Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing for History Essay

• 11-11-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi there, I must hand in an essay for tomorrow Friday. I am a second year student but have totally forgot how to do it the right way. I cant find any of last years essays so could someone please help me out. I have a fair idea of what way to do it but I dont want to be guessing either and only get it half right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 badhistory

Hi there, I must hand in an essay for tomorrow Friday. I am a second year student but have totally forgot how to do it the right way. I cant find any of last years essays so could someone please help me out. I have a fair idea of what way to do it but I dont want to be guessing either and only get it half right.

I think it's called the Harvard method but basically it's your quote in commas and then put it as a foot note which will number it. Then that should bring you to the foot note where you put in Author, Book name in italics, Page number, publisher, year it was published.

Best of luck with the essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

Ok thanks.Just one last thing. How and when do you use ibid. I remember last year I should have used it somewhere in the footnotes but I am not 100% sure when it applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 badhistory

Ok thanks.Just one last thing. How and when do you use ibid. I remember last year I should have used it somewhere in the footnotes but I am not 100% sure when it applies.

You use it in the foot notes if the source preceeding it in the footnote is the same.
    Such as.

Book1 pg.1
    Ibid pg.2 ( used book 1 again)
    Book 2 pg.1

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

badhistory wrote: »
    You use it in the foot notes if the source preceeding it in the footnote is the same.
    Such as.

Book1 pg.1
    Ibid pg.2 ( used book 1 again)
    Book 2 pg.1

Are you sure.I thought it was only of the book was the same and the page was the same aswell...Otherwise I thought it was:

Book1 p.1
    Book1 p.2
    Book1 p.3
    Ibid. (which is Book 1 p.3)

• Advertisement
Advertisement