Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do with long hair.

• 10-11-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

For the first time in nearly a decade I have relatively long hair, it's reaches around about my bra strap at the back but is a little shorter around my face. I'm lucky in that my hair blowdries easily and has a curly kink to it and sits well. It's also quite thick so normally I either just dry it and leave it or I straighten it and wear it down. My hair doesn't really suit me when it's pulled back off my face so I like to wear it quite soft if I have it up. When it was shorter I wore it like this fairly often but now that it's longer it doesn't really work and ends up just looking really messy or doesn't hold up for long as clips just aren't strong enough. Right now I have heated rollers in but I only use these once a month.

Basically I'm bored with shuffling between straight and wavy and would like some simple day-to-day soft upstyles I can do for medium to long hair.

Any and all ideas are great appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use these pins for buns, very secure if you sort of "weave" it into your hair if you get me?

rH3oUq4ndHCbsn6MOvs9cz2qYsbM_M8VO6FSmzsIVjmxITSoym2ez5jMpr0ErywUG9rBEC8IbkLnlO_2vP132bmtDgE5_9vQKN_29ZO8RrpOcfHAisR4pkc1PGZsyEpwOoHpD5of5mPGLW7y2l-3qK76Yeu_9FmBc0pU596QO8ivnCIx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Sort of like how you'd put chopsticks in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yeah like down-up-down, rather than straight in... Does that make sense!? :o So say wrap the bun as you'd like it, then just go in to secure it around the bun. They come in a few sizes/thickness, go for the strongest ones.

Sometimes I do a plait and then wrap it into a bun, looks cute and soft as the short bits at the front don't get plaited in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've super thick hair that's long for the first time in years and at the moment my favorite things to do with it are side part it and put a really thick french plait around my hairline like this and then leave it loose at the back, plait it right the way around (pain in the arse, not done often!) or put a messy side bun in (it's different every time I do it)

382800-6026-51.jpg

or twist my hair back at either side like this & pin it & roll it at the back

spring_2009_hair5.jpg

or put in soft 1940s'ish rolls where you basically just twist a strand of hair around your thumb & pin it (i learned from this youtube video, not so much the barrel roll fringe cos that doesn't look good on me at all but the rolls that she puts in round the 1.15 mark) at the front of my hair and either pin the back up in rolls or leave it curly & down.

All the styles would take me about 10 minutes to put in and I can do them without a mirror, they're super easy once you play around with them a little. They even work if you roll out of bed so late you haven't had time to brush your hair and have to throw it up into something in a panic in work cos you look like Wurzel Gummidge (not that this happens to me....often)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Have you had a go of Victory Rolls, Fish tail braid or my favourite youtube tutorial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

^ I am totally gonna try what she has done in that vid, seems really simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Google 'The Beauty Department'- only just discovered it on Twitter but there's a few tutorials for hair (and makup) which I like cos I'm a bit of a dunce about how to do these things!

I like the fishtail braid mentioned above (there's a vid tutorial) but I havent mastered it yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I use a lot of slide, just take one strand small at a time roll it up in my finger and pin it at the back until all the bits are done and it looks like a nice casual low- up do.

I do this sometimes, can be nice doing little french braids at the sides or even just taking a strand from each side and pinning back you can create and hold up some volume using this.

http://mystylebell.com/2010/10/06/fun-hippy-chic-hair-style/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

There's a girl on YouTube atKristaBradford who has some tutorials on things to do with long hair. Her videos are short and to the point and none of her styles are overly complicated but they look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

kerash wrote: »
    Have you had a go of Victory Rolls, Fish tail braid or my favourite youtube tutorial

LOVE IT!

Definately trying that :)

• Advertisement

kerash wrote: »

that's unreal! :eek: i have to try that :D

this is great as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWs-XQgc-GE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hey gals

Any advice on what to do with hair that is just past the shoulders (about an inch or two)? My hair is fine and poker straight, I have a bit of a cowlick at the front and I would love to be able to wear it up/semi up where it has body to it but still looks soft.

Unfortunately, I am one of those useless women who wore their hair for years in a tight pony tail as that is the only thing I know how to do!

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement