Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre over Wifi?

• 10-11-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Currently have general broadband. (BT).
    I'm planning to upgrade to BT Infinity fibre internet. (approx 32mb download speed).

However, I always use Wifi in the house.
    Am I going to see a significant jump in speed when using it over wifi?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Compared to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Meesared wrote: »
    Compared to?

When it's a wired connection i presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're using at least 802.11 g (up to 54 Mpbs) then you'll get the benefit, any lower protocol (a or b) then the Wi-Fi speed will be the weak link and you won't get 32 Mpbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

It depends on your router. The vast majority of modern routers are 'g' routers meaning they support speeds up to 54Mbps. So unless you've got a crap router you should be fine.

That said, a wired network is always more desirable than a wireless one and you might notice some difference in the speed when using wireless. I always use wireless on my laptop and never notice much of a difference in speed compared to when wired but I've only got a 3Mbps connection so not really in a position to comment.:pac:

gouche wrote: »
    It depends on your router. The vast majority of modern routers are 'g' routers meaning they support speeds up to 54Mbps. So unless you've got a crap router you should be fine.

That said, a wired network is always more desirable than a wireless one and you might notice some difference in the speed when using wireless. I always use wireless on my laptop and never notice much of a difference in speed compared to when wired but I've only got a 3Mbps connection so not really in a position to comment.:pac:

Disagree. If he's upgrading the BB speed then the ISP will make sure that he has a router to handle the higher speed, the issue for most users is the Wi-Fi speeds supported by the PC or mobile device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

coylemj wrote: »
    Disagree. If he's upgrading the BB speed then the ISP will make sure that he has a router to handle the higher speed, the issue for most users is the Wi-Fi speeds supported by the PC or mobile device.

Exactly which part of my post are you disagreeing with? The part where I say as long as he has at least a 'g' router he'll be fine or the part where I say a wired connection is preferable to a wireless one?

In all fairness, it's been a long time since laptops shipped with a/b wireless cards and I doubt - but am open to correction - that he's going to be doing large data transfers with a smartphone. Most modern mobile devices support speeds up to 54Mbps anyway with many, such as iPhone 4, supporting 802.11n.

Exactly which part of my post are you disagreeing with?

This bit ...

His ISP is upgrading him to 32 Mbps so the router will be upgraded if it can't already handle that speed. He could easily have an ancient PC with a Wi-Fi card that only supports 802.11 a/b. His only concern should be for the capability of the connecting devices, not the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you're using at least 802.11 g (up to 54 Mpbs) then you'll get the benefit, any lower protocol (a or b) then the Wi-Fi speed will be the weak link and you won't get 32 Mpbs.

Yes, 54Mbit, in a lab, with no other devices or interference.

In reality wireless "g" tops off in the mid to high 20's, no higher. And that's with only one device connected, other devices connecting with lower data rates would slow things down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Neither of these statements is correct. First off, practically you'll never get 54Mbps (or close) on a home Wifi connection, and that's uni-direction anyway. In practice, you may get about half the rated speed. Distance, interference, walls/ceilings, quality of router and receiver all have an impact on performance.

Secondly, it is not the ISP's responsibility to provide a Wifi router, and they certainly will never guarantee anything over Wifi.

To answer the OP's question, you may or may not see the speed increase if using a Wifi connection. Even with 802.11n you still might not get the full speed. No one can answer the question accurately. You have to try it out and see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Meesared wrote: »
    Compared to?
    baraca wrote: »
    When it's a wired connection i presume.

No sorry, compared to the standard broadband I have now. i.e. "Is there much point in me upgrading?"

I use a Macbook Pro mainly, so network speed shouldn't be an issue on that end. Also, BT are suppling the "modem and router", so I'm assuming that Wifi will be able to supply a router to take advantage of the speed increase!

What max speed does 802.11 n support? Is there a way to test over a local network?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

What I mean is - I currently have a download speed of 6.15Mbps, when using Wifi (just checked).
    When I upgrade to fibre, am I really going to see close to 32Mbps (advertised is 40Mbps), or will the Wifi have a large restricting effect on Mbps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Reoil wrote: »
    What I mean is - I currently have a download speed of 6.15Mbps, when using Wifi (just checked).
    When I upgrade to fibre, am I really going to see close to 32Mbps (advertised is 40Mbps), or will the Wifi have a large restricting effect on Mbps?

See Jor El's post above for your answer. You more then likely wont see speed past 24-25mb/s and that is if you are lucky

I use a Macbook Pro mainly, so network speed shouldn't be an issue on that end.

Sorry, but what's that supposed to mean?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sorry, but what's that supposed to mean?

MacBookPros have a 802.11 n compatible network card...

MacBookPros have a 802.11 n compatible network card...

Yes, and so have most laptops or netbooks sold for the last 2 years.

Yes, and so have most laptops or netbooks sold for the last 2 years.

That was my point, thanks.

That was my point, thanks.

Looked like you were making a point you had a MacBook Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Looked like you were making a point you had a MacBook Pro

MacBook Pros have magic Steve Jobs fairy dust in them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a good chance that if BT are supplying the router that it will at least be 150mbps 802.11n at this point in time (particularly given the speed they are supplying) which will be fine wirelessly up to about 60-70mbps (in real terms, as opposed to what's on the marketing blurb), assuming there is no outside interference.

Advertisement