Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford museum of Treasures

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

just looking at the website http://www.waterfordtreasures.com/ & was wondering if
    A. Has anybody been to the new museum in the Bishops Palace? what did ye make of it?
    &
    B. does anybody know anything about "choristors hall" ... where is it? and what will it contain?

& does anybody know what they are going to do with the Viking boat that is being built?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Has the WIT architecture dept moved into the Grannary building where the Waterford Treasures used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I went to have a look round the new museum but you have to do a tour and one had just left, and since I was on my lunch break I did not have time to wait, still intending to do it at at some stage.

Afaik the Viking boat is to go in the new museum behind the Theatre Royal.

Yes the architecture dept has moved into the Granary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I was in the café/restaurant of the Bishops Palace. Not cheap, but really nice food, with very nice surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

dayshah wrote: »
    I was in the café/restaurant of the Bishops Palace. Not cheap, but really nice food, with very nice surroundings.
    I've heard the same from a few people. The breakfast in there is meant to be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's my lunch on Monday sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Actually the top floor of the museum is open without a tour and its very interesting. It focuses on Waterford City from about the 1600s to the present day and has lots of memorabilia and photos.

It very interesting to see the showband section and particularly to see items like Brendan Bowyer's shoes from the Hucklebuck era. 20th century Waterford is done quite well with lots of curiosities on show. Its only when you go around that you think that this is a great start and it can only get better when it gets more space.

If you like local history you'll really enjoy it. I've been twice and will go again. It costs 3 euros to see the top floor museum and there is a very pleasant coffee shop on the ground floor.

Cheers Silverado.

where behind the Theatre Royal is the new museum going? Is there room there?

Hope something is done with Cathedral Sq too.

The present museum (which I was referring to) is in the old Bishops Palace and they are currently building Choristors Hall which will be a medieval museum and it is being located behind the Theatre Royal. I don't know what the finish date is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's interesting about the top floor, I wasn't given that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Choristors, will be open next summer. Builders are due to be out by end of May. The building is flying up. It will be a great addition to the city when finished

The city council now owns a lot of buildings in Catherdral square and they are included in the plans for the Viking Triangle

• Advertisement

Good to hear Jad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Silverado wrote: »
    The present museum (which I was referring to) is in the old Bishops Palace and they are currently building Choristors Hall which will be a medieval museum and it is being located behind the Theatre Royal. I don't know what the finish date is.
    jad2007 wrote: »
    Choristors, will be open next summer. Builders are due to be out by end of May. The building is flying up. It will be a great addition to the city when finished

The city council now owns a lot of buildings in Catherdral square and they are included in the plans for the Viking Triangle

The Choristor's Hall was actually built in the late 13th century. It makes up 1/2 of The Undercrofts along with the medieval Bishop's wine fault. These undercrofts are located under the current motor tax office and were open to the public the last 2 summers. The entrance is the old wooden door down the few steps adjacent to the motor tax office main entrance. As far as I know, the medieval museum is going to be built above The Undercrofts with access to them from the museum above.

It would be great if 33 The Mall could be turned into some kind of museum dedicated to the History of the Irish flag.

is that building still empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

comeraghs wrote: »
    It would be great if 33 The Mall could be turned into some kind of museum dedicated to the History of the Irish flag.

is that building still empty?

33 the mall is going to be a beauty salon and a cafe. I think havign the flag fly outside and the plaque on the wall with a plaque of TF Meagher is decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Max Powers wrote: »
    33 the mall is going to be a beauty salon and a cafe. I think havign the flag fly outside and the plaque on the wall with a plaque of TF Meagher is decent enough
    Any idea when the cafe and salon are opening? Nice to see something going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

just passed (past ?? which is it) down The Mall and you can see the stone cladding going up which matches the cream colour on city hall. You can also see the words 'medieval museum' chiseled into the stone and some sort of pattern/figure. Looks great

Should be a great addition to the Viking Triangle and the City Centre. This whole area, with a bit of support from the Waterford public, tourists and some investment could be a real cultural centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Apparently there's going to be one ticket for the new museum, Reginald's Tower and the Bishop's Palace, and there will be some sort of self-directed tour using audio guides.

Not sure whether there's any sort of tie-in with Waterford Crystal, but it would be great if there were. There used to be lots of discussion about whether the city should market its crystal side or its Viking side... well why not both, as they're doing now! Excellent job by all concerned, getting all those attraction into one place!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gone gardening

hi

im finishing up in college for the summer soon and reading your info was wondering if anyone has heard about summer jobs in these current and new to open tourist centres?

tnks:)

fricatus wrote: »
    Not sure whether there's any sort of tie-in with Waterford Crystal, but it would be great if there were. There used to be lots of discussion about whether the city should market its crystal side or its Viking side... well why not both, as they're doing now! Excellent job by all concerned, getting all those attraction into one place!

Agreed but the Viking side could easily be overlooked. The American interest in Vikings is HUGE. It is way bigger than than their interest in our Irish heritage so it is one of the most marketable items we have. Just think how many Americans can find Scandinavian roots - and that includes nearly all Northern Europeans.

We need to make a lot more of it than just a Reginald's Tower museum. This means we need to open up everything we have connecting to our traceable Viking heritage - especially the new finds at Woodstown. We should be pushing for a visitors centre on the Woodstown site if one can be located there somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Silverado wrote: »
    Agreed but the Viking side could easily be overlooked. The American interest in Vikings is HUGE. It is way bigger than than their interest in our Irish heritage so it is one of the most marketable items we have. Just think how many Americans can find Scandinavian roots - and that includes nearly all Northern Europeans.

We need to make a lot more of it than just a Reginald's Tower museum. This means we need to open up everything we have connecting to our traceable Viking heritage - especially the new finds at Woodstown. We should be pushing for a visitors centre on the Woodstown site if one can be located there somehow.

How interested are the Americans in Vikings? I worked with the Museum a few years ago and didn't see a bigger percentage of Americans than any other nationality. And the Americans that I did come across were no more knowledgeable or interested in Viking history than Irish/English in my estimation.

• Advertisement

Dan133269 wrote: »
    How interested are the Americans in Vikings? I worked with the Museum a few years ago and didn't see a bigger percentage of Americans than any other nationality. And the Americans that I did come across were no more knowledgeable or interested in Viking history than Irish/English in my estimation.

Ah, but now we are actively selling our Viking heritage via the Triangle etc. and as I understand it the Museum in Reginald's Tower will become much more defined as a Viking Museum when the Medieval Museum is opened at Cathedral Square and the Norman artefacts are moved up there. Its now up to us to push for that type of heritage tourist and maybe we will see more visitors from the US and Canada who are more interested in following the European trail of Viking culture than just an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

hi

im finishing up in college for the summer soon and reading your info was wondering if anyone has heard about summer jobs in these current and new to open tourist centres?

tnks:)

Dunno, but sure do up a basic CV listing all the qualifications and achievements that you can fit into two pages, emphasise anything that involved dealing with people, and then drop in to the Bishop's Palace, Reginald's Tower, Waterford Crystal and Discover Ireland down at the Granary. Be charming and show them you have a lot to offer!

Advertisement