Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OH FOOOK! Steam has been hacked.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

wench wrote: »
    Is it a Dublin City giftcard? If so, its unrelated. The company that ran the scheme had a liquidator appointed on Monday, and all the cards have shown as invalid since then.

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/home_more_details/11-11-07/Appointment_of_Official_Liquidator_Zapa_Technology_Limited.aspx

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1022/1224306297226.html

wench, many thanks.

Ahh.. clucking bell. Yes, I used a good few over the last year or so.. I'm out €100, give or take a few euro. Spread across 2 cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

seyeM wrote: »
    Insert generic steam sucks comment here

GIVE US NEWS ON HL3 TO MAKE AMENDS GABE

Apparently the source code for Episode 3/HL3 was compromised so now Valve are going back to the drawing board. Expect at least another five year wait.

:p

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Mantel wrote: »
    You have yourself to blame.

Really? I thought hackers were to blame. Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Andy!! wrote: »
    Really? I thought hackers were to blame. Silly me.

I would've went down the "God bless you, Captain Hindsight! GOD BLESS YOUUUUUUU!" :pac:

How many users did Sony lose over their intrusion?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apparently the source code for Episode 3/HL3 was compromised so now Valve are going back to the drawing board. Expect at least another five year wait.

:p
    You know they were hacked before HL2 came out right? And they did lose the code for it in the wild. Turned into a lawsuit of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got notification of a funky transaction on my credit card statement this morning and had my card cancelled. It may or may not have been related to this but it's probably what it was. Keep an eye on your statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Only noticed the statement yesterday. It was very low key compared to Sony being hacked. I would have thought that they might have sent an e-mail out. I nearly didn't read the statement as I thought it was part of the Steam News window that pops up.

Well there's one good thing to come out of this. When the Steam Christmas sale starts, I won't be so tempted by all those cheap games that I will most likely never get around to playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Overheal wrote: »
    You know they were hacked before HL2 came out right? And they did lose the code for it in the wild. Turned into a lawsuit of course.

Yes, I was subtly referencing it... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seifer wrote: »
    Got notification of a funky transaction on my credit card statement this morning and had my card cancelled. It may or may not have been related to this but it's probably what it was. Keep an eye on your statements.

3v.......

Only people who left themselves open online will be hurt by this.

3v/mastercard online .....anonymous unuseable credit card.......

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    3v.......

Why would I use a 3v card when I have a credit card? :confused:

That's like saying not to use a credit card in a shop because it might get skimmed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

dreamers75 wrote: »
    3v.......

I don't think that funky transaction has anything to do with the recent Steam incident to be honest - as of today, there has been not one scamming incident associated with the Steam breach worldwide. The personal account details still remain incredibly secure, even though they were pulled from a Steam server.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

yeah had this 3 weeks ago. My steam account became inaccessible. i have to undergo the frustrating process of replacing my credit card and Paypal account. also told steam to reclaim my account but i have to spent time looking for and giving them receipts of game purchases as proof i am the original owner of my account - this took me a lot of time.

The fools who hacked my account used my card and paypal to buy all sorts of stuff. good thing i was able to check it online and informed the card company and paypal. even then it was a stressful time for me. no apologies from steam as usual, just denial 'no reported financial details was compromised'. bull**it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Just back from a week trip to find my credit card useless. My card was compromised and the bank stopped the transactions.

I do use plenty of online services so it doesnt necessarily mean steam was the cause but ive had the card for 2 years with no problems.
    Purchases included some online software service and a hotel stay in america.

Krieg wrote: »
    Just back from a week trip to find my credit card useless. My card was compromised and the bank stopped the transactions.

I do use plenty of online services so it doesnt necessarily mean steam was the cause but ive had the card for 2 years with no problems.
    Purchases included some online software service and a hotel stay in america.

The transaction that caused the bank to notify me was also an attempt to book a hotel in the US so that pretty much confirms for me that it was this. Oh Valve :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That is some pretty weak evidence.

That is some pretty weak evidence.
    Two independent people who did nothing new with their cards in the recent past both have their cards compromised with the same kinds of transactions after a common service they used is hacked and admits credit data was taken.
    Yeah, that's pretty weak :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Seifer wrote: »
    Two independent people who did nothing new with their cards in the recent past both have their cards compromised with the same kinds of transactions after a common service they used is hacked and admits credit data was taken.
    Yeah, that's pretty weak :rolleyes:

Yeah, it is.
    But I guess if you want to take two peoples misfortune as proof positive knock yourself out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've also had an attempted charge on my a/c for a deposit on a US hotel. This card is only linked to my Steam account and nothing else online, so make of that what you will...

EDIT: Attempted charge was the early hours of this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Are these all recent fraud attempts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seems that way. My card linked is actually a Mastercard prepay card and I seen this dodgy transaction attempt on my history. I rang up Payzone support to get an answer and they said it was a blocked attempt at 'abnormal transaction'.

I was 3 cents short of the actual charge but still, it worries me. I've contacted Steam support to investigate my account details and if there really IS any signs of a breach outside of the forum database (I had a different username and password to my Steam account)

Are these all recent fraud attempts?
    Mine occured on the 21st of November.
    Enderman wrote: »
    Seems that way. My card linked is actually a Mastercard prepay card and I seen this dodgy transaction attempt on my history. I rang up Payzone support to get an answer and they said it was a blocked attempt at 'abnormal transaction'.

I was 3 cents short of the actual charge but still, it worries me. I've contacted Steam support to investigate my account details and if there really IS any signs of a breach outside of the forum database (I had a different username and password to my Steam account)
    Gabe wrote:
    This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.
    They have admitted the credit card details were taken. Seems the hackers have broken the encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Same thing happened to me last week – charge was put through my card from the US. But I got a call from my bank and I cancelled it. I've only used that card in three places – Amazon, Paypal & Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Mine occured on the 28th november
    2 transactions for software $90 & $120, the company was called something like free2pay or something and 100+ for the hotel

Advertisement