Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who names these things ??

• 10-11-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

I was going to put this up on Afterhours, but seeing as I saw it in the Crescent Shopping Centre........

2011-11-09_0926181.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

lol brilliant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

OMG! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lol, sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

haha nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Hahahaha.. Took me a few reads over to realise what it said :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

lol, I love it:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

They could hardly have called at "a night to forget":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Haha, brilliant/:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I guess the poster is doing exactly waht it was designed to do, get the attention of the public. 196 views here alone, hopefully, some will go along and support the charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Christ some people are dumb.
    I think that was exactly the point of it, it wasn't an "hilarious" mistake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »

buzz_killington_191x300_So_troll-s191x300-152037-535.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

buzz_killington_191x300_So_troll-s191x300-152037-535.jpg

:P

You, as an "alleged" mod should know better.
    This is a disgraceful thread to leave open.
    Have some respect.
    Shame on you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gihj wrote: »
    This is a disgraceful thread to leave open.
    Have some respect.
    Shame on you.

I'm confused. Why should there be "shame" on me? :confused:
    It's a genuine poster for a legitimate event.

If anything, the Alzheimer Society of Ireland should be lauded for having a sense of humour!
    You, as an "alleged" mod should know better.

Also, there's nothing "alleged" about it. I am a mod. Of 5 forums. Deal with it.

I'm confused. Why should there be "shame" on me? :confused:
    It's a genuine poster for a legitimate event.

If anything, the Alzheimer Society of Ireland should be lauded for having a sense of humour!

Also, there's nothing "alleged" about it. I am a mod. Of 5 forums. Deal with it.

It's obvious to anyone but a fool that it was not intended like that.
    The op had his fun as did the thankers but your job is to draw a line on here but you didn't you just joined in.

Try living with an elderly relative with alzheimers and then have a laugh at it then.

What's next on here???
    Cancer?
    Once again it shows a lack of moderation on this excuse for a forum.
    Disgraceful.

Try living with an elderly relative with alzheimers and then have a laugh at it then.

I'm not laughing at Alzheimers. I'm laughing at a cleverly designed poster. There's a big difference.
    What's next on here???
    Cancer?
    Once again it shows a lack of moderation on this excuse for a forum.
    Disgraceful.

Mod note: I'll be blunt. If you don't like the forum, don't read it.

Back on topic now please.

I'm not laughing at Alzheimers. I'm laughing at a cleverly designed poster. There's a big difference.

Mod note: I'll be blunt. If you don't like the forum, don't read it.

Back on topic now please.

You honestly think it was cleverly designed???
    So some could laugh at it?
    I'd like to see your proof of that.
    It's insensitive at the very least and you as a mod should be capable of stepping back and rising above it.

Once again...
    Mod note:Back on topic now please.

Take it to PM if you two just want to flirt it out for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Firstly, the post was not directed towards you.
    Secondly i didn't attack anybody personally.
    Thirdly, please report a post if you don't like it.
    No back seat modding allowed.
    You should know that by now.
    I would agree that it wasn't intended because to be honest it's not in very good taste if it was. Loads of Gala's have been called 'A night to remember' so I think they didn't realise that this common Gala theme wasn't exactly fitting for their society.

However, I can't see how you reserve the right to shove peoples sense of humour down their throats just because you personally find it distasteful.

I had a laugh myself.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I would agree that it wasn't intended because to be honest it's not in very good taste if it was. Loads of Gala's have been called 'A night to remember' so I think they didn't realise that this common Gala theme wasn't exactly fitting for their society.

However, I can't see how you reserve the right to shove peoples sense of humour down their throats just because you personally find it distasteful.

I had a laugh myself.

I can perfectly understand that and as i said the op had his laugh but the fact is many people have lost relatives to Alzheimeirs and it's a heartbreaking thing to see an elderly relative go through this.

Your post is honest and to be commended so i accept that.
    The problem is when a mod who is given and trusted with responsibility doesn't know how to deal with those responsibilities.

Is it really any different to another serious ailment that would be seen to be distasteful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I was going to put this up on Afterhours, but seeing as I saw it in the Crescent Shopping Centre........

2011-11-09_0926181.jpg

HAHAHA

quality

Once again...

Yeah while the mod carries on laughing at an illness that causes nothing but heartache.
    Give yourself a great big mature pat on the back.

Once again...

Here take your pick of these unfortunate boardsies and lets have a laugh at their "funny" problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=862

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's obvious to anyone but a fool that it was not intended like that.
    Well, I must be a fool so, because I think it was intended like that.

It's a night to remember those with Alzheimer's ... and the choice of the particular phrase reminds us of what is so shocking and sad (and indeed scary) about Alzheimer's.

And I have known two people close to me who developed Alzheimer's, one at 46.

I think it's a brilliant poster, which will be extremely effective. And I don't think it mocks sufferers or their families at all, I don't for a second think that's the intention.

But it will make people smile and *remember*, even if for many we will smile with the prickle of tears at the corner of our eyes.

And all of us who have known people with this affliction will know that feeling well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

2011-11-09_0926181.jpg
    You totally have to put that in YLYL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was this in reply to my post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

My grandmother suffered from Alzheimers, and lived with us in the family home up until she died.

One thing I learned from those final years with her is that you have to have a sense of humour about all the ridiculous/upsetting things they say and do, otherwise you'd drive yourself into depression.

So yeah, I laughed at this poster, and I'd like to think that was the intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Yeah while the mod carries on laughing at an illness that causes nothing but heartache.
    Give yourself a great big mature pat on the back.

I really don't think you get it, IO isn't laughing at Alzheimers. He's laughing at a poster for an event which is raising funds for Alzheimers.

It's a humorous play on words, whether intentional or not and whether you like it or not, people find this type of thing funny. The issue as I see it, is one of political correctness.....it has become an outrage to joke about anything in case it offends someone.

Every joke is offensive to someone, unless of course you include jokes like: What's orange and sounds like a parrot? A carrot!.........While this affects you, and many other posters on this forum who have been touched by this horrible affliction. You seem to be the only one giving out about it.

I don't mean to be back seat modding here, but you really need to let this one go. You're not making IO look like a bad mod, you're just making yourself look foolish by making a big argument out of a non-issue and dragging the thread totally off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

phog wrote: »

Was this in reply to my post?

Not as such, it was in support of your point. Can't understand people fallin over themselves with LOL OMG etc, when the it was obviously a very clever, well thought out campaign.

Do people really think that the organisers didn't know what they were doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

gloobag wrote: »
    My grandmother suffered from Alzheimers, and lived with us in the family home up until she died.

One thing I learned from those final years with her is that you have to have a sense of humour about all the ridiculous/upsetting things they say and do, otherwise you'd drive yourself into depression.

So yeah, I laughed at this poster, and I'd like to think that was the intention.

My Dad had Alzheimers for 10 years until the day he died too, it didnt stop us from having some great times, some times he remembered us some times he didnt, to the day he died he knew who my Mother was, we still laugh at some of the things he came out with, its a terrible illness and sometimes the only sanity is too laugh with it

anyway I think the invitation is brillant, hilerious and isnt it doing what its suppose to do, highlight the alzheimers society of Ireland.

to the people who think its offensve, get over it and take a chill pill, it would be more in line if you supported it,

to the person who designed the invitations, hats off to you, night to remember is a fantastic line, well done

Advertisement