Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council work at South beach walk

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Couldn't figure out why the council have been steadily removing the grass verge along what is sometimes known as the Millenium Walk above the south beach. Seems a bad decision to remove grass in favour of tarmac considering we've so much concrete at the new Harbour already. However, I'm told that's it's planned to mark a new cycle way along there, which I don't have a problem with.

What I would be annoyed about though, is if they remove the play areas with the ground paintings created by the children taking part in Greystones Summer Project over many years. They represent hours of fun painting and the kids are rightly proud of their achievements each summer. One section has just be repainted this summer and every day mums with young children in buggies can be seen there encouraging toddlers to pay hopscotch etc.

Hopefully this won't be another thoughtless botch up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Know what you mean - while the shelters that were there really became terrible eyesores as well as offensive to the nose due to the behaviour of a minority I do still miss them.

There was nothing like sitting in one of those on a stormy rainy day staring out at the huge waves.

Ah someday we might see something similar - a lot of thought had clearly gone into their creation - shame a few drunks/skangers/hooligans made it so that the council had not choice but to pull them down.

Those little path drawings I think are really cute - as much as I enjoy cycling I would hate to see these areas removed as well - although if you are correct and this is a new cycle path then it is very possible that they too will be removed like the lifeguards hut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The Tarmac job so far is woeful and already breaking up. And as for the new lifeguard shelter...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The Tarmac job so far is woeful and already breaking up. And as for the new lifeguard shelter...

Like me you think the ground beneath is unstable and looks likely to subside onto the beach? It really will be a beach hut then... Maybe once it is all finished - hoping that the new lifeguard hut is just a temporary measure until the work is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

To my mind it looks like a clandestine way of saving money. No more grass cutting, Less upkeep etc. A pity to see more tarmac taking over. In a country that is so strapped for cash, it is amazing to see the work that is going on -completely unneccessary at the present time. There are far more deserving cases around the town that require attention.
    I foreast that, come January we'll be told that there is no funding available for a essential remedial works, Financial year runs from Jan to Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

vinpaul wrote: »
    To my mind it looks like a clandestine way of saving money. No more grass cutting, Less upkeep etc...

When I saw it, I thought of the exact same thing but there are plenty of grass verges on the opposite side so some cutting still needs doing (possibly half the amount resulting in half the cost :rolleyes:)

And by building only half ramps on Bellevue Road, the council have managed to spare some tarmac for the south beach.:D I'll be sending a bill to the council for tracking on the car after a while - those ramps are awful.

I have to say, the quality of workmanship of the beach pavement is shocking - has this work been sub-contracted out or is it the council who are making a dire mess of it?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Based on past experience I think it would be rash to assume there is any logic behind it!!
    As for quality of workmanship I think thats fairly standard.
    It is incredible that this sort of stuff is going ahead when the nation's finances are is such a mess.

Guys, stated this before but there is a simple reason why works such as these are being done now.... budget

Wicklow and all councils received a budget based on their previous years expenditure + a bit more. If they do not spend the budget for a year they get less the next year, hence the rush of work in the last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Guys, stated this before but there is a simple reason why works such as these are being done now.... budget

Wicklow and all councils received a budget based on their previous years expenditure + a bit more. If they do not spend the budget for a year they get less the next year, hence the rush of work in the last quarter.

If this is the case then why don't they actually spend more of the budget on it and do a decent job?

They may have used the last money to do it and accounted for it as thoroughfare maintenance.

Advertisement