Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding Cancelled For Two New WIT Buildings

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

invara wrote: »
    ehhh... no they did not. Trinity's 80m school of business opened last week, UCC bought another downtown site for a 2nd new business school (executive one is now open, this is an undergrad one).. but WIT's cancelled PPP is still firmly mothballed 8 years later (and one economic boom).

There were some measurements taken on the site to facilitate bidders for the PPP, but the site was still a bare patch of land with rusting temporary fencing.

To get this PPP away, WIT will have to give up the college st campus and so this new building will not facilitate any growth. It is the only capital project in the pipeline (so only building until 2025 by my reckoning)...

College Street is a ****hole anyway to be honest. I think the idea is to centralise the college on the Cork Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

College Street is a ****hole anyway to be honest. I think the idea is to centralise the college on the Cork Road.

If, and it is a dreamy wish, WIT had university funding, then College st would be a total jewel... look at how Maynooth, UCC, Trinity and NUIG use similar building stock to present (their broadly similar teaching) as magical. It is all down to budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If, and it is a dreamy wish, WIT had university funding, then College st would be a total jewel... look at how Maynooth, UCC, Trinity and NUIG use similar building stock to present (their broadly similar teaching) as magical. It is all down to budgets.

The missus works in WIT. I'm pretty sure she said they are abandoning College Street shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Of course it is. Elsewhere in the country it would be a real possibility and anyone associated with it a 'visionary'. Here is becomes an impossibility and anyone labelled a 'fantasist''.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

ehhh... no they did not. Trinity's 80m school of business opened last week, UCC bought another downtown site for a 2nd new business school (executive one is now open, this is an undergrad one).. but WIT's cancelled PPP is still firmly mothballed 8 years later (and one economic boom).

There were some measurements taken on the site to facilitate bidders for the PPP, but the site was still a bare patch of land with rusting temporary fencing.

To get this PPP away, WIT will have to give up the college st campus and so this new building will not facilitate any growth. It is the only capital project in the pipeline (so only building until 2025 by my reckoning)...

I was full sure it was more than measurements they were taking, it was ground testing for foundations I thought and heard.
    I also saw a few weeks ago the drawings for the building and these weren't drawn up by some student.
    But I may be all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

This is the Dept website:
    https://www.ndfa.ie/project/higher-education-ppp-programme
    updated 1 month ago, at pre-official journal stage.

College st cannot go until the staff and students are accommodated on the main campus and there is no place for them .....

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Wit are in College st for at least the next 3 to 5 years.

Advertisement