Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish fingers, really !

Options
  • 10-11-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Had a sudden craving for 4 this evening.
    Comfort food.

Trouble is.. how best to cook them so that they are firm/ yet fleshy..
    as opposed to flaccid/soggy ?

Tonight I tried grilling (as my experience is that oven baking is hard to get them firm without them disintegrating).
    Shallow frying hasn't ever worked for me (although I think olive oil is a bad idea).

Anyone got a surefire way of doing them ?

Grilling them seemed to almost work but they were not ultra firm !

-ifc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Buy some toaster pockets (I got mine in Aldi for 2 or 3 euro for a pack of 2). They can be used up to 50 times and are dishwasher safe. You can use them for making toasted sambos very quickly and also they are a very handy way to cook fish fingers. Usually I set my toaster to it's highest setting and let it pop twice when making fish fingers in them and they turn out well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ooh this has given me a hankering for fish fingers. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Buy some toaster pockets (I got mine in Aldi for 2 or 3 euro for a pack of 2). They can be used up to 50 times and are dishwasher safe. You can use them for making toasted sambos very quickly and also they are a very handy way to cook fish fingers. Usually I set my toaster to it's highest setting and let it pop twice when making fish fingers in them and they turn out well :)

Now THAT'S an interesting idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I do them on a george foreman. I put them in between the grooves standing on their narrowest sides, the grooves hold them in place so they are heated from all sides nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thats how I do them also. Never fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i do them in an almost dry non-stick frying pan up really high.

fish fingers, bread, butter, red sauce = noms. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

OP, I blame you for me buying fish fingers this week! Got a hankering after reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

vibe666 wrote: »
    i do them in an almost dry non-stick frying pan up really high.

fish fingers, bread, butter, red sauce = noms. :D

Similar to how I do mine.

Hot pan, minimal Olive oil, cook for couple of mins each side, (they're still kinda frozen inside), take care not to burn, then leave in pan on low heat for further 3 mins each side.

They're delicious on toast with tartare sauce and lettuce on one side, and Nando's garlic peri peri sauce on other side. Nom Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

LOL
    i had 4 this evening with a salad and a good shot of chilli jam, very scrumptous
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

So having fish fingers tonight, damn you OP! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement