Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who names these things ??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think the poster was a mistake . My aunt had the disease and it was very sad but I still found the post very funny . If we can't laugh at something then it's a sad day I also believe the mod in this Case made the right call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dont think it is a mistake.
    There is a different poster here at work from the Alzheimer Society with the same kind of wording.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

source wrote: »
    I really don't think you get it, IO isn't laughing at Alzheimers. He's laughing at a poster for an event which is raising funds for Alzheimers...
    skyguy19 wrote: »
    to the people who think its offensve, get over it and take a chill pill, it would be more in line if you supported it

Mod note: Just so people are aware, gihj has been banned for 2 months after picking up his 10th red card/3rd ban on the Limerick Forum. He may still see your posts by logging out, but he won't be able to reply to them here until some time in January (unless he appeals the ban in the DR forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Not as such, it was in support of your point. Can't understand people fallin over themselves with LOL OMG etc, when the it was obviously a very clever, well thought out campaign.

Do people really think that the organisers didn't know what they were doing?
    I don't think it was intended for two reasons. One it seems that every Gala in the UL concert hall is themed 'A night to remember' and two while it is quite funny I think the organisers would feel obliged to show a little more discretion in picking such a theme consciously in the event some do find it to be in bad taste. I can see how some people might find it so and I don't judge them for it in as much as I wouldn't expect to be judged for finding it funny. Each to their own at the end of the day.

On that note calling for a moderators blood is a bit far IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I really think that for some reason gihj was looking for a row , I don't know . But again the mod called it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

http://www.alzheimer.ie/eng/Fundraising/Fundraising-Events-Campaigns/What's-happening-in-your-area/Munster-events

"A Night to Remember" is the name of the fundraising campaign and is intended. It is to make people reflect and be grateful that they have the ability to remember, whereas sadly some people do not. I feel this is a well thought of title.
    If people mistakenly think wasn't intentional then I wouldn't see anything wrong with them finding it amusing, it's not making fun of the illness, they are laughing at the "mistake".
    I'm not sure why people could get upset at them intentionally naming it so. These thing are all about awareness, and hopefully getting people to go along. This has sure created at least a little on this forum free of charge. That's clever naming in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

We've a poster in the shop for that, gave us all a laugh too :)

RaoulPuke wrote: »
    I'm not sure why people could get upset at them intentionally naming it so. These thing are all about awareness, and hopefully getting people to go along. This has sure created at least a little on this forum free of charge. That's clever naming in my book.
    It's also created quite a stir on this forum. While the individual in question was being extremely over bearing I don't judge them for the fact that they found it inappropriate. That's a right. I can imagine a number of people who would be of similar opinion. Sense of humour is relative. With that in mind I would have expected the organisers to be a little more cautious when choosing their marketing approach.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    It's also created quite a stir on this forum. While the individual in question was being extremely over bearing I don't judge them for the fact that they found it inappropriate. That's a right. I can imagine a number of people who would be of similar opinion. Sense of humour is relative. With that in mind I would have expected the organisers to be a little more cautious when choosing their marketing approach.

The marketing goys got it bang on, frankly.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    The marketing goys got it bang on, frankly.
    Granted but we're talking about a disease not Broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have MS and am tickled by the regular MS sponsored walks. I don't find it offensive and if it raises awareness and funds, well good on them.

I have MS and am tickled by the regular MS sponsored walks. I don't find it offensive and if it raises awareness and funds, well good on them.
    And that's fine. I'm merely trying to point out that people have the right to find such things distasteful if that's how they feel. I have a chronic ailment, nothing so debilitating as alzheimer's or MS, but I love to have a good laugh about it because if you don't laugh you cry.

However making light of it on a public poster for promotional purposes you have to respect the fact that you're leaving yourself open to criticism from people who find it tasteless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Oh come on, lay off Insect Overlord FFS.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

82 posters on Boards have "thanked" the OP. I reckon several hundred other posters have seen it, and at least as many visitors/lurkers/non-registered readers.

If that's not a quality piece of awareness-raising advertising, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

RonMexico wrote: »
    Oh come on, lay Insect Overlord FFS.
    Ah now, he's not quite THAT desperate yet!! >_>

MyKeyG wrote: »
    And that's fine. I'm merely trying to point out that people have the right to find such things distasteful if that's how they feel. I have a chronic ailment, nothing so debilitating as alzheimer's or MS, but I love to have a good laugh about it because if you don't laugh you cry.

However making light of it on a public poster for promotional purposes you have to respect the fact that you're leaving yourself open to criticism from people who find it tasteless.

Ah whatever.

The ad's raised awareness for a great campaign.

EDIT: Edit's not worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

epic-fail-forgetting-to-have-empathy-fail.png

Made its way onto http://www.failblog.org

:D (Not by me)

Advertisement