Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

belgium blues and italy

• 10-11-2011 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question however, does anyone believe that with the mess of the euro and the state of Italy in particular is this going to have an adverse effect on blue weanlings being exported. as i said it may be stupid but cows are coming round and trying to get ahead a wee bit.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can't answer about the euro, maybe you could spread the risk a bit by putting some cows to a maternal sire to produce replacements. Was trying to do a bit of crystal ball gazing to try figure out what breed would be most in demand 4 yrs down the road. Sumtin that finishes easy off grass I was thinking, beef is going to be a luxury food if grain stays dear.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

looks bad ch aa or he if you want to spread risk and saftey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i have been thinking along these lines myself, but its the blues that i have on hands now that are the worry,hold or sell now and fast,cows going in calf now are not the problem as i see it ,the mess in europe and italy will have to be sorted for 2013 weanlings ,they will still need food as well and there will always be farmers over there with money to buy no diferent than here, for me the super blues will still be wanted and will be sent to the feed lots that the exporters know that they will get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Really, it's not just the blues and Italy factor, even though Italy is the main market for the blue.
    The real question is what will happen the Euro itself, and the beef market in general, if the Italy problem is not sorted.
    The question ask myself, is should I now sell the 18 weamlings I have in the shed, as they are going well, and stick the cheque in the bank?

Maybe, we wake up one morning to have Merkel and Sarkozy, tell us they have just decided on a two track euro, and Paddy, is in division two.

Now the money from the weanlings gets devalued in real terms by 40% overnight:mad:
    Would I have been better off keeping them:confused: ????

It's not an issue of blue vs lim or char, it's and issue of what a kg of each will be worth, in what currency?? That's the real question in my mind.

Now I am off to put the finishing touches to my bunker:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It looks like Italy and turkey are ready to go down the pan. But just think we are up sh*ts creek too economy wise and cattle prices were never as high, so I there doesn't appear to be a direct link.

And we're not so dependent on the italian market (Thank God) that it's going to effect Beef price here. Just my opinion. Reading Shirley busteed's reports in the journal, Limousine, simmental and charolais bulls were never as much in demand and commanding big money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Maybe, we wake up one morning to have Merkel and Sarkozy, tell us they have just decided on a two track euro, and Paddy, is in division two.

Now the money from the weanlings gets devalued in real terms by 40% overnight:mad:
    Would I have been better off keeping them:confused: ????

It's not an issue of blue vs lim or char, it's and issue of what a kg of each will be worth, in what currency?? That's the real question in my mind.

Would devalueing not be a good thing for us as farmers? Would it not help our exports? I know that our import costs like oil, fertilizer and grain would be higher, but the majority of farmers in this country are feeding cattle on grass.

If our Euro was devalued, we'd have more competitive prices against Euro1, the Dollar and GB£

Muckit wrote: »
    It looks like Italy and turkey? are ready to go down the pan. But just think we are up sh*ts creek too economy wise and cattle prices were never as high, so I there doesn't appear to be a direct link.

And we're not so dependent on the italian market (Thank God) that it's going to effect Beef price here. Just my opinion. Reading Shirley busteed's reports in the journal, Limousine, simmental and charolais bulls were never as much in demand and commanding big money.

Sure turkey isn't even in euro zone yet? Are you thinking about christmas already or what?

reilig wrote: »
    Would devalueing not be a good thing for us as farmers? Would it not help our exports? I know that our import costs like oil, fertilizer and grain would be higher, but the majority of farmers in this country are feeding cattle on grass.

If our Euro was devalued, we'd have more competitive prices against Euro1, the Dollar and GB£

Yeah devalueing would boost exports and it is what normally happens to help pull a country out of recession, but it will make our loan repayments harder as a country, lower interest rates would help too:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »
    Sure turkey isn't even in euro zone yet? Are you thinking about christmas already or what?

Your right, it's the Lira, or at least it was when I was over in kusadasi in 08 :cool: But we still export beef to them.

http://www.google.ie/url?q=http://archive.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2011/01/agreement-reached-for-irish-beef-exports-to-turkey/&sa=U&ei=Iku9TsvrKcHPhAfVqrzJBA&ved=0CBUQFjAB&sig2=KwZO95USIjsNN5G8nB9utA&usg=AFQjCNGDTTTS7wImpU38LfVOVnDu0Z_-3Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Yeah, in the long term, devaluation would help our exports.
    Remember however, if you have cash in the bank, when one fine morning you turn on the TV, and are told, there is effective midnight the previous night, two euros. Hard euro, where Germany, France, Austria, netherlands, and a few more reside. And a soft euro, for ourselves and the rest of the busted club, then you are snookered.
    Your cash in bank, will have devalued by 30% overnight.
    Now however, if you had 10 nice charlies, or limmies, outside in the shed, the would hopefully not devalued anywhere near as much.

So I am just thinking to myself, this week, with all this talk of a two tier euro, etc, I'd rather a few limmies, than a few grand in cash!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Assuming the EU doesn't break up completly then the SFP should continue to be paid in EUR which would put farmers at a relative advantage compared to others in the economy.

Advertisement