Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepherds Pie

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

I don't know where to start with you lot (well the majority of you anyway). "Spoiled little rich kid", "daddy's boy" etc etc. Let me give you a few facts about George and his family.

I know them all, personally, have done for years and years. Yes they were always wealthy, always had the sun holidays every summer when none of the rest of us could afford them, always had the latest gadgets before the rest of us did. So bloody what, let's stone them for it shall we??? :rolleyes: None of the children were spoiled, we all give our kids what we can and just because they had more money than the rest of us does not make them "spoiled little rich kids". As for George being "daddy's boy", that just goes to show how much you know about their relationship - he is anything but. They have had a difficult relationship over the years, if you stopped spouting and read his book or better still, if you knew either of them, you would see that.

You all sound like you totally begrudge the fact that he walked into his father's business. So you know absolutely no-one else in the country whose son or daughter work in the family business? George Mordaunt is the only one is he? Didn't think so!!

Let's call a spade a spade here, as I said, I know every single one of the Mordaunts. George would be my least favourite, he always came across as over-confident and arrogant and I never had a huge amount of time for him. But I'll tell you one thing, not one person can read that book and tell me George Mordaunt wasn't 100% honest in it about his flaws, his mistakes and ultimately his downfall. He didn't blame the banks completely, again, if you read his book you would see a chapter with 10 or so mistakes that he made in running his business and how these can be avoided for other business people. I did not consider his book to be in the slightest bit "poor me, pity me". He totally admitted that he took over a thriving business from his father and messed it up. What he blamed the banks about was their attitude when things went wrong, how they came down on him like a ton of bricks, despite the great relationship they had had in the past.

Yes he burned post during his first job as a postman. He was 17. You failed to mention the very next sentence in his book and I quote "What an a**hole" What more do you want the guy to say? He messed up. He admitted it.

The overriding theme in the majority of your posts seems to be money. George had it. George's family had it. So, what are you saying? Because of that, he wasn't entitled to feel dispair when it all went wrong? And by the way, he's not looking for sympathy from anyone. He has already gone through the dispair and the suicidal thoughts and only made all of this public when he had come out the other side of it with his solution on how to cope with it and deal with it. His book has been received extremely positively by struggling business people, as has his public speaking.

And the Jag isn't his - he said that in one of his newspaper articles.

Someone mentioned sour grapes. Ironic.
    that was not honest it was a lie
    Yes he burned post during his first job as a postman. He was 17. You failed to mention the very next sentence in his book and I quote "What an a**hole" What more do you want the guy to say? He messed up. He admitted it.
    who would trust a car dealer who admitted burning post?

What does want the jag for even if it is not his?

His book has been received extremely positively by struggling business people, as has his public speaking.
    Only because no journalist has the balls to give it a objective critique pampering him with soft interviews. Jst because others got into family businesses does not mean he is not a spoiled rich kid. He would have nothing if he did not have wealthy family as he could not study and did not want to work. His is not a position he worked for by any stretch of the imagination, silver spoons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Comfyknickers,I,like you knew/know the Mordaunts well( moreso George and his sister).
    I grew up with them.
    What you say about the foreign holidays and gadgets was very true but I woulndn't have said that they were spoiled as such.Their father kept a fairly tight rein on them.
    George was always a prat though,money or not.
    But he really got good at it when he started to work for his dad.He,down through the years,did to car owners exactly what the bank did to him and for that I have no sympathy for him.Difference between him and his father can be summed up in one word - integrity.
    As you know him,ask him one question,why was he driving a Merc when he was selling Nissans ?.You'll be surprised at the answer !!.
    He played with the big boys and got in over his head and now he is using this "poor little rich kid " to explain everything.Pure bull crap !!
    BTW I bet he wishes that he could burn a bit more of his post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Why is the new humbler, Renaissance man George driving an almost new Jag XF. What is wrong with a passat, mondeo or even a Volvo? An ordinary car, to common for George though…

Here is a supposed destitute man fighting the banks on all fronts, yet chooses to drive a Jag XF to his meetings with the banks, is actively seen in it and flaunts the car like a showboating san tropez oil sheik? As for the point that he does not "own it", most cars in the country are not "owned" by the user (usuall a car loan/ lease) so this argument is stupidity beyond belief. He has 24/7 use and pleasure of the vehicle.

Don't kid me that he has changed, real change is like what Ivan said declare bankruptcy liquidate all assets pay off creditors, and banks as much as possible and start again with NOTHING; Instead of this charade of being broke and hard up.

He still lives in a palatial mansion and has a spread of both commercial and domestic properties that he still owns and controls. This is all a game, only problem I have with it all I predict in about 10 years time he will be clear of all these difficulties and still be sitting on his pile of assets while us working individuals will be left with the high tax, low public service standard, bailout cost for individuals like George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I wonder how many book's were sold in Clonmel.What does he charge per 75 min session for his advice? What would he say to a postman who came to seek his advice,on how to motivate himself to do his job.I find it amazing that now he seem's to have all the answer's.He describes himself as a writer and marketeer.Maybe the Dáil is next...just watch...he will be the people's champion.Maybe if we ignore him,he might go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Why is the new humbler, Renaissance man George driving an almost new Jag XF. What is wrong with a passat, mondeo or even a Volvo? An ordinary car, to common for George though…

Here is a supposed destitute man fighting the banks on all fronts, yet chooses to drive a Jag XF to his meetings with the banks, is actively seen in it and flaunts the car like a showboating san tropez oil sheik? As for the point that he does not "own it", most cars in the country are not "owned" by the user (usuall a car loan/ lease) so this argument is stupidity beyond belief. He has 24/7 use and pleasure of the vehicle.

Don't kid me that he has changed, real change is like what Ivan said declare bankruptcy liquidate all assets pay off creditors, and banks as much as possible and start again with NOTHING; Instead of this charade of being broke and hard up.

He still lives in a palatial mansion and has a large spread of both commercial and domestic properties that he still owns and controls. This is all a game, only problem I have with it all I predict in about 10 years time he will be clear of all these difficulties and still be sitting on his pile of assets while us working individuals will be left with the high tax, low public service standard, bailout cost for individuals like George.
    while all the so called journalists turn a blind eye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I thought that poor lad could only afford a dvd and bottle of wine on a friday night because of his money problems.I opened one of he papers recently,to find him pictured at the Rose of Tralee ball.Calling him a chancer would be too kind.There are two types of poor.The ones down to their last million,and the ones that have absolutely nothing,Which heading would you put him under?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I bet that's gonna hurt his wallet...

A true test of the NEW George, if he pays the lady and apologies then on the road to redemption.

The next move from George is crucial to his new media image. All the talk will have to be backed up by actions now.

We shall see....

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

A true test of the NEW George, if he pays the lady and apologies then on the road to redemption.

The next move from George is crucial to his new media image. All the talk will have to be backed up by actions now.

We shall see....
    an apology would mean nothing. a man who would bully a pregnant woman/woman who lost a baby is not a man at all. Anyone who would do that is no good and i would not believe an apology from the likes of him
    new media image
    that is all it is

• Advertisement

No doubting its really disgusting behaviour and almost impossible to justify in any way.

It will be interesting to watch his response as this is a true test of the NEW humbler I now see the light George.

We will see if its all bluff and image very soon (as a lot of people suspect).

I am inclined to agree with your analysis, that its all a polished media front. We shall see....

No doubting its really disgusting behaviour and almost impossible to justify in any way.

It will be interesting to watch his response as this is a true test of the NEW humbler I now see the light George.

We will see if its all bluff and image very soon (as a lot of people suspect).

I am inclined to agree with your analysis, that its all a polished media front. We shall see....
    disgusting does not begin to describe it. a girl whose baby died?

wonder if that is why they lost Nissan. Barlo have it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bmar68

Someone pulled him up on this on twitter....he had tweeted some message of support for the recent pro-choice rallies....

@GMordaunt: @MargaretEWard @UnaMullally Yes we do even those on the other side of 40”
    Some neck... irishexaminer.com/ireland/car-de…
    7:14pm - 17 Nov 12

here's his response.....

@Sinsear grow up two sides to every story and don't be a fool by believing everything u read

Un ****ing believable.

bmar68 wrote: »
    Someone pulled him up on this on twitter....he had tweeted some message of support for the recent pro-choice rallies....

@GMordaunt: @MargaretEWard @UnaMullally Yes we do even those on the other side of 40”

here's his response.....

@Sinsear grow up two sides to every story and don't be a fool by believing everything u read

Un ****ing believable.
    his book refers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

bmar68 wrote: »

here's his response.....

Un ****ing believable.

If it was a random rumour in a paper or on the net you might say something. But this is a finding of fact by an independent tribunal who reviewed both sides, found against him and hit him with a massive penalty.

And to not even bother showing up, showing disrespect to the tribunal; then claiming on twitter that their are 2 sides to every story, he had his chance and the evidence is pretty damming.

Shameful behaviour.

Advertisement