Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government in UCC

• 10-11-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I am wondering what the intake is per year in Government and is there a good mix between male and female?

I realize that there will be big lecture groups as different courses join up for lecturers but is there still a class group that would get to know each other well?

Is it more difficult socially if you were doing politics through arts?

Thanks for your feedback...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I do it and the gender balance is even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I graduated from Government a few years ago. There was 55 in my year and it was fairly evenly split. For some classes you will mix with Commerce etc in the Booles. You will have lots of classes with just Government students. Some of the classes will be compulsory so you will get all Government students in the one room. Others will be optional subjects that you will take with Government students. One of my options in 4th year had about 5 people in it but we were all Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

From my experience you should be more worried about the quality of the lecturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Orizio wrote: »
    From my experience you should be more worried about the quality of the lecturers.

Are we talking about a certain head of the department?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

Thanks very much for your replies.

My son is deciding whether to do do Government or Politics/History. I am just trying to get more facts to help him.

Would be that the Government course is more 'meaty' with the Business/Economics modules and the work experience (if you can get the good positions)?

I presume the lecturer issue would apply to both courses.

I would really appreciate anything you can add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

epiphone wrote: »

My son is deciding whether to do do Government or Politics/History. I am just trying to get more facts to help him.

Would be that the Government course is more 'meaty' with the Business/Economics modules and the work experience (if you can get the good positions)?

Politics grad here. Gov course more meaty for politics & work experience and general support of department I gather, but if doing history is necessary then obviously you won't get that unless done through arts.

Can answer anything you want about politics course.

Orizio, what are your gripes? Maybe detail them instead of giving a generalised, negative comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

epiphone wrote: »

Gov has politics, management, marketing and economics, work placements are really wherever you want them to be, placements are offered in Cork, Europe and America.

Advertisement