Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fryup wrote: »
    thats totally different its usually the whole team at the end of winning the super bowl like giving someone the bumps
    No.

article-2550671-1B29F14A00000578-436_634x422.jpg
    - That's Russell Wilson, the Seattle Seahawks quarterback (and team leader) right as they won the Superbowl. Disgraceful, and right in front of the cameras too! Look at that disrespect, I hope Pete Carroll fired him immed--- oh no wait, he got a big fat raise not too long after. Because he is a great player, and was pumped full of adrenaline and endorphins while celebrating probably the highlight of professional career and lifelong ambition.

linebacker-tedy-bruschi-of-the-new-england-patriots-pours-the-tub-picture-id52147744
    - And here's linebacker Teddy Bruschi when the Patriots won the Superbowl. So disgusting, so so disgusting. Oh no wait, he was one of the head coaches (Bill Belichick, good few similarities to Fergie) most trusted players and stayed with them for years after his physical prime in a sport where physique is of massive importance, in no small part because of how good an influence he was both on and off the field.
    this was personal..look at the way Ronaldo looks at him before he nudges him in the back as if he trying to goad him...and anyway he's not suppose to be in technical area thats just for the manager
    He probably wanted to murder the coaches family too, the b*stard!

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

fryup wrote: »
    i was kinda happy for Ronaldo last night....but that evaporated after seeing this...

i mean whats that about??? taking the mickey out of your manager in public like that, thats not on, its @sshole behaviour....if i was Santos i would have kicked him in the balls

You have no idea what type of relationship he has with his manager, I would guess it's a very good one judging by that. Accusing Ronaldo of 'asshole behaviour' is ridiculous and then people wonder why some defend Ronaldo for some of the other things he does when he gets accused of stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Just seen that Suarez was mentioned. Suarez's contribution to helping Uruguay a country of 3 million to win Copa America is very underrated. He nearly won it by himself for Uruguay with all his goals being decisive (scored the opener in the final & 2 in the semi final).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Corholio wrote: »
    You have no idea what type of relationship he has with his manager, I would guess it's a very good one judging by that. Accusing Ronaldo of 'asshole behaviour' is ridiculous and then people wonder why some defend Ronaldo for some of the other things he does when he gets accused of stuff like this.

I agree I don't think he meant any disrespect and was just pumped up but you have to admit the manager looked very uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Ronaldo scores a lot of goals. Messi is the best player of all time.

You can't really compare one of Ronaldo's penalties or headers with Messi beating three, four, five players or whatever, and then the brilliant finish. It's so much more difficult than a single strike. It's on a different level.

Rezident wrote: »
    Ronaldo scores a lot of goals. Messi is the best player of all time.

You can't really compare one of Ronaldo's penalties or headers with Messi beating three, four, five players or whatever, and then the brilliant finish. It's so much more difficult than a single strike. It's on a different level.

New to the sport in the last 2-3 years?

Both incredible players.
    But I don't think Ronaldo has had as good individual moments as Messi scoring 3 against Real at 19,Getafe goal Maradona style, 4 vs Arsenal, 5 against Leverkuson, As good CL final performances either as Messi had vs Man Utd twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Uruguay have won it 14 times

Most were back 40 years ago though. With the squad they have had it was an amazing achievement as well as reaching World Cup Semi's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What has that even got to do with anything?

Completely different Eras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the last 6-7 weeks has been both the cementing and turnaround for Ronaldos legacy.

I have said for a while that Ronaldo will have a strong and passionate legacy of support because of how much he was demonized. There was a massive backlash to people that were opening hoping he would lose yesterday and enjoyed him going off injured.

There was an outpouring of sadness when he went off. Even the ladies in work today were saying they were delighted Portugal won because of Ronaldo. Last night really brought out the human side of him.

I think people will love Ronaldo more in 10-15 times because he was fallible, he had flaws and he was emotional.

The other guy is more of Steve Davis with the added flaws of tax evasion and other suspicions about his off-field methods. Barcelona plunged the knife into his goodwill after the #WeAreAllLeoMessi stuff.

The human spirit will always show more affection to the redemption story of the bad-guy come good, as opposed to the good-guy gone bad.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I agree I don't think he meant any disrespect and was just pumped up but you have to admit the manager looked very uncomfortable

Santos is just like that anyway really, stoney faced in good and bad times. He's a pretty emotional guy anyway (mostly the complaining side) so I'm sure he realises the emotions of the event.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Most were back 40 years ago though. With the squad they have had it was an amazing achievement as well as reaching World Cup Semi's

They had a decent enough squad to be fair, Diego Forlan was voted best player at one of the world cups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think the last 6-7 weeks has been both the cementing and turnaround for Ronaldos legacy.

I have said for a while that Ronaldo will have a strong and passionate legacy of support because of how much he was demonized. There was a massive backlash to people that were opening hoping he would lose yesterday and enjoyed him going off injured.

There was an outpouring of sadness when he went off. Even the ladies in work today were saying they were delighted Portugal won because of Ronaldo. Last night really brought out the human side of him.

I think people will love Ronaldo more in 10-15 times because he was fallible, he had flaws and he was emotional.

The other guy is more of Steve Davis with the added flaws of tax evasion and other suspicions about his off-field methods. Barcelona plunged the knife into his goodwill after the #WeAreAllLeoMessi stuff.

The human spirit will always show more affection to the redemption story of the bad-guy come good, as opposed to the good-guy gone bad.

Don't think so.

Ronaldo is a physical beast and that helps make him such a great player Messi relies 100% on his skill and thus he can make you believe that even if you aren't a good athlete you an still make it at the top level. Messi is like seeing yourself at your very best making the grade at the top level.

To use a film analogy Messi is like Tom Hanks, Ronaldo is like Brad Pitt.

Nobody will really care about Messi's tax dodging cause even though it is wrong let's be honest we'd all do it if we thought we could get away with it.

Don't think so.

Ronaldo is a physical beast and that helps make him such a great player Messi relies 100% on his skill and thus he can make you believe that even if you aren't a good athlete you an still make it at the top level. Messi is like seeing yourself at your very best making the grade at the top level.

You can spin it either way though, Ronaldo wasn't always a physical beast, it took an incredible amount of dedication and hard work to get where he is and is surely a story of how hard work can prosper, whereas Messi was born with it so not achievable to the average person.

You can spin it either way though, Ronaldo wasn't always a physical beast, it took an incredible amount of dedication and hard work to get where he is and is surely a story of how hard work can prosper, whereas Messi was born with it so not achievable to the average person.

Messi was obviously born with a lot of natural talent but so was Ronaldo (as are most top class sportsmen).They both obviously worked very hard to get where they are.

Messi is pound for pound the much better player.If Ronaldo was Messi's size there is no chance he would be anywhere near as good as he is (and I think even the most ardent of Ronaldo fans would admit that).

Messi was obviously born with a lot of natural talent but so was Ronaldo (as are most top class sportsmen).They both obviously worked very hard to get where they are.

Messi is pound for pound the much better player.If Ronaldo was Messi's size there is no chance he would be anywhere near as good as he is (and I think even the most ardent of Ronaldo fans would admit that).

If Messi was Ronaldo's size there is a good chance his dribbling would have been massively hampered

If my auntie had balls...

You get the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

This thread is an embarrassment to boards.ie soccer forum.

And thats all I have to say about that.

If Messi was Ronaldo's size there is a good chance his dribbling would have been massively hampered

If my auntie had balls...

You get the idea

Perhaps.

But then he'd have the strength and raw speed to overpower players like Ronaldo does.

Messi is unquestionably the more skilful player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Nobody will really care about Messi's tax dodging cause even though it is wrong let's be honest we'd all do it if we thought we could get away with it.

But Brad Pitt has a far greater range than Tom Hanks... and lots of us actually don't try to dodge taxes even if we thought we could get away with it.

ectoraige wrote: »
    But Brad Pitt has a far greater range than Tom Hanks... and lots of us actually don't try to dodge taxes even if we thought we could get away with it.

But Tom Hanks plays every man characters that you can relate to.He has the common touch.

A lot of if they thought there was a good chance they wouldn't be caught would try and dodge taxes.People don't pay their taxes due to a moral obligation they pay them because they have to.Sure didn't half the country refuse to pay water charges when they were asked.

But Tom Hanks plays every man characters that you can relate to.He has the common touch.

A lot of if they thought there was a good chance they wouldn't be caught would try and dodge taxes.People don't pay their taxes due to a moral obligation they pay them because they have to.Sure didn't half the country refuse to pay water charges when they were asked.

Whatever about the whole Messi tax situation in it's own right, he can well afford to pay his taxes without barely affecting his lifestyle, so using the 'we'd all do it if we could get away with it' doesn't really relate to be honest because Messi isn't relatable to most of us 'all'.

Not really, no. This is the kind of excuse making for Messi that amazes me, while we've got people giving out about Ronaldo celebrating... yet again!!

Not necessarily pointed at you as I don't believe you were backing up that nonsense a few pages back, but had Ronaldo been caught dodging taxes there would be an uproar that would not die down for the rest of his career. That's not hyperbole either, some people are still trying to judge him for celebrating scoring a goal in a CL Final in the town he grew up in from 11-17...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I'm not sure if I relate to Forest Gump myself, but I haven't seen the movie. Oh, and - pssst - the others paid their charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ronaldo smiles to the camera- vein man!!!!
    Messi cheats his taxes - sure we'd all do it...

Some fcuked up values on boards!

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    Ronaldo smiles to the camera- vein man!!!!
    Messi cheats his taxes - sure we'd all do it...

Some fcuked up values on boards!

Ronaldo has a child outside wedlock. Call the parish priest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Ronaldo is the world's greatest goal scorer. Messi is the worlds best player.

Don't give a damn about theatrics, smiling at camera, tax evasion etc...

Without his goals (of which there are a copius amount) he contributes very little.

Messi can drop deep and make his team tick in a way ronaldo can't.

enzo roco wrote: »

It is not.

It is a mirror to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't see how Portugal winning the euros makes any difference in the Messi Ronaldo debate. Maradona back in the day did almost singlehandedly guide his country to win an international tournament. Ronaldo had a decent tournament that was all this time around. Messi had a better world cup in 2014 than Ronaldo had in the euros this time around. You could argue nani was more influential than Ronaldo in the tournament.
    I'm delighted Ronaldo got to win the euros as he has had a great career and you could see how much it meant to him but for me the past month has changed nothing in my assessment of the two players.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not really, no. This is the kind of excuse making for Messi that amazes me, while we've got people giving out about Ronaldo celebrating... yet again!!

Not necessarily pointed at you as I don't believe you were backing up that nonsense a few pages back, but had Ronaldo been caught dodging taxes there would be an uproar that would not die down for the rest of his career. That's not hyperbole either, some people are still trying to judge him for celebrating scoring a goal in a CL Final in the town he grew up in from 11-17...

I'm not making any excuses for Messi.

He's completely in the wrong and was very lucky to get away with the punishment he got (see my comments in the specific thread).

I'm just saying that a lot of people would try it if they thought they could get away with it so he's no worse than a lot of people in the world and it won't be held against him by too many people in the future as a poster suggested in a post I responded to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Don't understand all the nonsense on both sides about stuff that has nothing to do with how good a player they are. Things like dodging tax, taking jerseys off to celebrate goals, not looking that interested in a half time team talk, not celebrating goals with teammates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ronaldo has proven from Euro 16 he is very much a Team player.

He does more than score goals for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Don't understand all the nonsense on both sides about stuff that has nothing to do with how good a player they are. Things like dodging tax, taking jerseys off to celebrate goals, not looking that interested in a half time team talk, not celebrating goals with teammates.

Well if that's the case Messi is a better player and close the thread

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don't think there's many that would argue against Messi being the better player, but certainly my argument is the notion that he's leagues, head and shoulders and stratospheres ahead of Ronaldo, which is just simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don't think there's many that would argue against Messi being the better player, but certainly my argument is the notion that he's leagues, head and shoulders and stratospheres ahead of Ronaldo, which is just simply not true.

358 of 966 to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Well maybe just the one league so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cant we just agree they all have lovely bottoms and let that be that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cant we just agree they all have lovely bottoms and let that be that?

Do you not think Messi's arse is a bit big no?

:pac:

Wilberto wrote: »
    Do you not think Messi's arse is a bit big no?

Depends, are we comparing it to Ronaldos are just in general? :pac:

BTW, nobody has a bigger arse than Ivanovic. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I've tried and I've tried and I continue to try, but up to now I just cannot overlook Ronaldo's negative antics when I think of him as a player.

No disputing that he's an absolute behemoth as far as goalscoring goes, one of the best there has ever been, but sometimes his attitude is a real turn off.

Watching Real Madrid, it becomes tiring to see him constantly getting onto other players, and no, not because they aren't performing, but because they didn't pass to him, because they dared to take a shot instead of helping him add to his goal tally. Throwing his arms up in a strop, sometimes even becoming disinterested in games because he isn't the sole centre of attention. Whinging and moaning at officials. Some might refer to that as 'great leadership' or 'a passion to win', but to me it's just egocentric childishness.

And sure, he's not half wasteful either... sometimes taking any and every chance under the sun to shoot, no matter where his teammates might be positioned.

In no way are these failings something I'd gloat about, I honestly want to like the guy, damn I even felt pretty bummed out for him when he was taken off, and relatively happy to see him lift the cup... but to be honest it's probably one of the most frustrating things in football for me, being unable to simply appreciate this guy for the great player he can be.

What i prefer about Messi is that he has this tendency just get on with the game.

Therein lies the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

People seem to be forgetting that Ronaldo had a horrible start to the tournament. He was a big factor in causing Portugal to nearly miss the knockout stages. He missed a penalty and shot 22+ times in the opening two games, without scoring, when there were better options open to him for a lot of those.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People seem to be forgetting that Ronaldo had a horrible start to the tournament. He was a big factor in causing Portugal to nearly miss the knockout stages. He missed a penalty and shot 22+ times in the opening two games, without scoring, when there were better options open to him for a lot of those.

Yeah, but then rose to the occasion when they needed him in the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness Suarez could cure cancer and end world hunger and you would still put him down. It just comes across a bit bitter.

Until he does.... :pac:

Don't think so.

Messi isnt fast?

Edit: and not a notion would I tax dodge, it's being a petty criminal and stealing off everyone you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Messi isnt fast?

enzo roco wrote: »

I think your contribution is cack too :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

:confused: Is that sarcasm? By that rationale Eder should be player of the tournament. He scored the most important goal of all.

Ronaldo was decidedly average all tournament but such is his, and indeed Messi's reputation, its not surprising he was named in the TOTT. They've both taken on god like personas to modern football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I don't get this so being shocking for 2 games is fine as long as you guide your team to an era defining draw against Hungary

• Advertisement

Strangely enough, Portugal finishing 3rd after Icelands last second winner in the 33rd group game helped Portugal get the easier side of the draw and put Iceland on the much harder side.

I'd have fancied Portugal to beat England, like Iceland done but then they would have played France in the QF and Germany in the SF, instead of their path of beating Croatia, Poland and Wales, I dont think theyed have won it if Iceland didnt win that game and their roles reveresed but thats all ifs and buts so its kind of pointless.

So ya, Portugal owe Iceland a lot. :o

Advertisement