Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London and Chicago 2012

• 10-11-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I need to get my mojo back.
    Fitness is gone to pott. Put on quiet a bit of weight since the national half. All deserved to be honest.
    Only went back running at the start of this week. Couple of seven milers and first speed session today 9 x 400s with 200m rec. The speed today was poor but the effort was there.
    Will start a 10 mile training plan for 10 weeks and then fall into a marathon plan straight away.
    Hope to run 2.46 in london and go lower for chicago. If you dont have targets you cant moved on.

What have i to do ??
    Nxt 6 weeks need to scrutinise my diet and get the rewards fro my hard training. I can see Roadrunner etc saying Here we go again.
    At least one good thing is that i gave up the cigarettes 9 days ago and feel good again.
    I paced dublin and smoked 30 the day before. I didnt enjoy a yard of it(of my own run). Was a chore to be honest due to extra weight and the fags.
    Plan is to get upto 80 miles a week upto xmas with a bit of strectching for a change.
    Will finally break 60 for a 10 miler nxt year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck with it. You doing the Dungarvan 10 on Jan 29th? see you there if you are. If your running London, who's gonna give me the powerade at 37k? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck with it. You doing the Dungarvan 10 on Jan 29th? see you there if you are. If your running London, who's gonna give me the powerade at 37k? :)

Just watching the 2011 london marathon. I must have 70 per cent of my sky plus box filled with new york, dublin and 2 londons.
    Yes will run dungarvan. For me its the best race of the yr. Either will race it or do 11 warm up and 10 at maratohn pace. Last year i did 8 and 10 and found it one of my best sessions of the marathon cycle. I dont tend to taper for races except marathons. Its either dungarvan or ballycotton to race.
    With luc sport been handed out you wont have any problems in london. Just dont have a target race in until the end of may.:D
    Stying in westminister for 3 nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Just watching the 2011 london marathon. I must have 70 per cent of my sky plus box filled with new york, dublin and 2 londons.
    Yes will run dungarvan. For me its the best race of the yr. Either will race it or do 11 warm up and 10 at maratohn pace. Last year i did 8 and 10 and found it one of my best sessions of the marathon cycle. I dont tend to taper for races except marathons. Its either dungarvan or ballycotton to race.
    With luc sport been handed out you wont have any problems in london. Just dont have a target race in until the end of may.:D
    Stying in westminister for 3 nights.

Westminster for 3 nights :eek:, christ are you made of money. Handy for the finish alright. Should be a group of us from here in a local pub not too long after the finish :p

Nothing planned for early May yet but there's still time, eye off the ball and all that ;)

We could have a joint lash at sub 60 in Dungarvan if you decide to race it (better lose the belly first :D)

Friday
    8 miles @ 7.25 pace that was tough enough after the previous days session.
    Later that day i did a very easy easy geared 50 min spinning bike to get hte lactic out of the legs.

Sat
    Was going to run but a late nite of crisps and chocolate said the safe option would be to crosstrain.
    2hrs 10 min cross trainer(L16)

Sunday
    10 miler @ 7.23 pace followed by 40 min on the cross trainer(L20)
    Top level is 25 so xtrainer was tough. This am session involved two tops.

Winter I kind of enjoy as I have an excuse ot run on the threadmill.

Decided to run hte marathon nxt sunday in Sixmilebridge. No taper this week and if anything I will be starting sunday heavylegged.
    Its all about London so building a strong base an getting 2 weeks ahead in case of sickness/injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Ambitious targets alright, I like it! Am toying with the idea of a spring marathon myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck with the targets. All going well, how much lower do you think you can go in Chicago?

Killerz wrote: »
    Best of luck with the targets. All going well, how much lower do you think you can go in Chicago?
    How long is a piece of string ???
    I have broke 3 hours 3 times 2.59,2.54,2.52 all with negative splits so i am one stubborn man when it comes to 20 miles in the marathon.
    Bottom line is ask me nxt april after London. I aint even thinking of london at the moment. Just get some hard training in until xmas. Stay of the fags and get the weight down.
    I have never been at my race weight and probaly was a stone overweight running 2.52. So opportunity is there. Its how much i want it ?? I can run 20 miles at 5.30am yet put a cake in front of me and I fail most of the time. I wouldnt break 30 min for 5 at this minute. By xmas i will be a stone lighter and i will kick on then. Hence why i started the log. I love getting shot at.
    I love lads honesty. I am not one to clap a lad on the back if i think he could do better. I am hard on myself but it really motivates me.
    London is a great course and bottles of lucozade sport and bottles of water and gels is worth alot to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play to you. Indeed resisting temptations will be half the challenge, but there's the targets there in London and Chicago to aim at, so that will keep the motivation up no doubt over the winter period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck , Your the ricky hatton of boards :). Have about the same amount of weight to shift before london as yourself so best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Best of luck , Your the ricky hatton of boards :).
    was thinking the exact same thing myself. Will be back with dogs abuse in the coming week. Need to prioritise and make a list before I start my now annual rant ;)

• Advertisement

was thinking the exact same thing myself. Will be back with dogs abuse in the coming week. Need to prioritise and make a list before I start my now annual rant ;)

Bring it on. Thats why i started my log. I rem one comment you made in particular when i listed what i had eaten you came back with "do you hate yourself"

I think its a cop out
    After every marathon i ran i always regret my last 3 weeks diet. I eat badly so its an excuse if i dont run well. Its all in the head. I have put my target back 3-4 min on occasions which is not good enough. Next april will be different. I am only focussing on upto xmas. Then dungarvan 10 then mallow. Short term goals.
    But please come back with the list. It might give me hte kick i need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Bring it on. Thats why i started my log. I rem one comment you made in particular when i listed what i had eaten you came back with "do you hate yourself"

Jesus the Samaritans won't be knocking on my door looking for me to work the phone lines this Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great stuff VR, good to have you back. 30 cigarettes the day before the marathon..........proper old school training that. Did you play ball? I'd say you were one of those lads that had a smoke at half time.

I was always a sub. Never smoked in school. Some lads smoked in school. I smoked in college to be cool. In fairness i paced dublin so it wasnt bad.

Monday
    6.5 mile slow run with two mates. When two lads that didnt break 4 hours in dublin are sneering about carrying a few ibs its time to do something. Imagine a 103kg lad telling me what i should eat and what i shouldnt(for the nxt 5 min i pushed the pace)
    80 min on hte cross trainer. This is my winter machine to burn hte cals.
    My new machine is going to be the rower. I dont use it often enough.

Tuesday
    1 hour spinning

Wednesday
    80min cross trainer, 7 mile run @ 9 min mile with two mates.

Thursday
    Spinning class and 30 min on xtrainer.

Friday
    7 miles @ 7.40 pace

Saturday
    4 miles run 20 min core

Sunday
    Marathon in 3.26 in Sixmilebridge. Ate 3/4 of a banoffi pie after it. My wife kept saying you deserve it. I ate a few natures Valley bars going around and jaffas that dont agree with my gut. One of the best and most enjoyable marathons to date. Tipped along nice and slow. Enjoyed a veterans companyy that ran over 200 marathons. When i told him my pb he looked at me as if to say "a fat fcuk like you couldnt run that"
    Dungarvqn is my target so onwards and upwards.

Monday
    1 hour cross trainer
    Intolerance ot wheat left my stomach at a 10 today. Cramping all day. Why oh why do i put myself through it.
    Tuesday
    spinning and abs 1 hour
    Cardio workout 40 min

When i put it down in writing it then sinks in(maybe why i didnt do much typing in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

best of luck with the training log VR, i dont think you even know your true potential, you have great determination and natural strength when it comes to training and racing. dont let this log end in "could haves" and "should haves" you wont deserve to be any faster if your not disciplined enough with diet and fags....its the last step you need to make, you wont get to the level you want to get to if you dont, do you prefer sub 2:45 or purple snack bar/silkcut purple?
    there isnt room for both at that level!

PS: im only giving you a kick up the arse, dont go any faster on the track and try and kill me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

"a fat fcuk like you couldnt run that"
    Haha, that's class. I was looking at the results, and was wondering if that was you. Did you do it for a training run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sunday
    Marathon in 3.26 in Sixmilebridge. Ate 3/4 of a banoffi pie after it. My wife kept saying you deserve it. I ate a few natures Valley bars going around and jaffas that dont agree with my gut. One of the best and most enjoyable marathons to date. Tipped along nice and slow. Enjoyed a veterans companyy that ran over 200 marathons. When i told him my pb he looked at me as if to say "a fat fcuk like you couldnt run that"
    Dungarvqn is my target so onwards and upwards.

At the risk of offending others with logs, theres too much of the same old same old. But that could never be said for yours VR, always interesting, always entertaining. I never know what to expect.

Monday
    Intolerance ot wheat left my stomach at a 10 today. Cramping all day. Why oh why do i put myself through it.

One word VR: Chlorella.

This is the one I take

http://www.lifestream.co.nz/Products/Lifestream-Chlorella/default.aspx

Haha, that's class. I was looking at the results, and was wondering if that was you. Did you do it for a training run?

No i raced it.:D:D 7.40 pace feels like 7 min used to feel in september.
    A training run. I have started alot more flexibily as i need to become alot more flexible. Tried stretching my hamstring this morning in the gym. The instructor showed me how to straighten out my leg using the towel(hamstring). As he pushed it back the pain was so bad I had to tap the floor like a wrestler. After a week i can now touch the floor standing up. That is progress. I reckon with better flexibility when I am going well i will reap the benefits. Hard work until xmas and then kick on.
    Today
    15 min stretch 30 min xtrainer 15 min stretch warm down.
    pm 1 mile warm up 10 x 400m with 200m rec 1.5 mile warm down. Averaged 83 seconds a lap. Back in feb I was doing these as 78. Today effort was there so all not lost. The key to todays session was having two lads with me. would have stopped at 4 if i didnt have company.

yeah those 12m with 10@6:15mm are in the first two weeks in feb, il need help with them ones, if your up for it it would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

tunguska wrote: »
    At the risk of offending others with logs, theres too much of the same old same old. But that could never be said for yours VR, always interesting, always entertaining. I never know what to expect.

hahaha says the man whose log (albeit an interesting one) lasted all of a few entries. I reckon after that you have to set one up again Tunguska :) Show us how its done.

VR - hope the training goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No i raced it.:D:D 7.40 pace feels like 7 min used to feel in september.
    Even in your rotund state (we need pictures :)) I knew you didn't race it. Just wondering if it was part of a structured program, or you were running it in memory of Eddie. Seems like an unusual training run, unless you're hoping to burn off some calories 9in which case, the banoffi (tasty as it is) may have in some way compensated for all your hard work. :)

Even in your rotund state (we need pictures :)) I knew you didn't race it. Just wondering if it was part of a structured program, or you were running it in memory of Eddie. Seems like an unusual training run, unless you're hoping to burn off some calories 9in which case, the banoffi (tasty as it is) may have in some way compensated for all your hard work. :)
    You know me well gary. One thing i dont do is bullsh** and when I am a fat fcuk my clothes know all about it. I was going to get rid of all my old clothes last march. Glad I held onto a few.:D
    By xmas i will be back on song. Most people dog it over xmas. I tend to dog it over the other 51 weeks.
    Re sunday i jogged around. Logged another marathon and what a super marathon it was. Next year i will find out which race mick rice enters before i enter cos I will want ot win it. If it menas i have to make thomas Burfender cry so be it.:D

Today
    1 hour spinning class and ab work. I find the stretching as hard as any 20 miler. Now its not to eat any crap for the night:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

VR you will have to beat me first before u win one!!! (again)

Thursday
    Spinning class and core work 70 min

Friday
    1 hour core/abs
    40 min cross trainer

Sat
    hr cross trainer
    core work

Sunday
    12 miles @ 7.35 pace. Nice morning for a run.

Monday
    2 hrs 30 min on the cross trainer done over two sessions.

Lately i avent done much running.
    With spinning classes twice a week its hard to get it all in. Focus is on abs, stretching etc........I have been on hte go for a long time so an easy few months will do me no harm. The two spinning classes will get speed into my legs.
    I probaly need to change my plan around.

Need to go long sat easy 10-12 miles sunday or in time a 14 sat mostly at marathon pace and a 20 sunday. Last march i did this and it gave me great confidence.

Thursday
    Spinning class and core work 70 min

Friday
    1 hour core/abs
    40 min cross trainer

Sat
    hr cross trainer
    core work

Sunday
    12 miles @ 7.35 pace. Nice morning for a run.

Monday
    2 hrs 30 min on the cross trainer done over two sessions.

Lately i avent done much running.
    With spinning classes twice a week its hard to get it all in. Focus is on abs, stretching etc........I have been on hte go for a long time so an easy few months will do me no harm. The two spinning classes will get speed into my legs.
    I probaly need to change my plan around.

Need to go long sat easy 10-12 miles sunday or in time a 14 sat mostly at marathon pace and a 20 sunday. Last march i did this and it gave me great confidence.
    your not preparing your skeleton for 80 mile weeks by doing 12 miles in the last 5 days, i know im your apprentice :) but would recovery mileage(8:30) not be better than cross trainer?? just wondering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

your not preparing your skeleton for 80 mile weeks by doing 12 miles in the last 5 days, i know im your apprentice :) but would recovery mileage(8:30) not be better than cross trainer?? just wondering?

Best of luck with the log & goals VR.

I'm thinking weight loss is key here....you want to lose a lot of weight and that ain't easy, but weight maintenance is so I'd actually say the cross training is the most effective at this point - get the weight off by christmas and then to be honest you don't have to watch so much what you eat because it easier to burn what you ate today than what you ate in the last 51 weeks.

to lose a stone you need to burn 46000 calories - thats a lot in 4 or 5 weeks - talking about 1500 calories a day. Your legs/body can take the abuse of that on the bike or cross trainer much better than on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I still have that set of DM pacing gear to give you. It's a M, and is on the small side anyway, so no point posting it to a roly-poly. I'll hold onto it until end of Jan- if you can't fit it by then it starts dusting my furniture.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log & goals VR.

I'm thinking weight loss is key here....you want to lose a lot of weight and that ain't easy, but weight maintenance is so I'd actually say the cross training is the most effective at this point - get the weight off by christmas and then to be honest you don't have to watch so much what you eat because it easier to burn what you ate today than what you ate in the last 51 weeks.

to lose a stone you need to burn 46000 calories - thats a lot in 4 or 5 weeks - talking about 1500 calories a day. Your legs/body can take the abuse of that on the bike or cross trainer much better than on the road.
    I couldnt have answered barts question better myself. Its all about burning cals. And getting in mileage as well to a lesser degree. The cross trainer is my new best friend. I sweat alot on it so it does the trick.
    But its all about diet from here. I rem been 14st 4ib last dec 13th and 13st by ballycotton. I aint too worried because it will fall of me if i really want it too. Tonight I usually call over to a mate and eat choccie galore but I wont be going over. Instead maybe 60 min on hte cross trainer. Burn maybe 1000cals and not eat 700 cals so thats 1700 profit. It only it was so easy.
    Might have a go at the 4 miler in Clonmel stephens day.
    Bit of a problem with a blister on sole of my foot. As its burst I dont want ot run on it and cause an injury by running a different way.

This morning 5k easy run that I had ot stop with pain(blister) and 30 min xtrainer.
    Aim is 13st xmas day. Alot ot lose but first week will be a good one. Cant let bart to be getting too cocky.............:D:D

• Advertisement

I still have that set of DM pacing gear to give you. It's a M, and is on the small side anyway, so no point posting it to a roly-poly. I'll hold onto it until end of Jan- if you can't fit it by then it starts dusting my furniture.
    This i why i started a log.........Thanks.....:D
    Must beat Krusty AGAIN in ballycotton and also i owe Sosa a beating. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Bit of a problem with a blister on sole of my foot. As its burst I dont want ot run on it and cause an injury by running a different way.

Compeed are fanstastic for this - most chemists have them

Tuesday night
    1 hour xtrainer.
    Wed
    70 min xtrainer and core stretching.......
    Thurs
    8 miles easy that felt good to be running again.
    40 min of spinning and core
    45 min xtrainer.

Fri
    First day off in a while. Body was tired. Good bout of training lately.

Sat
    14 mile on the threadmill that resulted in a sore knee. Nervous of this one. With no fast runs and the day off yest I cant fault myself. Was able to put legs in a stretch that 3 weeks ago I would have have hit 70 per cent.
    Hope ot run 10 sunday but it will depend on on hte knee. Will cross train if I have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

v quite week?????????????

that old 305 that you said broke on you, are you sure it just doesnt need to be reset?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyAw-4GjUJA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Next year i will find out which race mick rice enters before i enter cos I will want ot win it. If it menas i have to make thomas Burfender cry so be it.:D

The things you find when reading old log entries! :rolleyes:
    I guess I should keep a close eye on this one then! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well sir, the missus has her relations coming to the house in a few days, and is glaring from me, to the dusty Chippendale, to a can of Pledge, to a pair of tight M shorts still in their packet. I reckon I can keep her on hold until Spring cleaning, but I need to know you're still on board...

Well sir, the missus has her relations coming to the house in a few days, and is glaring from me, to the dusty Chippendale, to a can of Pledge, to a pair of tight M shorts still in their packet. I reckon I can keep her on hold until Spring cleaning, but I need to know you're still on board...
    Out with an knee injury at the moment from te overuse of a certain cross trainer. Maybe the night of the do in dublin if night suits will get me a trial fit but at the moment the xl might be tight. Nothing worse than a knee injury to lose ones focus. Had a good few injury free years so its time to take a hit. #london might turn into a jogging marathon but to get around might be a problem if i have to go under the knife. If i need an op i can get it done immediatley. Even might get time of work.

Advertisement