Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepherds Pie

Options

Comments

It wasnt worth the drive to Dublin.Neck like a jockey's £$%%$££......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

It wasnt worth the drive to Dublin.Neck like a jockey's £$%%$££......
    he might give this guy a job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

He was on Rte news a couple of nights ago moaning about how tough his life was but then went on about how he got out of trouble by selling some of his property empire and how lucky he was that his book was successful and how his remaining 3 or 4 businesses were doing well. He was shown smiling and laughing in his boutique and barbers. I swear that spoiled little rich kid is starting to remind me more and more of Seanie Fitz or Sean Quinn complaining about how tough it is making ends meet on just a million a year. Next thing he will be advising unemployed people that the best way to budget for next Christmas is to sell one of their less used holiday homes early in the year and make sure to ringfence that money for Christmas and be disciplined not to go beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

touts wrote: »
    He was on Rte news a couple of nights ago moaning about how tough his life was but then went on about how he got out of trouble by selling some of his property empire and how lucky he was that his book was successful and how his remaining 3 or 4 businesses were doing well. He was shown smiling and laughing in his boutique and barbers. I swear that spoiled little rich kid is starting to remind me more and more of Seanie Fitz or Sean Quinn complaining about how tough it is making ends meet on just a million a year. Next thing he will be advising unemployed people that the best way to budget for next Christmas is to sell one of their less used holiday homes early in the year and make sure to ringfence that money for Christmas and be disciplined not to go beyond that.
    and you believe him? after all he siad that about his car business whennit was going down the pan. Won't be on boards again leaving due to scummy mods happy new year all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

He's milking it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

I have not read it but had a look in shop where there are plenty left despite his best seller claims. Would be thinking it was ghosted . Can't see him writing a book, how could someone who admits to being no good at school/spelling etc write a best seller first time? Unless he had a talent for writing previously which is not the case as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have a serious problem with this guy now complaining that the banks almost hounded him to a nervous breakdown etc given that when you bought a car from him (unless you were buying for cash) you were almost forced to take out a purchase agreement with the very same banks.
    Not much sympathy from George for the people who were saddled with massive payments.He was happy enough once the cars were being shifted.
    Also he is currently on a rant about how expensive it is to operate a business these days( and it is I know) but he has not reduced his prices in any of his businesses to encourage trade.

Vizzy wrote: »
    I have a serious problem with this guy now complaining that the banks almost hounded him to a nervous breakdown etc given that when you bought a car from him (unless you were buying for cash) you were almost forced to take out a purchase agreement with the very same banks.
    Not much sympathy from George for the people who were saddled with massive payments.He was happy enough once the cars were being shifted.
    Also he is currently on a rant about how expensive it is to operate a business these days( and it is I know) but he has not reduced his prices in any of his businesses to encourage trade.
    why not go public/contact a journalist, a real journailist not the sort writing about him son far who appear to believe all he says and " hes the great fella"
    And look at his forecourt. ar all the cars priced ? Should be by law

I don't know if they are priced or not but from where i come from many dealers seem to not know that law they should have a price

why not go public/contact a journalist, a real journailist not the sort writing about him son far who appear to believe all he says and " hes the great fella"
    And look at his forecourt. ar all the cars priced ? Should be by law

I don't know if they are priced or not but from where i come from many dealers seem to not know that law they should have a price

No point TBH,it would only be seen as sour grapes.
    The people of Clonmel know George well and what he is like.I'll console myself with that.:)

Vizzy wrote: »
    No point TBH,it would only be seen as sour grapes.
    wouldn't say that . Not many sweet grapes on this thread
    The people of Clonmel know George well and what he is like.I'll console myself with that.:)
    not much consolation. if you have a good story tell it. so far it seems a lot of sleepy 'journalists' who cannot or are afraid to asll him on inconsistencies. real journalists are few and far between

He has a thriving barber and boutique but was near driven to sucicide from his garage failures? Why not sell the boutique/barber he admits no education but can write a best seller. He admits burning post but wants people to trust him with a car.

I think he might be a bit psychotic given his statement he saw himself as a captain of industy in the good times

all I can say is LOL

• Advertisement

He has claimed that radio was his real calling,and when the pirate station in Clonmel closed,everyone was sacked,except him and two other's.Can anyone here confirm/deny that.I find it amazing the stuff he comes up with.

I have done some digging on this claim.When the pirate radio station closed down in 1988,due to new regulation's,there were five full time member's of staff who got their p45's.There were no sacking's,and he wasnt a full time member of staff anyway.I hope the details in the book are researched better than his memory of the radio claim.What he said about the closing down of C.B.C is total fantasty.....I wonder what else is?..He was interviewed very late in the day by the local station Tipp Fm.As was said in the interview,he had complained about the station some year's before,because of some caller they had on air,complaining about after sales provided by his company.I think the only reason Tipp Fm eventually talked to him ,was because,he had been on radio and television,all over the country,and they thought it would reflect badly on them.He got a run of the mill interview,no real hard question's,maybe they didnt want to open old wound's..who know's.An earlier poster spoke of real journalist's asking question's.Do we have that locally on radio? Do they go and look for the story,or just take it from whatever feed they are paying for? From what I heard on the radio,and from what I haven't read on the local paper,do we have any journalist's who are prepared to find and report what is not fantasty

Good for you on the digging of nthe CBC. send it to a paper you might get lucky
    .An earlier poster spoke of real journalist's asking question's.Do we have that locally on radio? Do they go and look for the story,or just take it from whatever feed they are paying for? From what I heard on the radio,and from what I haven't read on the local paper,do we have any journalist's who are prepared to find and report what is not fantasty
    They will not ask many hard questions on Tipp FM and the guy who interviewd him is a smug bastard who if anyone disagrees with him cuts them off as he did when someone rightly referred to him as a small fish journalist. He did not ask Mordaunt any hard questions and i have not seen in any report anyone calling him on the admission of burning letters. The local paper ar ethe same they seem to have forgotten he said that his business was sound when it was failing. the link is on this thread i think. That makes him a liar but no journalist asked him that. i have seen it said he claims his 'concept' of bringing cars from theb UK is new and only he does it

Tipp FM only publish the comments that agree withem. the y claim to be 'first for news' but had no news over xmas/new year except a feed from Dublin? and one of their journalists who sounded like she was reading the news off the internet, nothing local. they also claimed the assault in the town on new years eve/morning was a stabbing. they were wrong.

You will see elsewhere on this board,how "First" they are for news,when it include's a member of their staff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I think some people are being a little hard on the man.

I don't see what the relevance is of his background; I have respect for any man who can pull himself back from the wall and have the courage to persevere, as Mordaunt has done. The Lancet published a startling graph recently demonstrating a correlation between suicide rates and the recession in the E.U.

PIIS0140673611610799.gr1.lrg.jpg

In the Western EU, suicide was up over 7% in 2008, and increased again in 2009. I believe there are and have been a lot of men in George Mordaunt's position. If you're set to lose your home and your assets, frankly it doesn't matter whether you were a millionaire last week, or a pauper: you're still going to end up at rock bottom in a financial sense.

What about people who killed themselves who were never rich? Or because they did not have all he had? is their life worth less than that of a spoilt brat jumping on the suicide bandwagon when his greed broke him?

What about people who killed themselves who were never rich? Or because they did not have all he had? is their life worth less than that of a spoilt brat jumping on the suicide bandwagon when his greed broke him?
    Suicide "bandwagon"?

I didn't realise suicide was such so restricted. Don't be so ridiculous. Nobody said anybody's life was worth less than anybody else's: except perhaps some people on this thread.

later10 wrote: »
    Suicide "bandwagon"?

I didn't realise suicide was such so restricted. Don't be so ridiculous. Nobody said anybody's life was worth less than anybody else's: except perhaps some people on this thread.
    return the compliment.
    I didn't realise suicide was such so restricted
    smart arse comment of no meaning

You're spouting rubbish.

Explain what "suicide bandwagon" is supposed to mean.

later10 wrote: »
    You're spouting rubbish.
    you too
    Explain what "suicide bandwagon" is supposed to mean.
    do not have to explain anything to you. busy, no time for your nonsense.

I have done some digging on this claim.When the pirate radio station closed down in 1988,due to new regulation's,there were five full time member's of staff who got their p45's.There were no sacking's,and he wasnt a full time member of staff anyway.I hope the details in the book are researched better than his memory of the radio claim.What he said about the closing down of C.B.C is total fantasty.....I wonder what else is?..He was interviewed very late in the day by the local station Tipp Fm.As was said in the interview,he had complained about the station some year's before,because of some caller they had on air,complaining about after sales provided by his company.I think the only reason Tipp Fm eventually talked to him ,was because,he had been on radio and television,all over the country,and they thought it would reflect badly on them.He got a run of the mill interview,no real hard question's,maybe they didnt want to open old wound's..who know's.An earlier poster spoke of real journalist's asking question's.Do we have that locally on radio? Do they go and look for the story,or just take it from whatever feed they are paying for? From what I heard on the radio,and from what I haven't read on the local paper,do we have any journalist's who are prepared to find and report what is not fantasty
    Have you read all of the book?

• Advertisement

I didnt buy the book.What I have posted came from the Interview's he has given.I have asked some questions on another site,[where the birdys make noise.not sure if I can mention it]but I didnt get any answers.What I think is...if you are not nice to people when you are knee deep in the legal tender,why expect people be pleasant when you when you end up in trouble.You should alway's be nice to people on the way up,because you will meet those same people on the way down.

I didnt buy the book.What I have posted came from the Interview's he has given.I have asked some questions on another site,[where the birdys make noise.not sure if I can mention it]but I didnt get any answers.What I think is...if you are not nice to people when you are knee deep in the legal tender,why expect people be pleasant when you when you end up in trouble.You should alway's be nice to people on the way up,because you will meet those same people on the way down.
    what site is that?

It be the Twitter................

The man himself will be on Midweek on TV3 next week, to talk about his new business advisory clinic which opens soon..He will be running for election next:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

The man himself will be on Midweek on TV3 next week, to talk about his new business advisory clinic which opens soon..He will be running for election next:eek:

Business advisory clinic. Dear god they aren't going to let this guy give advice are they? What advice could he give to real business people? His father built the business over decades of hard work and he blew it with a few years of stupidity. He saved a portion of car business by selling other bits of daddy's business and property empire. Unless you're Sean Quinn Jr I wouldn't be going near this "business advisory clinic". I give it less time than his pet radio station before going bust. The only thing this guy proves is that the best way to make money is to write a book advising people how to make money.

Business advisory clinic. Dear god they aren't going to let this guy give advice are they? What advice could he give to real business people? His father built the business over decades of hard work and he blew it with a few years of stupidity. He saved a portion of car business by selling other bits of daddy's business and property empire. Unless you're Sean Quinn Jr I wouldn't be going near this "business advisory clinic". I give it less time than his pet radio station before going bust. The only thing this guy proves is that the best way to make money is to write a book advising people how to make money.

Confucious,he say - "man with broken business have neck like jockeys b****x"
    As a man from Clonmel I know would say "unrail,unrail".:D:D

The scary thing is all the press/media he gets is some seem to buy into it

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

This forum seems to be the only real criticism of this idiot.

Has anyone got the newstalk interview on 5th Jan 2012 with Ivan Yates after 9am, I think, where Ivan cut strips off him unlike the soft cosy interviews he has gotten of Tubs, Matt Cooper and TV3 soft focus programming (the home of Tallafornia for christ sake)? Seems to be gone from the podcast listing and George himself has erased all existence of this critique; can’t roll with the punches.

Suppose to be the only rattle that exposed this fraud; a “destitute man” in a palatial mansion, with a host of investment properties still under his control, driving a new Jaguar XF to all these media and speaking events the length of the country sprouting poor me the banks are all to blame.

George what part of the market economy and a free society with freedom of choice do you not understand?

By the way if all the property and share gambles worked out for him I would be the first to congratulate.

I like others have no interest in extra taxes and cuts to services to “bail out” these individuals who gambled and lost and now want the bet refunded. Get real George…

This forum seems to be the only real criticism of this idiot.

Has anyone got the newstalk interview on 5th Jan 2012 with Ivan Yates after 9am, I think, where Ivan cut strips off him unlike the soft cosy interviews he has gotten of Tubs, Matt Cooper and TV3 soft focus programming (the home of Tallafornia for christ sake)? Seems to be gone from the podcast listing and George himself has erased all existence of this critique; can’t roll with the punches.

Suppose to be the only rattle that exposed this fraud; a “destitute man” in a palatial mansion, with a host of investment properties still under his control, driving a new Jaguar XF to all these media and speaking events the length of the country sprouting poor me the banks are all to blame.

George what part of the market economy and a free society with freedom of choice do you not understand?

By the way if all the property and share gambles worked out for him I would be the first to congratulate.

I like others have no interest in extra taxes and cuts to services to “bail out” these individuals who gambled and lost and now want the bet refunded. Get real George…
    No would like to hear that if you find link it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I don't know where to start with you lot (well the majority of you anyway). "Spoiled little rich kid", "daddy's boy" etc etc. Let me give you a few facts about George and his family.

I know them all, personally, have done for years and years. Yes they were always wealthy, always had the sun holidays every summer when none of the rest of us could afford them, always had the latest gadgets before the rest of us did. So bloody what, let's stone them for it shall we??? :rolleyes: None of the children were spoiled, we all give our kids what we can and just because they had more money than the rest of us does not make them "spoiled little rich kids". As for George being "daddy's boy", that just goes to show how much you know about their relationship - he is anything but. They have had a difficult relationship over the years, if you stopped spouting and read his book or better still, if you knew either of them, you would see that.

You all sound like you totally begrudge the fact that he walked into his father's business. So you know absolutely no-one else in the country whose son or daughter work in the family business? George Mordaunt is the only one is he? Didn't think so!!

Let's call a spade a spade here, as I said, I know every single one of the Mordaunts. George would be my least favourite, he always came across as over-confident and arrogant and I never had a huge amount of time for him. But I'll tell you one thing, not one person can read that book and tell me George Mordaunt wasn't 100% honest in it about his flaws, his mistakes and ultimately his downfall. He didn't blame the banks completely, again, if you read his book you would see a chapter with 10 or so mistakes that he made in running his business and how these can be avoided for other business people. I did not consider his book to be in the slightest bit "poor me, pity me". He totally admitted that he took over a thriving business from his father and messed it up. What he blamed the banks about was their attitude when things went wrong, how they came down on him like a ton of bricks, despite the great relationship they had had in the past.

Yes he burned post during his first job as a postman. He was 17. You failed to mention the very next sentence in his book and I quote "What an a**hole" What more do you want the guy to say? He messed up. He admitted it.

The overriding theme in the majority of your posts seems to be money. George had it. George's family had it. So, what are you saying? Because of that, he wasn't entitled to feel dispair when it all went wrong? And by the way, he's not looking for sympathy from anyone. He has already gone through the dispair and the suicidal thoughts and only made all of this public when he had come out the other side of it with his solution on how to cope with it and deal with it. His book has been received extremely positively by struggling business people, as has his public speaking.

And the Jag isn't his - he said that in one of his newspaper articles.

Someone mentioned sour grapes. Ironic.

Advertisement