Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Its good to see Messi, thus far, has gotten 83% of the vote.

I was watching ESPN Press Pass the other night and they were right in saying that Ronaldo must be sick to be around the same time as Messi. As lets face it, Ronaldo's stats are amazing but Messi will always be the better player.

I believe the Bosnian fans were chanting "Messi, Messi, Messi" at the Portugal team before their play-off match tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Ronaldo is a superb player. Just that Messi is a tiny bit more superb. That both are up there rubbing shoulders with the likes of Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Puskas etc and still both are young players says something about them. Personally I just love watching both play and believe we're witnessing two stunning footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

bcizy.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

bcizy.jpg

Why is it a picture of the Brazilian Ronaldo? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ok I was sent here from another forum, Ok Messi is not better than Ronaldo end off, Ok Xavi is a better player than Messi making him not even the best player on his team, Ronaldiho if he wanted to is better than Messi, The best 3 players in the world are Cristiano, Zlatan and Xavi. The reason the sheep dont like Ronaldo is because of his arrogance, It makes me laugh when they call him a diver but Messi isnt come on your taking the piss, These are the same fools who say Zlatan flopped at Barca even though the stats say otherwise and its obvious the reason he left was because Pep, Im going to sit back this year as Ronaldo wins top scorer, Madrid win league and Bayern or Milan win champions league, Then wait till december comes around and Messi wins world player of the year again when he doesnt deserve it ala Sneijder year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok I was sent here from another forum, Ok Messi is not better than Ronaldo end off, Ok Xavi is a better player than Messi making him not even the best player on his team, Ronaldiho if he wanted to is better than Messi, The best 3 players in the world are Cristiano, Zlatan and Xavi. The reason the sheep dont like Ronaldo is because of his arrogance, It makes me laugh when they call him a diver but Messi isnt come on your taking the piss, These are the same fools who say Zlatan flopped at Barca even though the stats say otherwise and its obvious the reason he left was because Pep, Im going to sit back this year as Ronaldo wins top scorer, Madrid win league and Bayern or Milan win champions league, Then wait till december comes around and Messi wins world player of the year again when he doesnt deserve it ala Sneijder year!!

qbFqd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I think in defence of Ronaldo you can put him into any team with no tweaking of their system to suit him and he'll be supreme. Messi I think has to have a system put in place for him.

In the World Cup when Messi was played deeper he was good but did not have quite the profound impact you 'd expect of a world class player. Ronaldo rarely needs time to adjust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

astonaidan wrote: »

oh jesus christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think in defence of Ronaldo you can put him into any team with no tweaking of their system to suit him and he'll be supreme. Messi I think has to have a system put in place for him.

In the World Cup when Messi was played deeper he was good but did not have quite the profound impact you 'd expect of a world class player. Ronaldo rarely needs time to adjust

Neither have come close to replicating club form for their countries and even at that level, I wouldn't choose Ronaldo over Messi!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Two of the best in the game right now. Messi just pipping Ronaldo but both have the luxury of playing in one of the weakest leagues (outside of the top two teams) at the moment. People see the Real and Barca squad lists and rightly think two of the best teams assembled in europe right now but wrongly assume therefore its the best league in europe. The rest of the La Liga has some shockingly poor teams.

Each season its a two horse race. The other teams don't close you down or show half the work rate as PL teams and they way Barca play this equals a goalfest. Ronaldo scored over forty goals in the league alone last season for christ's sake. For players of this quality its a dream. I also think Messi is complimented by the team around him where as Ronaldo has a lot more work to do. I don't think Messi could match Ronaldos PL from.

The greatest ever? Neither. You have to do it at the major international tournaments. Most of the greats (Pele, Mara D) are remembered because of this. Messi will not be remebered alongside those two imo.

Both are exposed when on international duty as very good players that are strenghtened by playing in exceptionally good teams but taken out of said teams can't reproduce the form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Messi is at present the greatest player I have ever seen. The man is bloody magician.

That does not mean to say Ronaldo is poor, I think Ronaldo is World Class, but Messi is better.

I remember having non-United supporters saying how overrated Ronaldo was, but the moment he left everyone was saying how Fecked United were going to be.

I would have Ronaldo in my team in heartbeat, but I just would have Messi in before him.

Love watching both players.

L'prof wrote: »
    Neither have come close to replicating club form for their countries and even at that level, I wouldn't choose Ronaldo over Messi!

I knew I was opening a can of worms but Messi have only ever played for Barca (and more than likely only ever will as a footballing force) the system is built to suit him to a large degree. I think Ronaldo is a far more versatile player.

Having said all that it is one of those debates that is for the most part comparing chalk and cheese as they are very different types of players.

Two of the best in the game right now. Messi just pipping Ronaldo but both have the luxury of playing in one of the weakest leagues (outside of the top two teams) at the moment. People see the Real and Barca squad lists and rightly think two of the best teams assembled in europe right now but wrongly assume therefore its the best league in europe. The rest of the La Liga has some shockingly poor teams.

Each season its a two horse race. The other teams don't close you down or show half the work rate as PL teams and they way Barca play this equals a goalfest. Ronaldo scored over forty goals in the league alone last season for christ's sake. For players of this quality its a dream. I also think Messi is complimented by the team around him where as Ronaldo has a lot more work to do. I don't think Messi could match Ronaldos PL from.

The greatest ever? Neither. You have to do it at the major international tournaments. Most of the greats (Pele, Mara D) are remembered because of this. Messi will not be remebered alongside those two imo.

Both are exposed when on international duty as very good players that are strenghtened by playing in exceptionally good teams but taken out of said teams can't reproduce the form.

I think the international dimension creates a bit of a false result. Pele played in unreal teams for Brazil, with perhaps ten or more of the best 100 players ever in their ranks. He had help too! Pele's club record is also bull****. THe Brazilian league at the time was geographic.

It's equivilent would be as follows: To win the league Manchester United would play 30/40 games against teams in Manchester, from City to some no marks in the Ryman League. Then they would go on to contest the championship.

Pele scored 1000 goals in his career but lots were against village sides who just happened to be in goegraphic proximity to Santos.

I think the greatest was Maradona but Messi is unreal. International football is a distant second cousin to club football now. The wages have seen to that. Second point about Messi is that he is seen as being a Spaniard by Argentinians. He left his country as a boy and the disconnect is there on both sides. In hindsight he should have become a naturalised Spaniard and played for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I always think that for Messi or Ronaldo to equal Maradona, they have to drag either of their nations to international success. Argentina have a much better team than Portugal, but nonetheless, they need to be the players that win the world cup on their own.

They both have spent their lives playing at the best clubs, and unless they feel like going to Napoli and dragging them to the CL victory, they'll need to do it internationally.

In my books, neither of them have surpassed Zidane yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Quicker burst of pace? I don't think so.

I much prefer Ronaldo. He gets more annoyed and frustrated and it seems he gets more involved emotionally. Probably not a great way of saying it but I hope you get my idea!

This is the "goal" that he scored against Spain where Nani was said to be offside, instead of leaving it.

Or this, that he tried against Real Sociedad.

I don't think Messi would even try something like that ^. Would he?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Id take either of them for Leeds really.

Would prefer Messi though.

PHB wrote: »
    I always think that for Messi or Ronaldo to equal Maradona, they have to drag either of their nations to international success. Argentina have a much better team than Portugal, but nonetheless, they need to be the players that win the world cup on their own. They both have spent their lives playing at the best clubs, and unless they feel like going to Napoli and dragging them to the CL victory, they'll need to do it internationally.

In my books, neither of them have surpassed Zidane yet.

This is absolute crap imo. Messi or Ronaldo do not need to win the WC on their own, as you put it. The CL is a much better quality competition and Messi has carried Barcelona to 3 CL titles. He has been the top scorer the past 3 seasons in it and was second before that. He is also joint top-scorer this season in what is a higher level than the WC.

And why in God's name would they move to a lesser club? To satisfy braindead arguments that they can do it. They are professional players who command the highest salary looking to play with the best players in the World. That is why they are playing for the 2 biggest teams in the World.

Messi has already eclipsed Zidane whereas Ronaldo never will. Zidane was a genius but not a consistent one. Messi is brilliant every week. Tell me one player that is more brilliantly consistent than Messi in the history of the game. No one.

Warper wrote: »
    Messi is brilliant every week. Tell me one player that is more brilliantly consistent than Messi in the history of the game. No one.

Denis Irwin (well he was):)

TBF Messi is nearest thing to perfection as a footballer you can get.

I swear I would give up sex for 5 years just to see him at United.

Denis Irwin (well he was):)

TBF Messi is nearest thing to perfection as a footballer you can get.

I swear I would give up sex for 5 years just to see him at United.

Irwin was Mr Reliable alright, i'll give you that.

Tbh i cant see him ever leaving Barcelona bar maybe a return to Argentina or a massive falling-out with some new manager. It would break my heart to see him at Utd. :D

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Irwin was Mr Reliable alright, i'll give you that.

Tbh i cant see him ever leaving Barcelona bar maybe a return to Argentina or a massive falling-out with some new manager. It would break my heart to see him at Utd. :D

Agree, no chance he ever come to OT, but can always dream;).

The way he is going he will be considered better then Pele or Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Messi.

And it's not even close.

I much prefer Ronaldo. He gets more annoyed and frustrated and it seems he gets more involved emotionally. Probably not a great way of saying it but I hope you get my idea!

This is the "goal" that he scored against Spain where Nani was said to be offside, instead of leaving it.

Or this, that he tried against Real Sociedad.

I don't think Messi would even try something like that ^. Would he?

Here is Kaka burning Messi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL6g_BRM7wg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Messi v Ronaldo. Well its Messi for me for various reasons which I won't go into here. One thing I will say however is anytime I've seen them head to head Ronaldo has constantly been crap and Messi has danced on him.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    There's a reason you never hear Ronaldo's name mentioned alongside greats like Maradona and Pele. He's unfortunate that Messi came along around the same time as him and i think it causes some to gloss over just how good a player Ronaldo is, he's phenomenal. On the other hand, it's quite amusing.

This is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

zxqq9k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Dont you dare question Messi's pace, Hes the fastest man alive, He could easily play CB if he wanted and anyone that says any different is a hater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Hi guys, just bringing up this thread.

There has been 2 threads created on the players recently, and one has turned into a VS thread, keep that stuff here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But you weren't around 4 months ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There has been 2 threads created on the players recently, and one has turned into a VS thread, keep that stuff here.

Hi Mr. Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

CorkMan wrote: »

Subtlety is key CorkMan, can't be getting caught out that easily ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

SantryRed wrote: »
    But you weren't around 4 months ago :p

Just because I wasn't registered 4 months ago doesn't mean I haven't been a long time lurker.

BTW if anyone accuses me of being someone else I will report it to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Just because I wasn't registered 4 months ago doesn't mean I haven't been a long time lurker.

BTW if anyone accuses me of being someone else I will report it to the mods.

Lol, classic Corkman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Last night against Zaragoza Messi chased all the way to the backline on at least two occasions when a dangerous counter was on even though his teammate was clearly fouled. Normally CR7 would just stop and shrug his hands in the air in dismay. That's the significant difference between the two players in my opinion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Bump.

*runs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

At the moment Ronaldo...But if you are to compare them on the entirety of their careers thus far, then Messi

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm going to vote on this pole when they've both retired.

For now:
    CorkMan > Any other poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Messi.

And it's not even close.

In the spirit of this forum...

LoL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Over two years later and it's gotten closer but still not a damn thing has changed, Messi still the greatest player in the world. One Ballon D'Or from Ronny isn't going to change that. The guy is insane, it's just Messi is a better player and always will be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another peach of a goal from Ronnie least night, an unreal player, but messi would have to retire now for Ronnie to finish a better player than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Insane consistency from both men, and perhaps over the course of their career thus far Ronaldo has proven the more consistent of the two. However, Messi's highs have been much higher. Simply a better player peak for peak imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Messi been injured or carrying injuries a lot lately. When both are fully fit and on form Messi is on a different level to everyone including Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lennonist wrote: »
    Messi been injured or carrying injuries a lot lately. When both are fully fit and on form Messi is on a different level to everyone including Ronaldo.

Fitness is a skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I hope Messi is at his best in the World Cup. It'd be a shame for football if he was to go to Brazil out of form/not fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    In the spirit of this forum...

LoL

At the time, it wasn't even close. LoL at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fitness is a skill.

Messi has often been played when he's not fully fit because he's so important to Barcelona, that doesn't help him to get fully fit.

Do you disagree that Messi is better than Ronaldo when both a fully fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

At the time, it wasn't even close. LoL at you.

It definitely was. Just because Messi was playing on the best team of all time doesn't change that. Now Real are probably marginally better and suddenly Ronaldo is better to a lot more people. Coincidence? I don't think so. I've always maintained it's splitting hairs trying to say who is better but a lot of people just go by who's in form at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is amazing how things have changed over 2 years. Now Messi is the egotistical brat and Ronaldo is a leader of men.

I also think Ronaldo will retire at a similar or later date than Messi. He is the greatest athlete the game has ever seen. He'll play until he is 40 if he'd wish be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It is amazing how things have changed over 2 years. Now Messi is the egotistical brat and Ronaldo is a leader of men.

I also think Ronaldo will retire at a similar or later date than Messi. He is the greatest athlete the game has ever seen. He'll play until he is 40 if he'd wish be.

I don't think so, he relies on his pace and power and those two things don't age too well.

Advertisement