Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In this WC : Messi easily. Ronnie had a howler.
    In this past year: Ronnie, been generally top draw whilst Messi was underpar
    Ever: Messi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 cathyledger

Ronaldo i personally think is better i enjoy watching is football more than messi and plus messi in that head & shoulders ad really does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Ronaldo i personally think is better i enjoy watching is football more than messi and plus messi in that head & shoulders ad really does my head in.

How could you possibly enjoy watching somebody who basically just scores goals rather than someone who can do everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not getting into the argument as its completely subjective as to what you want in a player etc.

But one thing that has stuck in my craw for a while is people have always said that Messi needs to do it at a World Cup to truely prove himself as one of, if not the, best of them all.

Why is this never said about CR7, who by my reckoning has never lit up any world cup he has played in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

gimmick wrote: »
    Why is this never said about CR7, who by my reckoning has never lit up any world cup he has played in?
    Because he's never seriously mentioned in best player of all time conversations? Which is good proof of Messi being better...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Was he?

And there were probably two teams at the World Cup with clear better squads, only Germany left

Well if your claiming Messi who still scored 40 odd goals or whatever last year was poor then yes by your standards ronaldo was poor at the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Argentina are heavyweights of international football, their last 9 world cups they've won it twice and finished in the quarters or beyond 6 times. The platform is there, they seem to always have the players, even this World Cup they've one of the best squads, Messi should provide the spark to help them win it.

Portugal have only qualified for the World Cup 6 times, and in the last 5 have only made it out of the groups twice.

It's like putting Messi in Chelsea and Ronaldo in Newcaslte and asking why Ronaldo doesn't help Newcastle win the league.

Well if your claiming Messi who still scored 40 odd goals or whatever last year was poor then yes by your standards ronaldo was poor at the world cup.

You are making stuff up

You are making stuff up

What exactly am I making up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Is this 'debate' still alive!

I thought everyone knew if you're Portuguese, a Real Madrid or Man Utd fan then it's Ronaldo, anyone else it's Messi.

What exactly am I making up

I didn't say Messi had a poor season, I said he was poor when Barca needed him most aka the bigger games. A half fit Ronaldo scored the winner in one and created the equaliser in the other game which would have been enough to get them through had Pepe not let the team down in the Germany game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I didn't say Messi had a poor season, I said he was poor when Barca needed him most aka the bigger games. A half fit Ronaldo scored the winner in one and created the equaliser in the other game which would have been enough to get them through had Pepe not let the team down in the Germany game.

Hat trick at the Bernabeu in March maybe?

He was poor by his standards, not poor by everyone elses in the season just ended.

Argentina are heavyweights of international football, their last 9 world cups they've won it twice and finished in the quarters or beyond 6 times. The platform is there, they seem to always have the players, even this World Cup they've one of the best squads, Messi should provide the spark to help them win it.

Portugal have only qualified for the World Cup 6 times, and in the last 5 have only made it out of the groups twice.

It's like putting Messi in Chelsea and Ronaldo in Newcaslte and asking why Ronaldo doesn't help Newcastle win the league.
    Argentina haven't got to a world cup semi final in 24 years.USA qualified out of Portugal's group, Portugal have way better players than USA on paper. As you obviously didn't read it the first time I will post this link again http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

And missed about 5 easy chances against Ghana which would have put them through

gimmick wrote: »
    Hat trick at the Bernabeu in March maybe?

He was poor by his standards, not poor by everyone elses in the season just ended.

He was poor by the standards him and Ronaldo have set, the only way Messi will beat Ronaldo to the Balon Dor this year is if he wins the World Cup.

If not, Ronaldo should win his 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Those other powerhouses of Ghana and the USA obviously just had too much strength in depth for poor old Portugal I suppose.

elefant wrote: »
    Those other powerhouses of Ghana and the USA obviously just had too much strength in depth for poor old Portugal I suppose.

They picked up 4 points from 6 in those games

They picked up 4 points from 6 in those games

Yes and would have got through but for Ronaldo missing loads of easy chances, while Messi has led Argentina to their best world cup in 24 years

So I didn't make anything up. If you feel ronaldo had a good world cup good luck to you. As I said on another thread Messi is a far more complete player than ronaldo better control ,dribbling, vision, short one touch passing and finishing.Ronaldo trumps him with the power and pace of his game but little else. No disputing ronaldo was the best player in the world last year but Messi has been better every other year they have been in Spain.

So I didn't make anything up. If you feel ronaldo had a good world cup good luck to you. As I said on another thread Messi is a far more complete player than ronaldo better control ,dribbling, vision, short one touch passing and finishing.Ronaldo trumps him with the power and pace of his game but little else. No disputing ronaldo was the best player in the world last year but Messi has been better every other year they have been in Spain.
    Well if your claiming Messi who still scored 40 odd goals or whatever last year was poor.

Finishing and one touch passing? Are you serious? Control? Messi loses the ball a lot more often than Ronaldo.

Vision? You mean Messi has better passing than Ronaldo in a tiki taca system compared to a counter attacking system. Obviously. That doesn't mean he has better vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Finishing and one touch passing? Are you serious? Control? Messi loses the ball a lot more often than Ronaldo.

Vision? You mean Messi has better passing than Ronaldo in a tiki taca system compared to a counter attacking system. Obviously. That doesn't mean he has better vision.

tiki taca?

Messi-pass-v-Belgium.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

eagle eye wrote: »

Anyways Leo Messi is two matches away from being crowned the GOAT.

If only it was that easy. Certain fanboys will still 'debate' it.

Don't buy the 'Portugal are sh*t' defence for 'Ronnie' stinking out the World Cup either especially after he singlehandedly dragged a makeshift Madrid team of randomly chosen amateurs to the CL a month before.

It's been 5 odd years since he left Utd you really need to be able to watch both players in action at this stage and appreciate their attributes without wearing those red tinted glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

HE didn't do much in the CL Final to help Madrid. He was carrying an injury and shouldn't have been on the pitch.

It's been 5 odd years since he left Utd you really need to be able to watch both players in action at this stage and appreciate their attributes without wearing those red tinted glasses

typical response when you can't argue any of the points made, along with making up stuff in your earlier post I can see now the direction this is heading. But yeah more complete player. lol.

typical response when you can't argue any of the points made, along with making up stuff in your earlier post I can see now the direction this is heading. But yeah more complete player. lol.

Just please read the link I posted, it would prove to you that Messi is a far superior footballer. Better at passing, dribbling, shooting, creating, everything important for an attacker basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

There is no argument though. Messi always has been, will always be and will forever be remembered as the best player of his generation.

Fescue wrote: »
    There is no argument though. Messi always has been, will always be and will forever be remembered as the best player of his generation.

The End

<Close Thread>

Just please read the link I posted, it would prove to you that Messi is a far superior footballer. Better at passing, dribbling, shooting, creating, everything important for an attacker basically

That article treats all clubs and international teams as if they were all level, surely you see what's wrong with that and I won't need to explain it
    Fescue wrote: »

Nope, this thread was made at the peak of Messi's career and Ronaldo still comes away with 33% of the votes to Messi's 67%

I'm guessing if you polled all soccer fans as of today it would be near 50-50

That article treats all clubs and international teams as if they were all level, surely you see what's wrong with that and I won't need to explain it

Nope, this thread was made at the peak of Messi's career and Ronaldo still comes away with 33% of the votes to Messi's 67%

So because they are at different clubs, that explains why Messi is better at basically everything. Surely if Messi was better at passing then Ronaldo would be better at dribbling or shooting but no Messi is better at everything

And the reason the poll is someway close is because there are so many United fans on the board

• Advertisement

Sure if you put the poll in the United thread.

So because they are at different clubs, that explains why Messi is better at basically everything. Surely if Messi was better at passing then Ronaldo would be better at dribbling or shooting but no Messi is better at everything

And the reason the poll is someway close is because there are so many United fans on the board

He is not better at everything, that article takes 6 or 7 different stats, there are like a hundred other stats that may or may not have Ronaldo better than Messi that are not used in that article.

He is not better at everything, that article takes 6 or 7 different stats, there are like a hundred other stats that may or may not have Ronaldo better than Messi that are not used in that article.

Okay Ronaldo is better at heading. Messi is better at passing, dribbling, shooting, getting assists. There isn't really a lot else that matters for an attacking player

Okay Ronaldo is better at heading. Messi is better at passing, dribbling, shooting, getting assists. There isn't really a lot else that matters for an attacking player

All you can say is that Messi may be better at all of those things playing for Barca, but Ronaldo has and never will play for Barca. Same way Ronaldo is better at passing, dribbling, shooting, getting assists than Messi at Madrid.

Interestingly they both are level when it comes to playing for Stoke

All you can say is that Messi may be better at all of those things playing for Barca, but Ronaldo has and never will play for Barca. Same way Ronaldo is better at passing, dribbling, shooting, getting assists than Messi at Madrid.

Okay so because they play for different clubs you can't compare them? I suppose Shola Ameobi is as good as Luis Suarez going by that logic

Okay so because they play for different clubs you can't compare them? I suppose Shola Ameobi is as good as Luis Suarez going by that logic

I never said you can't compare them. If you compare them you need to have an open mind and take everything into account, not an article with a few stats that acts as if Barca, possibly the greatest club team of all time during that period, were on equal footing to Madrid.

Read back through your posts Messi was poor for barca because he didn't do it in the big games yet ronaldo gets a pass because he scored 1 goal in the world cup there isn't much consistency in what you are trying to say. I get that you have a soft spot for ronaldo as he gave you a lot of happy memories but if he played for city Chelsea arsenal Liverpool before his move to Madrid I wouldn't be so sure you would have the same opinion of him.Ronaldo has some great attributes but I just can't see how you could argue he is better at most of those attributes I quoted.

I never said you can't compare them. If you compare them you need to have an open mind and take everything into account, not an article with a few stats that acts as if Barca, possibly the greatest club team of all time during that period, were on equal footing to Madrid.
    But he is better at basically everything,I would take your point if Ronaldo was better than him at more things but he isn't. Messi is clearly better than him at almost everything. Just please take the Man Utd blinkers off for a minute

Read back through your posts Messi was poor for barca because he didn't do it in the big games yet ronaldo gets a pass because he scored 1 goal in the world cup there isn't much consistency in what you are trying to say. I get that you have a soft spot for ronaldo as he gave you a lot of happy memories but if he played for city Chelsea arsenal Liverpool before his move to Madrid I wouldn't be so sure you would have the same opinion of him.Ronaldo has some great attributes but I just can't see how you could argue he is better at most of those attributes I quoted.

He did okay under the circumstances, he played a big part in his country getting 4 points after playing an even bigger part in getting them to the World Cup in the first place.

You realise you are still arguing that "Ronaldo was poor when they needed him the most" yes? Do you see how it's wrong?

• Advertisement

lalalala.gif

He did okay under the circumstances, he played a big part in his country getting 4 points after playing an even bigger part in getting them to the World Cup in the first place.

You realise you are still arguing that "Ronaldo was poor when they needed him the most" yes? Do you see how it's wrong?

I'm not I'm arguing that if you can say Messi was poor when Barca needed him by that logic ronaldo was poor when Portugal needed him.By the way you do realise you are arguing that ronaldo is a better player than Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Or you could watch them play both at a club level and internationally. There's no question messi is the better all round player.

I'm not I'm arguing that if you can say Messi was poor when Barca needed him by that logic ronaldo was poor when Portugal needed him.By the way you do realise you are arguing that ronaldo is a better player than Messi.

Nope, what you are saying there isn't using any logic I've posted. You are saying just because I said Messi was poor Ronaldo was poor as well, it doesn't make sense at all and I think you should contemplate that for a second.

Ronaldo has been a better player for the last year, taking and comparing both of their careers so far is what this thread is about.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Or you could watch them play both at a club level and internationally. There's no question messi is the better all round player.

Except there is a question, obviously.

If Argentina win the World Cup that question will finally disappear. For that reason alone I hope they do it.

• Advertisement

Not if you actually watch both play and don't just look at goalscoring records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Something I just came across earlier....Messi is supposedly having a poor year while Ronaldo is on the form of his life. I admit Messi isn't as great atm as he has been previously but then again nobody will ever emulate or can emulate the year Messi broke the goal scoring record or even the years sandwiching them....anyway today I looked up messi vs ronaldo stats for this year and Messi is ahead...granted a few games more but for a fella "off form" and who has been injured more than Ronaldo it's quite impressive don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Messi has definitely lost some pace, he has nothing like the burst of power he had a few years ago.

Ronaldo still the best in the world, should retain his balon d'or as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

****ing lol Rayne...

• Advertisement
Advertisement