Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetal Assessment Unit

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Hi... so I'm looking for advice if anyone knows? I'm five and a half weeks pregnant, and I started spotting yesterday morning. I rang doctor and I have a scan in Fetal Assessment Unit Tuesday week: I'm out sick from work this week with strict instructions to relax and not worry too much. The spotting stopped in a few hours. I originally had an appt for this morning but they said I wasn't far enough along.

Anyway what I was just wondering what they actually do? Is it just like a regular scan or do they do more? Do they do other tests?

We are both worried sick at the moment: I just want my baby so much and the next week and a half are going to be torture. My doctor is being so careful: he's ringing twice a day, and keeps trying to reassure me that spotting and cramping can be normal, and try not to worry... far easier said than done though!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont have experience of this but a friend did, at her appointment at the EPU at 7 weeks, they did an internal ultra sound looking for the sac and took blood tests for hormone levels. Everything was fine and she's now 9 weeks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 lollisue

I had an appointment in the EPU. They did a normal abdominal scan and then a transvaginal one (internal) to try to see what was going on. They weren't able to tell me the cause of my problems, they could just tell me there was a heartbeat.

If you are really worried and want to get checked earlier, you can pay for a private scan. Some of the private scan places do them from 6 weeks. I had one in Mount carmel as they could see me the next day whereas i had to wait 10 days for the hospital appointment. It was around 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

I understand what you're going through! I had spotting around 6 weeks and had an early scan in the EPU at 7 weeks. The scan was internal and they checked for the heartbeat and sac which was all fine. I then had a follow up scan 3 or 4 weeks later to make sure everything was progressing fine.
    They are very helpful and reassuring there! Unfortunately nobody could tell me were the spotting came from (I kept having it intermittently until week 12) - apparently from the cervix being sensitive.
    Try and relax and not to worry to much (I know it's easier said than done)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Definately easier said than done not to worry! At least I have an idea what they'll do now, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

cyning wrote: »
    Definately easier said than done not to worry! At least I have an idea what they'll do now, thanks :)

Hope your ok - its awful :(
    It happened to me twice - one ended in miscarriage but one did not!!
    They did a transvaginal u/s and also did hcg blood test which they repeated after two days. They can tell a lot from the ultrasound, I really hope this works out well for you - try to stay positive and rest loads in the meanwhile, no one could blame you for being stressed and letting your self have a good cry. Take care Hun for all you know your precious baba is growing away! X

• Advertisement

I had one miscarraige this time two years ago, so thats making it twice as difficult to be positive... here's hoping though.... I still feel pregnant but that might just be pure hope. And it was only spotting for a few hours not like last time either. I just don't know.... Tues week won't come fast enough for me.

I had one miscarraige this time two years ago, so thats making it twice as difficult to be positive... here's hoping though.... I still feel pregnant but that might just be pure hope. And it was only spotting for a few hours not like last time either. I just don't know.... Tues week won't come fast enough for me.

Do try stay positive - I have a very good friend who spotted the whole way through her third pregnancy and had a baby boy who is now 4!! Was it red blood or brown blood? Sorry that's a gross qn but if it was brown its old and was even more than likely nothing to worry about - my friend had red blood on and off tho and so unfortunate there's no way of knowing so resting and stating positive for your own sake is all u can try and do, if you want to rant or let off steam please feel free, it's such a frustrating horrible and cruel waiting game, my thoughts are with ya, x

It was red... it lasted for a couple of hours and i've been okay since. It was quite light too. Just the stress of it: My doctor has told me to stay off work untill the scan on the 22nd. I have alot of cramping too, but I had that before the bleed. I am so bored though... I'd prefer to be in work and not dwelling on it of that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hugs, I was there a lot when I was pregnant with my son but he is over 19 months now and he has a baby sister too! Try and stay calm.

Currently hooked up to a drip in hospital feeling pretty crappy with dehydration from morning sickness... But they are going to scan me tomorrow so at least I'll know then :) figuring if I have morning sickness this bad I have to still be pregnant... Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Currently hooked up to a drip in hospital feeling pretty crappy with dehydration from morning sickness... But they are going to scan me tomorrow so at least I'll know then :) figuring if I have morning sickness this bad I have to still be pregnant... Fingers crossed

Hope your feeling better soon - I have everything crossed for ya for tomorrow!

dublinlady wrote: »

Hope your feeling better soon - I have everything crossed for ya for tomorrow!

Theres a baby in all right: I cried I was so happy :) so still feel like crap but it will so be worth it :) they're going to scan this time next week again to make sure everything is going as it should.. But I'm just so excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wahhhey!!

I had a feeling when you were still so sick, all those hormones just dont mix with an empty tummy. I was afraid to say anything though.

I hope you get a scan a week until 12 or weeks. Make sure you take the names of who treats you and so you can call them or their sectaries if you need more treatment in future.

Advertisement