Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250MB of internet - how far will it take me?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

A simple question which I know has a complicated answer...

I'm thinking of moving from PAYG to billpay, as I get an android phone of some sort. One plan includes 250MB of data (per month, I presume). I know there's huge variability in how much data is on a page, but could anybody give me an idea how far 250MB would go?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Obviously it depends on what you're using it for but, I've wifi at home and in work and only use my 250gb allowance for browsing Web, occasional internet radio and mapping, when i'm out if wifi. I don't download any apps or video files like YouTube stuff using data so I've never come close to going over the allowance. I do check meteor account just in case though. You can also get a data counter app and set a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its not alot, but it is do able. however to save yourself all the hastle (and it is just that) of monitoring continually usage then go straight for a 1gb plan. Its not worth scrimping on.

A heavy enough email user (and nothing else) would use about 200Mb per month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

See this thread, 200 minutes and texts and 1GB data for €15 a month on a monthly contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

Im on billpay meteor with a smartphone. I got a 250MB package couple of years ago. I refuse to move off of it even though everytime I upgrade they tell me ill "need one of the new 1GB package (for an extra 5 euro) as Im sure to use more than 250 MB on a smartphone". However Ive been monitoring my data usage using an app called 3G watchdog and ive never once gone over 250MB. Im constantly synced to my gmail however I dont watch videos on 3G (too slow anyway) unless I switch to wireless when Im at home.

you could always try 250MB and get more if you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Good advice everybody. Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

as listermint mentioned if you go for the bigger plan first and see your usage, i know that with 02 the internet is an add on and can be cancelled at any time so im presuming you could change the add on, if after a few months you are using 250 or 500mb you can select accordingly.
    every website is different to download, it depends on how the web author installed graphics, for best results they are supposed to downsize the photos making it faster for download but thats not always the case and then the amount of graphics on a page - i dont know much about these things but the plans are so competitive and quiet good value

Advertisement