Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Bit harsh, considering he was an unused sub.

Well missing important games is a factor it too IMO. Its half the reason Messi didnt win the Ballon Dor in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well missing important games is a factor it too IMO. Its half the reason Messi didnt win the Ballon Dor in 2013.

Wasn't he just rested cos they were 3-0 up? Not really his fault if the manager decides not to play him.

Mushy wrote: »
    Wasn't he just rested cos they were 3-0 up? Not really his fault if the manager decides not to play him.

Fair enough im wrong if thats the case!

What do you think so far this year? Leo or Christy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fudge You wrote: »
    No. The trophy goes to the best player.
    Otherwise a Munich player deserved it for 2013 as they were miles ahead of ronaldo and messi.
    Actually what did Ronaldo win in 2013???

What trophy?

Is there an "inclusion in the La Liga team of the year" trophy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fair enough im wrong if thats the case!

What do you think so far this year? Leo or Christy?

Based on so far this year, I'd edge Ronaldo. Messi has looked disinterested for a long while now, and if he tried a bit harder in some games, Barca could well have landed the league. Much of a muchness between them though, so its great to see them both in their prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Suarez could score against the big teams, I'd rank him up there with Ronaldo and Messi.

If Suarez could score against the big teams and score a goal every game for the next three seasons, including Champions league games, then I'd rank him up there with Ronaldo and Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

No. The trophy goes to the best player.
    Otherwise a Munich player deserved it for 2013 as they were miles ahead of ronaldo and messi.
    Actually what did Ronaldo win in 2013???

What munich player? bit of an odd point to say give it to a munich player because they were great without naming a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I wonder will they rest him for the last Group game. He could win this tournament almost on his own like Maradona in '86.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Lennonist wrote: »
    I wonder will they rest him for the last Group game. He could win this tournament almost on his own like Maradona in '86.
    I think you meant this group cause once they get to last 16/8 they are gone, Argentina are doing nothing in this world cup

astonaidan wrote: »
    I think you meant this group cause once they get to last 16/8 they are gone, Argentina are doing nothing in this world cup

Yeah they are, semi's at least Id say, the draw favors them. Switzerland/Ecuador last 16 and then Belgium/Portugal quarter final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Who are doing something though? Nobody has looked very impressive apart from France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Imagine a team of Messis playing a team of Ronaldos.

Messis hammer Ronaldos 8 times out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Who are doing something though? Nobody has looked very impressive apart from France

What about Holland and Germany, they both look like serious teams this year. Granted Germany only drew tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Messi ofc

Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima (locally: [ʁoˈnawðu ˈlwiʒ nɐˈzaɾju dʒ ˈɫĩmɐ]; born 18 September 1976[2]) commonly known as Ronaldo, is a retired Brazilian footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yeah they are, semi's at least Id say, the draw favors them. Switzerland/Ecuador last 16 and then Belgium/Portugal quarter final
    Dont see it at all, Belgium will walk them. The big three is nothing cause they cant play with the midfield they have
    Holland and Germany have been impressive. Argentina have got a easy group which they will top and then go out in next few games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Karl Stein wrote: »

Which team would be better at general defending and at set pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

764dak wrote: »
    Which team would be better at general defending and at set pieces.

General defending, Messi. Set pieces, Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If Ronaldo was a defender he'd be one of the best in the world. Physically, he has it all. Messi would suffer from being too small.

As far as rating the two on what they actually are goes, Messi is better in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

argentina are the most likely winners with messi leading them to glory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not sure about that now 6f,1" Ronaldo in goal comapred to 5f,4" Messi might just edge it towards Ronaldo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

barone wrote: »
    messi = worlds greatest ever player,already.. marvel at him now,because you surley will when he retires.

child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dont see it at all, Belgium will walk them.

Yeah. cos Belgium have really lit up the tournament so far !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

This thread is painful.

Its like 10-12 year olds talking in the playground.

Not sure about that now 6f,1" Ronaldo in goal comapred to 5f,4" Messi might just edge it towards Ronaldo ;)

The Ronaldos would have trouble getting near the Messis goal.

The Messis would cut through the Ronaldos with ease and when they got a couple of goals up the Ronaldos would begin to sulk and then they'd be hammered.
    This thread is painful.

Its like 10-12 year olds talking in the playground.

Yet here you are commentating on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

The Ronaldos would have trouble getting near the Messis goal.

The Messis would cut through the Ronaldos with ease and when they got a couple of goals up the Ronaldos would begin to sulk and then they'd be hammered.

Yet here you are commentating on it.

Yes, commentating how childish the thread is.

And you proved my point by your first and second sentences.

• Advertisement

Yes, commentating how childish the thread is.

You know what normal people do when they think a thread is childish? They don't post in them.
    And you proved my point by your first and second sentences.

Sshhhh..

If Ronaldo and his Portugal team dont qualify for the last 16 of the World Cup id expect Ronaldo to almost certaintly lose his Ballon D'Or.. Especially since Messi already has 2 high profile moments of brilliance in the World Cup already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 john moloney

Purely because he is a more complete forward and could be successful in any league which i would be sceptical of messi I would have to go for Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Messi is the main if you are going into battle and want a player who plays with no fuss and is unselfish.
    Ronaldo is the main man if you have a marketing campaign to get going.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Purely because he is a more complete forward and could be successful in any league which i would be sceptical of messi I would have to go for Ronaldo
    More complete how? People throw this around without thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

More complete how? People throw this around without thinking about it.

I have dug deeper into this strange line of thinking before and it usually boils down to the fact Ronaldo is better in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

As if this is actually a debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Messi is the main if you are going into battle and want a player who plays with no fuss and is unselfish.

Send Messi to Iraq - he'll sort out the ISIS lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is that not the same guy that got Zlatan chucked out of the club how he could take the Centre Forward position for himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ronaldo more complete ? Don't think so. Messi wouldn't be successful in any other league - you're having a laugh.

trashcan wrote: »
    Ronaldo more complete ? Don't think so. Messi wouldn't be successful in any other league - you're having a laugh.

Ronaldo is more complete, He has a physical prescence which means he can impose himself on any opponent regardless of space and time which messi cannot also he is an aerial threat which messi is not either. Ronaldo can shoot with both feet while messi can only use his left. Messi would be successful no doubt but not as successful as Ronaldo would be if he moved leagues. For example would Messi be able to play in the premier league? I'm not sure he would be able to break 30 goals and i could imagine him picking up injuries regularly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Ronaldo is more complete, He has a physical prescence which means he can impose himself on any opponent regardless of space and time which messi cannot also he is an aerial threat which messi is not either. Ronaldo can shoot with both feet while messi can only use his left. Messi would be successful no doubt but not as successful as Ronaldo would be if he moved leagues. For example would Messi be able to play in the premier league? I'm not sure he would be able to break 30 goals and i could imagine him picking up injuries regularly too.

Seriously, are you trolling?

Seriously, are you trolling?

Nope just putting forward my arguement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ronaldo is more complete, He has a physical prescence which means he can impose himself on any opponent regardless of space and time which messi cannot
    Messi imposes himself with technique and trickery instead. Not like there's an anti-Messi out there.
    also he is an aerial threat which messi is not either.
    True. Not that that's enough to make him more complete, which I'll go into at the end of the post.
    Ronaldo can shoot with both feet while messi can only use his left.
    Patently untrue.
    Messi would be successful no doubt but not as successful as Ronaldo would be if he moved leagues. For example would Messi be able to play in the premier league? I'm not sure he would be able to break 30 goals and i could imagine him picking up injuries regularly too.
    Stoke, Tuesday night, blah blah blah. Plently of small tricky players have succeeded just fine in the Premier League.

Now. What about Messi's clearly superior passing ability? He's basically a creative number 10 dictating play while also being a superb goalscorer. So he's two world class players rolled into one. Not sure how you can be more complete than that.

Messi imposes himself with technique and trickery instead. Not like there's an anti-Messi out there.

True. Not that that's enough to make him more complete, which I'll go into at the end of the post.

Patently untrue.

Stoke, Tuesday night, blah blah blah. Plently of small tricky players have succeeded just fine in the Premier League.

Now. What about Messi's clearly superior passing ability? He's basically a creative number 10 dictating play while also being a superb goalscorer. So he's two world class players rolled into one. Not sure how you can be more complete than that.
    Yes but considering the amount of minority teams who would find it difficult in the championship let alone the premiership he has all the time and space he wants in the Spanish league. The Premier league is more tactically astute and would use tactics necessary to nullify his threat. If a team did what Athletico Madrid did then Messi wouldnt be able to play at all. Messi very rarely shoots on his right foot.. He doesnt generate the same power or precision and is predominately left footed so ive no idea where you got the patently untrue and finally messi would not be able to deal with the physicality of the premier league especially with his body according to doctors about to deteriorate when he hits his late twenties early thirties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Yes but considering the amount of minority teams who would find it difficult in the championship let alone the premiership he has all the time and space he wants in the Spanish league. The Premier league is more tactically astute and would use tactics necessary to nullify his threat. If a team did what Athletico Madrid did then Messi wouldnt be able to play at all.

You have truly been brainwashed by Sky in believing that nothing compares to the Premier League!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yes but considering the amount of minority teams who would find it difficult in the championship let alone the premiership he has all the time and space he wants in the Spanish league. The Premier league is more tactically astute and would use tactics necessary to nullify his threat. If a team did what Athletico Madrid did then Messi wouldnt be able to play at all. Messi very rarely shoots on his right foot.. He doesnt generate the same power or precision and is predominately left footed so ive no idea where you got the patently untrue and finally messi would not be able to deal with the physicality of the premier league especially with his body according to doctors about to deteriorate when he hits his late twenties early thirties.

You'd swear he never played against premiership teams in Europe the way you're going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Didn't Messi score the winner in the CL against Man United one year with a fine looping header? I think people might me downplaying his aerial ability just a bit. You don't have to be banging in headers constantly to be good at it, just capable when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Considering Messi was the stand-out player when playing the best team in the Premier League (Manchester City) last year over both legs, I find it difficult to envisage him struggling in the league as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Is that not the same guy that got Zlatan chucked out of the club how he could take the Centre Forward position for himself?

Just a guess here now from myself but didnt guardiola get rid of him because he didnt fit the system and also didnt buy into the barca way something which Zlatan admits himself. A way which Guardiola swears by.

Also if it was messi that decided he should get the center forward role for himself then he deserves manager of the year for realising it. He scored twice maybe three times what zlatan did in that role per season.

• So to step back to my point last month. The tides have turned yet again!

I have been disappointed with Ronaldo in this tournament so far after a great 18 months before the tournament.
    It's looking like they are heading out unless he does something tonight, but again Portugal as a team are poor, this was the same in the qualifiers and he can't be expected to carry the team all the time.

I have been very impressed with Messi so far, I really hope Argentina stay in the tournament as long as possible, he has scored some great goals so far but again Argentina are very weak defensively, if they loose Messi or Di Maria to injury there fooked.

Didn't Messi score the winner in the CL against Man United one year with a fine looping header? I think people might me downplaying his aerial ability just a bit. You don't have to be banging in headers constantly to be good at it, just capable when it matters.

it was a free header not an aerial battle. He is good at headers when he has nobody marking him but doesn't win headers against defenders

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So to step back to my point last month. The tides have turned yet again!

I have been disappointed with Ronaldo in this tournament so far after a great 18 months before the tournament.
    It's looking like they are heading out unless he does something tonight, but again Portugal as a team are poor, this was the same in the qualifiers and he can't be expected to carry the team all the time.

I have been very impressed with Messi so far, I really hope Argentina stay in the tournament as long as possible, he has scored some great goals so far but again Argentina are very weak defensively, if they loose Messi or Di Maria to injury there fooked.

I agree but I have a feeling Ronaldo is playing with a slight injury abnd Portugal have been absolutely appaling as a whole. Messi has been nothing short of fantastic but Argentina won't win, there will come a match when a team (quarters or semis) will press in midfield and without a proper playmaker and ammunition for an attack they will lose. Neymar has been the most impressive for me and is almost single handedly dragging Brazil through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I agree but I have a feeling Ronaldo is playing with a slight injury abnd Portugal have been absolutely appaling as a whole. Messi has been nothing short of fantastic but Argentina won't win, there will come a match when a team (quarters or semis) will press in midfield and without a proper playmaker and ammunition for an attack they will lose. Neymar has been the most impressive for me and is almost single handedly dragging Brazil through.

Neymar is almost single handedly dragging Brazil through. As is Messi dragging Argentina. The only one falling short is Ronaldo. If he's injured he shouldn't play. I havn't watched much of Portugal so can't really comment on how he played, but I did hear he gave a cracking assist for the equaliser V USA

• Advertisement

Neymar is almost single handedly dragging Brazil through. As is Messi dragging Argentina. The only one falling short is Ronaldo. If he's injured he shouldn't play. I havn't watched much of Portugal so can't really comment on how he played, but I did hear he gave a cracking assist for the equaliser V USA

Neymar and Messi have been the most impressive so far by far in the tournament bar maybe Benzema. The thing is when its his last chance at a world cup he would want to play regardless (injury or not) and his cross was world class but he still isnt performing.

Advertisement