Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defeat of 30th (Abbeylara) amendment means no banking inquiry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

We were never going to get one; even if the 30th Amendment had passed, a banking enquiry would have likely been declared "not in the public interest".

Besides, would you give up your right to a fair trial and give FF, FG, SF Td's and Senators investigative powers, just on the off chance they'd sniff around the banks?

Those powers, had they been granted, would have only been used for scapegoating people and covering politicians and bankers' backsides. This is Ireland, remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

And here comes the scare mongering and attempt to bring the vote around again.And Irish will think oh we need the banking inquiry and vote yes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Since when are politicians the only people who can investigate bankers? If they have done anything against the law, a lawyer can press charges (and you can hire a lawyer to do just that). If they haven't broken the law, then they would have no place in an oireachtas inquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

TBH how long would it take? Look at the Anglo still nothing 3 years on. It would take forever and like all the tribunals means what in the end? Nothing. We all know what happened, good old corruption and greed. The lawyers were hoping for another feeding frenzy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Christ, I may as well respond to my own post since no one seems capable of interpreting it correctly...

Yes Duke, clearly this news demonstrates that the Dail is capable of having inquiries into any matter, under current legislation. They just can't have absolute power of proceedings, like they wanted to. So proponents of the amendment were either misled or lying when they stated that the Dail were powerless to launch inquiries.

Ok, back to your barely coherent ramblings, people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

Dude you're on internet time here. Noone read the articles before replying and realised you were being ultra sarcastic ;)

That's ok. Can we call them on this then? I mean noone (other than boards) has called them on the continuing line (McWilliams et al) that

"It was the ECBs low low interest rates that caused the boom and bust and so Fianna Fail were entirely blameless and we deserve thanks and praise and stuff as long as you don't spot that current ECB rates are 1.25% and AIB/NIB/BOI rates certainly are not"...*

And so on. We need a new Political Party picked from people who have a clue - boards politics moderators :D

* if you disagree, find another thread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Well Peter Sutherland got his way in the end. No enquiry (inquiry?) can be held now, it would be pointless with their lordships following the tipstaff while sepulchrally rubbing themselves through their silks at the thought of the fees their kids will make from the next tranche of tribunals.

Well Peter Sutherland got his way in the end. No enquiry (inquiry?) can be held now, it would be pointless with their lordships following the tipstaff while sepulchrally rubbing themselves through their silks at the thought of the fees their kids will make from the next tranche of tribunals.

No sum of money is worth handing away our rights for.

carveone wrote: »
    Dude you're on internet time here. Noone read the articles before replying and realised you were being ultra sarcastic ;)

That's ok. Can we call them on this then? I mean noone (other than boards) has called them on the continuing line (McWilliams et al) that

"It was the ECBs low low interest rates that caused the boom and bust and so Fianna Fail were entirely blameless and we deserve thanks and praise and stuff as long as you don't spot that current ECB rates are 1.25% and AIB/NIB/BOI rates certainly are not"...*

And so on. We need a new Political Party picked from people who have a clue - boards politics moderators :D

* if you disagree, find another thread!!!

Perhaps I expect too much of people in thinking they might read something before forming an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

sepulchrally rubbing themselves through their silks

I'm going to use that in a sentence today....

I'd rather the government spent less time with referenda and more time figuring out how to increase employment without stealing money from private pensions.

I see the top and middle managers in the public sector are earning well about EU average while the rank and file are earning less than average. Means if you complain about the public sector, people can point to one or another depending on which point they're trying to argue against...

But that's a bit off topic for this thread :o

• Advertisement

carveone wrote: »
    sepulchrally rubbing themselves through their silks

I'm going to use that in a sentence today....

I'd rather the government spent less time with referenda and more time figuring out how to increase employment without stealing money from private pensions.

I see the top and middle managers in the public sector are earning well about EU average while the rank and file are earning less than average. Means if you complain about the public sector, people can point to one or another depending on which point they're trying to argue against...

But that's a bit off topic for this thread :o

Don't worry, it seems like any topic goes in here.

How do people fancy Ireland's chances against Estonia?

Advertisement