Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Youths Womens Team

Options
  • 10-11-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Playing Castlebar at home this Sunday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Best of luck to them, it's a great outlet for top women players in Wexford. Can anyone tell me why they chose to call themselves Wexford Youths Women's AFC instead of FC like the Club itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Amateur Football Club as opposed to Football Club. I guess that the Women are classed as amateurs while the men are seen as semi-professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

AFAIK, AFC originally stood for Association Football Club and was used in England to distinguish between Soccer and Rugby, where a town had both, but I suppose it can stand for whatever you like.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Amateur Football Club as opposed to Football Club. I guess that the Women are classed as amateurs while the men are seen as semi-professional.

The A stands for Association, as bmaxi says. Anyway, Wexford Youths FC are a totally amateur club, so it can't be that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

There is Association Football and Rugby Football they are the correct names to call the sports.

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    There is Association Football and Rugby Football they are the correct names to call the sports.
    My original question was to ask why the women chose AFC as opposed to FC, we're starting to drift away from the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Creat

Maybe they had to?

Either way they drew 2-2 in the end.
    First half didnt play well, gave a lot of possession away and made it hard for themselves.
    They let Castlebar have most of the ball and were defending for most of the first half.
    Passing wasnt crisp and a lot of Trappatoni ball was played (roughly translated Hoof it forward)
    Castlebar scored first then Youths got one back
    They started the second half better, didnt give Castlebar time to settle on the ball, was much better football, they stopped playing long balls all the time and it was far better.
    Castlebar got a second, but again the Youths came back and scored and they really looked like they could win it. They hit the post and near the end they got a penalty.
    They missed, it was an easy enough save for the keeper and they put the rebound wide.
    Not a bad start from the girls and when they stopped being ultra defensive and stopped the long ball they play some lovely football.

It was a good result in the end against a team that looked as if they had played together for a while. The missed peno was a great opportunity, as their keeper had been injured earlier and she didn't look as if she could have got to a well placed low shot.

Great to see a good crowd there to support them. Hopefully they can push on from this impressive start

Advertisement