Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

eternal wrote: »
    Well you're talking tits anyway.

I was being sarcastic. Messi is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It only happened because suarez and Neymar were on the pitch. He couldn't do that without xavi and iniesta. It's not that good because he has played for Barca all his career. The drugs scored that goal. He needs to do it in the world cup final.

7/10.
    You forgot cold rainy night at stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Turtwig wrote: »
    7/10.
    You forgot cold rainy night at stoke.

And let's not forget the charity donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Well you're talking tits anyway.

Please tell me you didn't think he was being serious? Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

And let's not forget the charity donations.
    And his tax history and his father's an asshole :D

What an amazing goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Why did I even look in this thread? So much ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yep, Messi is back to his best and has taken back his position as the best player in the world. People are falling over themselves to tell others they were wrong for suggesting Ronaldo was the best player in the world when he actually was at the time they were saying it.

Yep, Messi is back to his best and has taken back his position as the best player in the world. People are falling over themselves to tell others they were wrong for suggesting Ronaldo was the best player in the world when he actually was at the time they were saying it.

Is this ye right now?

tbss.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Please tell me you didn't think he was being serious? Haha!

Well it wasn't intelligent enough to be fully sarcastic so I presumed it was ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Not that I want to necessarily get involved in this debate but, in my own humble opinion, Messi was always a better player than Ronaldo. Sure, there were periods (however long) where Ronaldo was the player in form, but just because one player is in form and another isn't, it doesn't automatically make the former a better player than the latter.

Just my two cents anyway! :):)

Personally I think Neymar is better than the lot of them, or maybe that's just because I want to have his babies!! :P :pac: :pac:

Is this ye right now?

No, why would it be?

Wilberto wrote: »
    Not that I want to necessarily get involved in this debate but, in my own humble opinion, Messi was always a better player than Ronaldo. Sure, there were periods (however long) where Ronaldo was the player in form, but just because one player is in form and another isn't, it doesn't automatically make the former a better player than the latter.

Just my two cents anyway! :):)

Personally I think Neymar is better than the lot of them, or maybe that's just because I want to have his babies!! :P :pac: :pac:

Messi is the best player there has ever been IMO. Ronaldo was the best player for the duration of last season.

Messi is the best player there has ever been IMO. Ronaldo was the best player for the duration of last season.

Ronaldo wouldn't have won the Baloon d'Or if he hadn't deserved it yet he would be inferior long term to Messi.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

But surely that just makes him the most in form player out of the two last season. It still doesn't make him the best player as that title has to be decided over their respective careers so far.

Anyway, I realise I'm probably being extraordinarily pedantic so I'll just bow out now! :):D

Ronaldo wouldn't have won the Baloon d'Or if he hadn't deserved it yet he would be inferior long term to Messi.

That's pretty much it.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    But surely that just makes him the most in form player out of the two last season. It still doesn't make him the best player as that title has to be decided over their respective careers so far.

Anyway, I realise I'm probably being extraordinarily pedantic so I'll just bow out now! :):D

Well that's just the way things go in sport. They can't just keep giving the Ballon d'Or to Messi regardless of his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

To be fair, it's the player of the year award. Not the best at football in the world award.

To be fair, it's the player of the year award. Not the best at football in the world award.

Yes, they weigh up stats and they award the most convincing player. It's unfortunate for Ronaldo that he happens to be playing Spanish football with Messi whom nobody can argue is unstoppable. It's unfair to compare anyone to him realistically. Ronaldo, on his own terms is very talented and successful regardless.

Messi is still only 27!

Mad if he keeps going like this for another few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ronnie with his third hat-trick in three games

just sayin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Trilla wrote: »

Messi with 3 trophies in his last 3 games for Barcelona...

Just sayin' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Messi with 3 trophies in his last 3 games for Barcelona...

Just sayin' ;)

Just like Gary Neville in 1999 :)

x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Trilla wrote: »

That's a fantastic return...even from a player of Ronaldo's quality. Didnt he get 3 hat-tricks in 4 games last season? Maybe this time he can get 4 from 4! Might be worth putting a cheeky bet on him getting anther hat-trick in his next game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Interesting stat. Ronaldo scored 61 goals for Real in all competitions last season. 13 of these were penalties. That's 21% of his goals coming from the penalty spot.

Penaldo they said? Well said. :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Interesting stat. Ronaldo scored 61 goals for Real in all competitions last season. 13 of these were penalties. That's 21% of his goals coming from the penalty spot.

48 non-penalty goals is a shocking stat. Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Jesus that's an awful lot. Would love to see Suarez' stats if he had have took Penos for Liverpool that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Reckon Ronaldo will score his highest tally next season, might be played up front in Benitez team

Hard to see them toppling Barca though, Messi to reclaim the Balon D'Or and probably keep it for a few years

Who takes it on when Messi and Ronaldo finish up? Whoever it is will surely be underwhelming after the past 9 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Reckon Ronaldo will score his highest tally next season, might be played up front in Benitez team

Hard to see them toppling Barca though, Messi to reclaim the Balon D'Or and probably keep it for a few years

Who takes it on when Messi and Ronaldo finish up? Whoever it is will surely be underwhelming after the past 9 years

He was played up front a few times before no? I'd say Hazard/Neymar/Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He was played up front a few times before no? I'd say Hazard/Neymar/Suarez

Messi is younger than Suarez.

Aguero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neymar is probably next up for a Balon dor surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Neymar should be coming into his prime when Messi starts to simmer

A good bet but you'll get an unexpected player in the running too I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Neymar/Hazard for me. Think it'll be Neymar, his improvement this season was immense! Can't rule out what Rayne said either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neymar is probably next up for a Balon dor surely?

Neymars play acting is a serious black mark against him for an award like that. Messi and Ronaldo both dive, but neither are anywhere near Neymar's level of embarassement. He really is a chronic diver, one of the worst offenders out there.

He's an exceptional player, but he is such a cheat that I cant see them giving him the Balon dor. Too many people wont vote for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Kirby wrote: »
    Neymars play acting is a serious black mark against him for an award like that. Messi and Ronaldo both dive, but neither are anywhere near Neymar's level of embarassement. He really is a chronic diver, one of the worst offenders out there.

He's an exceptional player, but he is such a cheat that I cant see them giving him the Balon dor. Too many people wont vote for him.

Still only 23, Ronaldo was even more dislikeable when he was younger too and he has 3 of them.

Also the Messi diving thing is incredible. No where near the level of Ronaldo or the majority of footballers for that matter. Probably takes more punishment than any other player and most of the time he takes it and carries on. Instances of him diving are few and far between.

Think when Messi tails off James and Neymar will be fighting it out on a regular basis, but it's hard to see any player or pair of players dominating the award in the way it has been since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

THFC wrote: »
    Still only 23, Ronaldo was even more dislikeable when he was younger too and he has 3 of them.

Also the Messi diving thing is incredible. No where near the level of Ronaldo or the majority of footballers for that matter. Probably takes more punishment than any other player and most of the time he takes it and carries on. Instances of him diving are few and far between.

Think when Messi tails off James and Neymar will be fighting it out on a regular basis, but it's hard to see any player or pair of players dominating the award in the way it has been since 2008.

When Messi and Ronaldo go I could see it going back to the way it used to be a lot i.e. the best player in the team that wins the champions league/Euros/World cup wins the Ballon D'or

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Aguero

If he played for Real or Barca (and sorted the injuries out) he'd be near contention already i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

An absolutely rubbish theory and i apologise before making it, but with the alledged claims today about the irish players being paid off not to tackle messi, do you think that maybe this has happened in other occasions.

It does put a bit of a dampener on his talents, true or not.

An absolutely rubbish theory and i apologise before making it, but with the alledged claims today about the irish players being paid off not to tackle messi, do you think that maybe this has happened in other occasions.

It does put a bit of a dampener on his talents, true or not.

No it bloody doesn't...a ridiculous claim it's even more ridiculous to believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That major tournament win is so big for Ronaldo's career and legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Oh here we go......

:pac:

Delighted for Portugal

Paully D wrote: »
    That major tournament win is so big for Ronaldo's career and legacy.

Portugal won 1 game in 90 mins. He didn't play in the final bar 10 mins. For his career, even still, it's obviously huge, but with regards to the thread title, still no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lightyears behind Messi and always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That final just goes to show how stupid the 'needs to win a major international tournament' is when it comes to comparing two players.

Ronaldo didn't do anything in the final, went off injured, they won, and all of a sudden it's something to use as a barometer? It's a weird stat one I'd use to give Ronaldo/Messi one over each other. I'm delighted for Ronaldo though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Nah, they're pretty close. Messi shades it though.

Nah, they're pretty close. Messi shades it though.

He does a lot more than shade it.. And he's 2 years younger..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

And yet without a major international trophy there is an incompleteness don't you think?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

THFC wrote: »
    Portugal won 1 game in 90 mins. He didn't play in the final bar 10 mins.

Cristiano Ronaldo also 2nd highest scorer and 2nd highest assister in these Championships. Not to mention the goals against Hungary which got them out of the group and then the goal against Wales which helped them to the final.

The man can do no right with some people. He's made out to be the devil no matter what he achieves.

He bows out of international football a winner, Messi bows out a whinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Faugheen wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo also 2nd highest scorer and 2nd highest assister in these Championships. Not to mention the goals against Hungary which got them out of the group and then the goal against Wales which helped them to the final.

The man can do no right with some people. He's made out to be the devil no matter what he achieves.

He bows out of international football a winner, Messi bows out a whinger.

He'll almost certainly return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement