Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi Or Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ronaldo still the best in the world, should retain his balon d'or as well

Must have missed Ronaldo winning the World Cup there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Still not debatable...one set back doesn't hide the fact Messi outshined Ronaldo again on the biggest stage...he may have had a mare the last few games but Ronaldo was comparable to Torres in the tournament...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That's an exceptionally petty post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Essien wrote: »
    That's an exceptionally petty post.

Not at all, it's fairly relevant to the thread title that Ronaldo remains the best. Messi winning the WC would have given him god status among most who've been posting in here

Not at all, it's fairly relevant to the thread title that Ronaldo remains the best. Messi winning the WC would have given him god status among most who've been posting in here

And what does Ronaldo's butt stink performance at this WC do to his "status"?

And what does Ronaldo's butt stink performance at this WC do to his "status"?

He was decent, not at his best. Still hard to look past him for best player this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Player of the tournament for Messi, fully deserved and cements his status as the best in the world.

There have been some big let downs in this tournament, 'Ronnie' and Aguero at the fore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Not at all

Of course it is.

You've taken a cheap pop at Messi when he's lost a World Cup at the death.

Ironically, the timing of your post stinks of somebody who knows they're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Player of the tournament for Messi, fully deserved and cements his status as the best in the world.

There have been some big let downs in this tournament, 'Ronnie' and Aguero at the fore.

Your posting that with a straight face? I think Messi is the best in the world but player of the tournament is an outrageous decision. Still laughing about it.

Mascherano was much, much better than him and thats only in the Argentine team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

He wasn't even the best Argentine in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

An arguably not even 50% Messi goes significantly further in the tournament than Ronaldo, only to lose out on the trophy in the most **** way.

Long story short; lol @ you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can only assume they were both injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ronaldo already has god status as far as your concerned though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Messi did the sum total of **** all in the semi and the final. Thats disappointing for somebody who wants to be labeled the greatest of all time, I'd bet that Maradona or Zidane wouldn't have let the games pass them completely by like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Want even one of the top 10 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

lol someone hasn't been watching the games

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Messi did the sum total of **** all in the semi and the final. Thats disappointing for somebody who wants to be labeled the greatest of all time, I'd bet that Maradona or Zibdane wouldn't have let the games pass them completely by like that.

Its not much of a bet seen as the event has already happened.

Want even one of the top 10 players.

Would be a massive shock for him not to be in team of the tournament tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ballon D'or is very open this year. I wouldn't have Messi or Ronaldo as a clear winner. If Suarez didn't bite Chiellini i would have him as a big contender if he keeps up his form at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The loss tonight for Messi is really a win for Ronaldo. He wins now. Messi should retire and stop farting about :D

[/expert opinion]

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ballon D'or is very open this year. I wouldn't have Messi or Ronaldo as a clear winner. If Suarez didn't bite Chiellini i would have him as a big contender if he keeps up his form at Barca.

1389111215616.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I think we've become so used to Messi's moments of magic that we don't appreciate them. There was a few times tonight that he took the ball past 2-3 defenders when no one else on the planet could even attempt it. He was exhausted by the end but I felt he was the class on the pitch for the first 45 minutes.

MD1990 wrote: »

I think Lahm is worth a shout too...been as consistently brilliant as anyone with the last 4/5 years and has a WC medal as captain to boot too. Just glad Ibrahimovic won't be anywhere near the thing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The man of the match awards argument for Messi is fair enough but it doesn't take into account everyone else in the tournament. It's a a false way of getting a player of the tournament award. He certainly wasn't in the top 5 players in the tournament, debatable top 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Messi did the sum total of **** all in the semi and the final. Thats disappointing for somebody who wants to be labeled the greatest of all time, I'd bet that Maradona or Zibdane wouldn't have let the games pass them completely by like that.

Well, the thread is about Ronaldo or Messi. How did Ronaldo do in the semi and the final?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, the thread is about Ronaldo or Messi. How did Ronaldo do in the semi and the final?

Well Ronaldo didn't show up in the final and you could say the same about Messi...

Well Ronaldo didn't show up in the final and you could say the same about Messi...

Bollocks to that...he made a handful of great dribbles, tore your boy Hummels' arsehole numerous times with his runs...wasn't incredible at all and was lazy throughout but you're just being biased as hell now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bollocks to that...he made a handful of great dribbles, tore your boy Hummels' arsehole numerous times with his runs...wasn't incredible at all and was lazy throughout but you're just being biased as hell now

Messi did sweet **** all, no real point in pretending otherwise.

Dribbles and runs, are we comparing him with Stewie Downing now

• Advertisement

Dribbles and runs, are we comparing him with Stewie Downing now

Your bias is actually laughable. To compare the dribbling ability Messi displayed tonight to downing... It's kind of the equivalent of bringing up the Nazis to prove your point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ronaldo doesn't even belong in this thread - couldn't get his team out of a mediocre group, whereas Messi dragged a rag tag bunch of misfits into the final only to be beaten by the best TEAM in the tournament.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Your bias is actually laughable. To compare the dribbling ability Messi displayed tonight to downing... It's kind of the equivalent of bringing up the Nazis to prove your point.

My point went completely over your head, dribbles and runs yet nothing to show for it. It's like saying "yeah well they had more goals, but we thrashed them in possession"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

F1ngers wrote: »
    Ronaldo doesn't even belong in this thread - couldn't get his team out of a mediocre group, whereas Messi dragged a rag tag bunch of misfits into the final only to be beaten by the best TEAM in the tournament.

Aguero, Zabaleta, Di Maria, Mascherano, Higuain.

Rag tag bunch of misfits? Really?

Bottom line being Messi did so much more than Ronaldo in this tournament...had it happened the other way round Messi would be cremated while Ronaldo would be praised for getting to a WC final... Ronaldo has barely been mentioned after his farce of a three games for them. He didnt do a thing vs Germany, nothing. Messi will never be fully appreciated until he retires as there is too much expectation on him, the price for being the best player of his generation... I'm gonna end it here for tonight because the hatred for Messi is ridiculous and there's no point arguing with some people here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Aguero, Zabaleta, Di Maria, Mascherano, Higuain.

Rag tag bunch of misfits? Really?

;)

My point went completely over your head, dribbles and runs yet nothing to show for it. It's like saying "yeah well they had more goals, but we thrashed them in possession"

It didn't go over my head. You compared him to an average player in an attempt to mock a point someone else made. Had higuian managed to stay inside his great pass to lavezzi would have lead to something. He ghosted past players at times in a way that very few people in history have been able to do. To compare making that point to him being Stewart downing is ridiculous.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    It didn't go over my head. You compared him to an average player in an attempt to mock a point someone else made. Had higuian managed to stay inside his great pass to lavezzi would have lead to something. He ghosted past players at times in a way that very few people in history have been able to do. To compare making that point to him being Stewart downing is ridiculous.

I didn't compare him, I jokingly asked if we were, such was the ridiculousness of the post trying to make out Messi did something with a few dribbles and runs when I watched the game and saw he did fcuk all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Bottom line being Messi did so much more than Ronaldo in this tournament...had it happened the other way round Messi would be cremated while Ronaldo would be praised for getting to a WC final... Ronaldo has barely been mentioned after his farce of a three games for them. He didnt do a thing vs Germany, nothing. Messi will never be fully appreciated until he retires as there is too much expectation on him, the price for being the best player of his generation... I'm gonna end it here for tonight because the hatred for Messi is ridiculous and there's no point arguing with some people here

It's not fair to compare Portugal with Argentina. Argentina have a lot of decent world class players playing at Europe's biggest clubs... Ronaldo is surrounded by useless donkeys like Eder! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

Well, Well, Well.

The FAKE ronaldo was muck again (whats new?)

As Fake as a 2 dollor bill.

Cristiano was total rubbish on the worlds biggest stage. (whats new?)

Messi was the world cup Golden Ball winner 2014

Messi best ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Sandraevra wrote: »
    Well, Well, Well.

The FAKE ronaldo was muck again (whats new?)

As Fake as a 2 dollor bill.

Cristiano was total rubbish on the worlds biggest stage. (whats new?)

Messi was the world cup Golden Ball winner 2014

Messi best ever?

Not the best ever.

He failed when his team needed him the most.

That free kick at the end was a joke, he only showed fight in the last 5 mins.

The past world greats like Zidane, Maradonna would never let such a game pass them by.

Messi was lazy again tonight, didn't play like a captain and take the game to Germany.

He will always live in Diego's shadow until he wins the world cup for his country.

Messi getting the golden ball award is a joke too, Robben, Rodriguez were both way better.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Not the best ever.

He failed when his team needed him the most.

That free kick at the end was a joke, he only showed fight in the last 5 mins.

The past world greats like Zidane, Maradonna would never let such a game pass them by.

Messi was lazy again tonight, didn't play like a captain and take the game to Germany.

He will always live in Diego's shadow until he wins the world cup for his country.

Messi getting the golden ball award is a joke too, Robben, Rodriguez were both way better.

Meh, best ever for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Sandraevra wrote: »
    Meh, best ever for me.

Not for me.

On his day Ronaldinho was better.

Messi has had a far better career, but a young absolute peak Ronaldinho could
    do more damage on the biggest stage like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You do realise that football is a team game?

And rag tag misfits? Christ on a bike.

F**k sake. Just when you think you've seen every kind of stupid, the internet plumbs new depths.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You do realise that football is a team game?

And rag tag misfits? Christ on a bike.

F**k sake. Just when you think you've seen every kind of stupid, the internet plumbs new depths.

The internet plumbs new depths. :-) New :-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

fact is messi is 2 years younger than ronaldo, has played about 100 clubs games less than ronaldo, but is only 10 goals behind ronaldo, internationally messi is 21 games and 8 goals behind ronaldo,

14 trophies for ronaldo, 21 for messi,
    2 balen d'ors for ronaldo, 4 for messi,
    74 individual awards for ronaldo, 108 for messi

last 5 years in Spanish league together, 252 goals for ronaldo, 276 goals for messi

votes in this thread, which lets me honest is what really matters
    214 for ronaldo
    415 for messi

both players had access to great teams and great managers, ronaldo has had a great career that isnt anywhere near over, but it really looks like messi is gonna leave him in the dust by the times their both retired

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AnonEmos99

I've always been a fan of Messi. Neymar's my second favourite. Ronaldo pales in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Why do people find the need to have such extreme opinions. If you like Messi then you have to say Ronaldo isn't in his league and vice versa. It completely undermines your opinion no matter what side of the argument you fall on.

They are both tremendous players and we are blessed to see both in their prime at the same time. Personally, I rate Messi higher but I could see why people favour Ronaldo.

They will both go down as true greats in the history of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Not for me.

On his day Ronaldinho was better.

Messi has had a far better career, but a young absolute peak Ronaldinho could
    do more damage on the biggest stage like today.

Ronaldinho's period of dominance was so short lived he's not worth talking about in the discussion of best ever. Ronaldo and Messi are streets ahead of him already in my opinion, with both having at least two years left on top injury permitting.

I used to be a die hard Messi fan but my view of Ronnie has really improved in the last two years and he was deserved winner of the Ballon d'Or this year. However Messi has had the better world cup. Anyone arguing otherwise is fooling themselves, either because they didn't watch Argentina or Portugal's matches and only looked at results, or they have a bias. Argentina on paper are superior to Portugal, but Portugal are no Ireland, loads of talent in that squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Good job giving credit to a defence that went 413 minutes (just shy of 7 hours) without conceding in the knockout stages. Fact is Messi was invisible for the semi finals and the final, and was choppy before then too (he only had two good games, Belgium where he played well and Nigeria where he was exceptional). It's quite obvious that those voting had made their minds up that they were voting Messi regardless once the group stage was over as Muller, Robben and Rodriguez were all better, and the latter two doing so with less talent behind them.

It also ignores that Ronaldo wasp playing injured in a group with Germany, Ghana and the US while Messi was quite well rested and in a group that featured Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria. Spot the differences. That's before going into the fact that the only Portuguese player better than his Argentine counterpart is Coentrao, who went out injured in the first half of the first game. Possibly Motrinho or Bruno Alves also vs Biglia/Demichelis, but only because all four of those players are mediocre.

I don't really have a favourite by the way, for me Ro aldo works better for certain teams and setups and Messi for others.

Advertisement