Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ADSL Modem/router for gaming.

Options
  • 10-11-2011 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Any got any advice on a good router for gaming. i Have the standard Zyxel router from eircom, but it's is horrendous (Constantly dropping connection).

Thanks in Advance

Ekul1987

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

whats your budget and what devices would you have connected?

are you going to be wired or wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ekul1987

I have an xbox and a ps3 wired on it and about 10 thing wireless on it (Mostly apple stuff, iphones , ipad, apple tv, macbookpro)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ekul1987 wrote: »
    I have an xbox and a ps3 wired on it and about 10 thing wireless on it (Mostly apple stuff, iphones , ipad, apple tv, macbookpro)
    and is the PC wired or wireless? what NIC card do you have if its wireless. you havent mentioned a budget yet....

No PC, just MacBookPro, Budget about €100~,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

No PC, just MacBookPro, Budget about €100~,

Just to let you know zyxel have a firmware upgrade to solve the dropouts with apple equipment that most manufacturers are having. This my help your wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why exactly do gamers think that there are "better routers than their own" for gaming out there?

First question I would ask you is this?
    1. Are you connecting wirelessly to the router or wired?
    If it is the former you aren't getting the best connectivity from your device and your dropouts would almost definetly stop if you connected by a wired means.
    Save yourself a 100 euro. Learn a bit about this area.

kippy if you read above it is connected by a wired means. the problem is every time i go online on the xbox the dsl connection drops off and the router restarts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I will contribute thus:

Ethernet. Ethernet. Ethernet.

deceit wrote: »
    Just to let you know zyxel have a firmware upgrade to solve the dropouts with apple equipment that most manufacturers are having. This my help your wireless.

It's not the wireless is the problem, it's holding a dsl connection while playing, after about 20mins of play the router just drops the dsl connection and restarts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

deceit wrote: »

It's not the wireless is the problem, it's holding a dsl connection while playing, after about 20mins of play the router just drops the dsl connection and restarts
    The router itself restarts? Have you upgraded the fw or contacted eircom about the issue as this behaviour is not by design. What else shares your phone line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

We have had a few zyxels back with that issue, if its in warranty send it back and get it replaced. I just presumed with a glance when seeing the apple stuff it was the wireless issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

What are your line stats and what's your distance from the exchange?

181039.png

I am less than a km from the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

181039.png

I am less than a km from the exchange

I'm not an expert on this but, you might need to get eircom to lower your speed at little to get a more stable connection. Head over to the Broadband forum to see if those stats are OK. I think 5db is low for noise margin.

Advertisement