Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For the attention of the Moderators

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

As we know Tipperary County is divided into two divisions "Ridings", South Tipperary the administrative capital of which is Clonmel. In the case of North Tipperary the administrative town is Nenagh. In fact most of South Tipperary is considered to be in the South East, the town of Carrick-on-Suir, in South Tipperay borders on counties Waterford and Kilkenny and is only 24 km. from Waterford city. May I suggest that you create two divisions for Tipperary .............North Tipperay to be placed in the Midwest and South Tipperary to be moved to the South East. With respectful thanks for your attention.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fairly sure a similar discussion was held and the answer was that it wouldn't be changed. Its an admin call, so ill move this over to Feedback!

Topic Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I dunno, is there consistently enough traffic divided between issues affecting the two regions seperately so that a single ticking-over-forum doesnt become two fora inhabited by tumbleweed with patches of posts dotted about?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've just done a quick analysis of 41 regional forums. Ranked by number of threads, Tipperary comes in at no. 26, and by posts at no. 22. Splitting the forum would dilute what is already a pretty quiet forum into two very quiet forums. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Surprisingly, the busiest regional forum is Galway City, which has 40,000 posts more than the second highest, Dublin City.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jaysus, next you'll be wanting your own passports like the corkonians.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Steve wrote: »
    Jaysus, next you'll be wanting your own passports like the corkonians.. :D

shhhh, with passports comes the ability to enforce border patrols *and* the benefit of outing those that manage to fake a civilised accent....*

*just kidding. I love corkonians...when they're in Cork and I'm not :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Without looking at any specific stats I would say splitting it would be bad as it'll mean less traffic to both forums, also it'll confuse many users.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Xenophile wrote: »
    May I suggest that you create two divisions for Tipperary .............North Tipperay to be placed in the Midwest and South Tipperary to be moved to the South East. With respectful thanks for your attention.
    Zaph wrote: »
    I've just done a quick analysis of 41 regional forums. Ranked by number of threads, Tipperary comes in at no. 26, and by posts at no. 22. Splitting the forum would dilute what is already a pretty quiet forum into two very quiet forums. This makes no sense whatsoever.
    Given the numbers provided by Zaph, a split today does not seem feasible. Then again, if the thread and post counts substantially increase over the next few months in both (hint, hint...), then we may want to reconsider this issue at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Zaph wrote: »
    Surprisingly, the busiest regional forum is Galway City, which has 40,000 posts more than the second highest, Dublin City.

Better sessions in Galway, makes for plenty of chat.

There have been umpteen requests to move Tipp to the South East section and they've all ended the same way; no need. If it's a matter of accurately depicting the location of the county, then mid-west does pretty much cover it. If its a matter of where to find it in the menus, well it's not like it's that hard.

Without a really pressing need for splitting/moving it, it seems like it shouldn't be.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Given the numbers provided by Zaph, a split today does not seem feasible. Then again, if the thread and post counts substantially increase over the next few months in both (hint, hint...), then we may want to reconsider this issue at that time.

Given the current posting pattern in the Tipperary forum, unless there's a tsunami that forces all inhabitants of coastal counties inland and they re-settle in Tipp, it's highly unlikely that this will ever be given any further consideration, and certainly not within the next few months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Midwest is the best. Ride the snake. To the lake. The ancient lake, baby...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why not leave the board un-split and un-moved, but add a hyperlick(!) in the South East menu? Similar to how there is a Student Accommodation link in the Edu menu that links to Third Level Accommodation under the Soc menu?

The term "riding" is no longer used officially. Both councils are considering merging into one council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

/Trolling
    What happened to the merger of the Kilkenny City/County and Waterford City/County forums, that's what I want to know. :pac:

For context...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Adyx wrote: »
    /Trolling
    What happened to the merger of the Kilkenny City/County and Waterford City/County forums, that's what I want to know. :pac:

For context...
    While were at it can we move Maynooth,Celbridge,Kilcock and Lixlip out of the Kildare forum and into the Dublin forum's:D.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Can we also move Kerry a little further away from Cork? :D

castie wrote: »
    Can we also move Kerry a little further away from Cork? :D

Oddly enough, the Kerry mods have requested that as well.

Advertisement