the two first leg ties this past week were a perfect example of Messi compared to Ronaldo. Ronaldo scored against Juventus, sure it was a tap in but he did what Ronaldo does, he scored. Other than the goal though what else did he do? I mean Bale got a tonne of criticism, and rightly so, for being practically invisible but, after scoring, I didn't see Ronaldo too many times either. As Balague said, this season Ronaldo seems to have made a decision to get even less involved with the build up play and place his starting position 20 yards closer to the goal.
    In comparison, even before his 2 wonder goals, Messi was constantly on the ball, constantly looking to create, his perfectly lofted pass through to Neymar or his flicked header onto Suarez should have been moment to break the deadlock. While Ronaldo has moved forward 20 yards, Messi has moved 20 yards deeper to get even more involved with the build up play and become an even more integral part of the team and yet he still matches Ronaldo for goals.

Nobody is doubting Ronaldo is a great goalscorer, but I think that the more he has focused on that, the more his build up play has greatly suffered. Messi does it all and is involved in practically everything Barcelona do, sometimes from start to finish, he doesn't just arrive at the finish like Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I thought the two first leg ties this past week were a perfect example of Messi compared to Ronaldo. Ronaldo scored against Juventus, sure it was a tap in but he did what Ronaldo does, he scored. Other than the goal though what else did he do? I mean Bale got a tonne of criticism, and rightly so, for being practically invisible but, after scoring, I didn't see Ronaldo too many times either. As Balague said, this season Ronaldo seems to have made a decision to get even less involved with the build up play and place his starting position 20 yards closer to the goal.
    In comparison, even before his 2 wonder goals, Messi was constantly on the ball, constantly looking to create, his perfectly lofted pass through to Neymar or his flicked header onto Suarez should have been moment to break the deadlock. While Ronaldo has moved forward 20 yards, Messi has moved 20 yards deeper to get even more involved with the build up play and become an even more integral part of the team and yet he still matches Ronaldo for goals.

Nobody is doubting Ronaldo is a great goalscorer, but I think that the more he has focused on that, the more his build up play has greatly suffered. Messi does it all and is involved in practically everything Barcelona do, sometimes from start to finish, he doesn't just arrive at the finish like Ronaldo.
    Ronaldo was the main striker in that game yes? He scored. Away to Juve. Not an easy thing to do and it was an important goal. If he was in his old left winger position he would be involved more, Real have just signed players that allow him to be where he can be more effective for their game plan. To say he just arrives at the finish is a ridiculous statement when the whole attack is based around getting him the ball in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ronaldo hasn't been a left winger in years...he's been a left forward

Liam O wrote: »
    Ronaldo was the main striker in that game yes? He scored. Away to Juve. Not an easy thing to do and it was an important goal. If he was in his old left winger position he would be involved more, Real have just signed players that allow him to be where he can be more effective for their game plan. To say he just arrives at the finish is a ridiculous statement when the whole attack is based around getting him the ball in these situations.

I think I acknowledged Ronaldo scoring? Yes, I did. I remarked twice in my post that he is an incredible goalscorer, maybe one of the all time great goalscorers. Perhaps he would have done more in the build up play had he been on the left wing, only he's played left wing for almost his entire time at Madrid and it's been pretty clear to see that getting involved in the build up play isn't his fortay. It's simply not his strength, those short intricate exchanges, finding space between the lines and controlling it in tight areas, picking out passes that you, sitting at home on your wide screen tv can't even see, that's not what Ronaldo does. I think saying that he arrives at the finish is entirely fair and a pretty accurate description really.

Can you imagine Barcelona signing players to do Messi's playmaker job for him? Of course not, because he's the best at it. Ronaldo isn't a playmaker, he's a goalscorer, an amazing goalscorer, Messi is a playmaker, a great playmaker, he is also a great goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ronaldo not one of the top 100 players? This thread just went full retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It has been written in this thread that bebeto was a better player than Ronaldo.

Close thread now.

Edit : why, when talking about Ronaldo do people refer to goals scored as if they are just a small part of the game. " Yes he scores a goal every single game but he can't keep possession in midfield or he didn't put in a good cross "

The aim of the game of football is to put the ball in the opposition net while keeping them out of yourself. He has been one of the greatest players of all time and if people can't see this with there own eyes then look at what he has won, both individually and with two of the biggest clubs in the world. Then have a look at his scoring stats.

Just because he is egotistical and doesn't come across as humble as maybe messi or zidane doesn't mean he's not a phenomenon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ronaldo reportedly donates 7 Million euro to the Nepal fund

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/liga-cristiano-ronaldo-donates-5-million-aid-nepal-073629717--sow.html

Fair play to him, before its pointed out, I know he can well afford it but its not the first time he's been involved in charitable events, Might as well use all his followers for good purposes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Ronaldo is the 2nd best player. How can people say hes not in the top 100?? Thats ridiculous tbh. Im not a fan if ronaldo but I do rate him as been in the top 5 of all time. Messi will be the best of all time imo

tastyt wrote: »
    It has been written in this thread that bebeto was a better player than Ronaldo.

Close thread now.

Edit : why, when talking about Ronaldo do people refer to goals scored as if they are just a small part of the game. " Yes he scores a goal every single game but he can't keep possession in midfield or he didn't put in a good cross "

The aim of the game of football is to put the ball in the opposition net while keeping them out of yourself. He has been one of the greatest players of all time and if people can't see this with there own eyes then look at what he has won, both individually and with two of the biggest clubs in the world. Then have a look at his scoring stats.

Just because he is egotistical and doesn't come across as humble as maybe messi or zidane doesn't mean he's not a phenomenon

I said at the same level or slightly below than Stoichkov (actually I think Hristo was better), Bebeto, Romario, which I think it is true, you can also include Rivaldo, Van Basten, etc.

I have seen Romario do things with the ball that Cristiano would only dream off

Ronaldo not one of the top 100 players? This thread just went full retard.

Actually it was 100 all time players not current players (not my words though)

[qupte]Edit : why, when talking about Ronaldo do people refer to goals scored as if they are just a small part of the game. " Yes he scores a goal every single game but he can't keep possession in midfield or he didn't put in a good cross "

Just because he is egotistical and doesn't come across as humble as maybe messi or zidane doesn't mean he's not a phenomenon[/quote]

Because scoring goals is not what makes a players to be in the top 5, it is more than that, I put the example of Ger Muller, probably one of if not the best european scorer of all times, but he has never been considered the best players ever not even in the top 10.

People are putting Ronaldo before Cruyff, Pele, Maradona, Di Stefano, Garrincha, Schiaffino, etc.. and that is IMO wrong, this players are who they are not "only" because they score goals but because they could do things that nobody else could, they were leaders, they could win games by themselves, and when you saw them play they had this special magic around them. I never saw Pele, Garrincha etc play, but I saw more recent players such as Maradona and he was just unbelievable, everytime he would grab the ball you were expecting the impossible, recently only players like Ronaldo nazario, Ronaldinho, Zidane and Messi have given me the same feeling... Ronaldo is scarey, because he a lethal striker, same as Romario was, and many others before him

Close thread now.

Everybody agrees that he's a great goalscorer, one of the best goslscorers ever. Personally I think Ronaldo is in the top 20 players ever, maybe even top 10. However just there in your post is the big problem I have with Ronaldo. You basically say he scores goals therefore he is the best, you even seem to acknowledge the massive chasm in his overall play compared to Messi. Yet when you compare Ronaldo to Gerd Muller, another great goalscorer, the Ronaldo fans scoff and say he is more than a goalscorer, as though the comparison is an insult when it's actually meant as a compliment. He's a phenomenal goalscorer, like Muller, but also like Muller it's all about the goals for Ronaldo and little else, little to capture the imagination of football fans like Messi has, like Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Zidane and Di Stefano did before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Everybody agrees that he's a great goalscorer, one of the best goslscorers ever. Personally I think Ronaldo is in the top 20 players ever, maybe even top 10. However just there in your post is the big problem I have with Ronaldo. You basically say he scores goals therefore he is the best, you even seem to acknowledge the massive chasm in his overall play compared to Messi. Yet when you compare Ronaldo to Gerd Muller, another great goalscorer, the Ronaldo fans scoff and say he is more than a goalscorer, as though the comparison is an insult when it's actually meant as a compliment. He's a phenomenal goalscorer, like Muller, but also like Muller it's all about the goals for Ronaldo and little else, little to capture the imagination of football fans like Messi has, like Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Zidane and Di Stefano did before him.

I understand the argument but Muller was more of a finisher in and around the box or even six yard box.

We have seen Ronaldo smash many goals in from 30 yards or pick the ball up out wide or near the half way line and beat players before scoring.

I think that is where Ronaldo is superior to a lot of the great finishers like Muller, van basten , romario etc.

• Advertisement

I understand the argument but Muller was more of a finisher in and around the box or even six yard box.

We have seen Ronaldo smash many goals in from 30 yards or pick the ball up out wide or near the half way line and beat players before scoring.

I think that is where Ronaldo is superior to a lot of the great finishers like Muller, van basten , romario etc.

That is true, Romario etc would never (or rarely) score such goals, I feel C Ronaldo is a bit like George Weah, but with more quality and a more powerful kick (and more accurate).

Ronaldo Nazario was, IMO, very "similar" to him in regards physical power, he had the power to do that but RN was also better skilled (IMO). C Ronaldos goals are mostly about physical strength and overpowering other players. Which is great as well but not enough to make him better than, for instance, Ronaldo Nazario. Now I have seen him score goals where he would dribble a few players and score but they are unusual (from the top of my head I can remember that goal he scored against Atletico Madrid)

The main problem with Ronaldo N was that he could only keep his physical strength for a few years while C Ronaldo has been on peak form for a while.

And this is why Messi is considered by some to be in the top 5 or 10 of all times, he can do all that Ronaldo does plus much more (again IMO)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

IBra always blamed Guardiola for his failure at Barcelona. And we all know Ibra, his mood is up and down as a yo-yo. Ibras carrer at Barcelona was far from perfect for him and he has never got over this inability to succeed or at least to adapt, where others do now (like Neymar, Suarez etc). I always blame this on an ego problem.

To be honest, what one people say in a book doesnt make it true either, I am not saying Messi didnt say it, I am just saying this would not be enough prove to convince me.

I don't think Ibra's criticism is relevant at all moreso than someone who didn't fit in at a squad level, but there's not many sources of criticism of Messi or even record of Messi's character off the pitch, so people go with it and want to believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The gong got very tough for Real tonight and where was the Ballon Dor? Once again in the big game he was nowhere to be found and handed the title to Barca with his penalty attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

gimmick wrote: »
    The gong got very tough for Real tonight and where was the Ballon Dor? Once again in the big game he was nowhere to be found and handed the title to Barca with his penalty attempt.

I am a critic of Ronaldo's, but to be fair to him, he netted a hat trick at the Sanchez Pizjuan last week which kept them in the title race. That was a huge game v Sevilla. And he netted a crucial away goal against Juve midweek. He did not have a great game tonight for sure, but the game was lost by Real's defence.

Tevez and Morata will be licking their lips at the prospect of getting at that Real back 4 on the counter on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is nonsense. Ronaldo has come up with the goods in most of Real's biggest games to keep them afloat. His first 4 months of 2015 have been vastly inferior to Messi, but that's ok after 2 deserved Ballon D'ors especially when you consider just how good Messi has been.

The players around him haven't been performing which doesn't help. I'm not suggesting Messi needs the help but having Neymar and Suarez beside him certainly does help. But even in big games when things haven't been going their way, Ronaldo has popped up with important goals (yes I know to some that's a dirty word), take the away goal that has kept Real in with a chance of the Champions League for instance, or the hattrick v Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Fairly funny in fairness Messi is the best of all time and Ronaldo not in the top 100. Yet Ronaldo has won the ballon dor the last two years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Fairly funny in fairness Messi is the best of all time and Ronaldo not in the top 100. Yet Ronaldo has won the ballon dor the last two years

Won on form rather than talent, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ehh.... that's what the award is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Clearly. That's what the award is for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CSF wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Ronaldo has come up with the goods in most of Real's biggest games to keep them afloat. His first 4 months of 2015 have been vastly inferior to Messi, but that's ok after 2 deserved Ballon D'ors especially when you consider just how good Messi has been.

The players around him haven't been performing which doesn't help. I'm not suggesting Messi needs the help but having Neymar and Suarez beside him certainly does help. But even in big games when things haven't been going their way, Ronaldo has popped up with important goals (yes I know to some that's a dirty word), take the away goal that has kept Real in with a chance of the Champions League for instance, or the hattrick v Sevilla.

So his no show last night was acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is there anyone who isn't a man-u fan, real Madrid fan or Portuguese think ronaldo is better than messi?

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »

But the thing is that Suarez and Neymar are not really the ones helping Messi but the other way around. Messi makes them look good, and this is the main thing. Most of their goals have come from Messi's assists.

Ronaldos team mates (James, Kroos, etc) have been performing well (personally think that James has been showing really good progression and soon he will be the main star at Real) even Chicharito, the only exception is your man Bale who hasn't really done anything and people are finding it hard to justify his high cost but that is another matter.

Ronaldo tried yesterday, but he wasnt having his day, and he knew it, but instead of letting someone else throw the penalty he decided to throw it himself, same with a few free kicks etc. This clearly didnt help. It looks like he is just to worry of not scoring (hence why he got angry when Arbeola scored last weekend). His ego is just to great, he also loves to feel the winner, like he is the man (which in many cases he is) and this sometimes doesnt work well in his favor, a clear example would be the eurocup semifinal against Spain, when he decided to throw the last penalty (or so it was claimed) instead of, for instance, the first one (which is normally the most difficult as it takes the pressure away from players), just because he wanted his goal to be the decisive one...

Like someone already said, he is a competitive player, but sometimes this loses him. Last weekend Messi let Neymar throw a penalty just because Neymar wasnt having his day, even though the "Pichichi" was a stake... Ronaldo needs to realize that there is a team behind him and that he is part of it... Once he does that the team will do much better, he might not score as many goals but in the end, this is not all about goals.

So his no show last night was acceptable?

Of course, nobody can save their team every week. They all have off nights, Messi included.

But the thing is that Suarez and Neymar are not really the ones helping Messi but the other way around. Messi makes them look good, and this is the main thing. Most of their goals have come from Messi's assists.

Ronaldos team mates (James, Kroos, etc) have been performing well (personally think that James has been showing really good progression and soon he will be the main star at Real) even Chicharito, the only exception is your man Bale who hasn't really done anything and people are finding it hard to justify his high cost but that is another matter.

Ronaldo tried yesterday, but he wasnt having his day, and he knew it, but instead of letting someone else throw the penalty he decided to throw it himself, same with a few free kicks etc. This clearly didnt help. It looks like he is just to worry of not scoring (hence why he got angry when Arbeola scored last weekend). His ego is just to great, he also loves to feel the winner, like he is the man (which in many cases he is) and this sometimes doesnt work well in his favor, a clear example would be the eurocup semifinal against Spain, when he decided to throw the last penalty (or so it was claimed) instead of, for instance, the first one (which is normally the most difficult as it takes the pressure away from players), just because he wanted his goal to be the decisive one...

Like someone already said, he is a competitive player, but sometimes this loses him. Last weekend Messi let Neymar throw a penalty just because Neymar wasnt having his day, even though the "Pichichi" was a stake... Ronaldo needs to realize that there is a team behind him and that he is part of it... Once he does that the team will do much better, he might not score as many goals but in the end, this is not all about goals.

Eh Messi has been afforded a huge amount extra space based on the fact that it's now Suarez and Neymar either side of him, rather than Pedro and Villa. I mean every team would want to treble mark a player of Messi's quality, but you can't really do it as effectively when those other 2 are almost as likely to punish you. Easily the best front 3 I think football is ever likely to see. That isn't a slight on Messi. He has been a phenomenal player longer than Suarez and Neymar have been there. But it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Madrid's penalty taker for 6 years shouldn't have taken a penalty cause he didn't play well for 45 minutes? What?

Unearthly wrote: »
    Madrid's penalty taker for 6 years shouldn't have taken a penalty cause he didn't play well for 45 minutes? What?

Yes thats exactly my point, there is no need for him tto throw all penalties, and even free kicks, I believe he hasnt score a single free kick in the last 50 something attempts?

Have you seen James doing free kicks? He is pretty impressive... or even Bale (he certainly cannot do any worse)

Actually I read somewhere that Ronaldos last goal from a free kick was against Bayern in april 2014?

His problem is his obsession with being the best is clouding his judgement and neg affect his team and makes him lose his temper (I still remember when he told Real Madrid fans F... you when they were shouting against him). There are times you will think he is more worried about scoring a goal than winning the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Jesus, are we back to the "Ronaldo doesnt do it in big games" argument again.

He's scored in the finals of the fa cup, spanish cup, league cup, uefa super cup and the champions league (with two different teams).

Add to that the number of goals he's scored against barca (always a huge game).

Regardless of who people prefer between him and messi, to argue that either player is not exceptional is idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Yes thats exactly my point, there is no need for him tto throw all penalties, and even free kicks, I believe he hasnt score a single free kick in the last 50 something attempts?

Have you seen James doing free kicks? He is pretty impressive... or even Bale (he certainly cannot do any worse)

Actually I read somewhere that Ronaldos last goal from a free kick was against Bayern in april 2014?

His problem is his obsession with being the best is clouding his judgement and neg affect his team and makes him lose his temper (I still remember when he told Real Madrid fans F... you when they were shouting against him). There are times you will think he is more worried about scoring a goal than winning the game

To be fair no player should be throwing penalties. If he's not going to use his foot, let someone else do it.

Also, you do realise that Messi missing 4 penalties already may have influenced who the coach designated to take them?

My god now Suarez and Neymar look good because they are playing with Messi what a load of tripe.

I suppose Suarez did struggle to score goals with Liverpool and Neymar struggles when on duty with Brazil.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Is there anyone who isn't a man-u fan, real Madrid fan or Portuguese think ronaldo is better than messi?

I have seen several people who are neither on this thread yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Corholio wrote: »
    Ehh.... that's what the award is for.

Exactly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement