Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a venue to hold a low budget arts event

Options
  • 11-11-2011 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

So, I am planning a film event beginning of next year. I would need a cheap space to hold a screening for about 50-100 people & be able to hold a party afterwards. I would think that with the housing crash there should be a lot of buildings vacant and I was thinking perhaps some of these might be suitable to use for a cultural event? As it would be non-profit, I wouldn't be able to pay much for it, only what I can gather from sponsors. It should be in Dublin centre ideally. Any ideas where to start looking, who to contact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

You could enquire at the Joinery in Stoneybatter. http://www.thejoinery.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Was looking for something similar recently - best list I found was here: http://thumped.com/arts-culture/alternative-spaces.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Her?

Thanks!
    Just one more question. Regards to selling alcohol - I am aware that many of these places do not have an alcohol licence. How does that work in Ireland - can a caterer hold a licence and therefore if I get that caterer to host the event, will it be legal to sell alcohol in the premises?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Block T is brilliant. Every event I've been to there has been BYOB, or free beer. Not sure what license they have so best to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

There's some kind of private small cinema in the laneway beside the Davenport Hotel off Merrion Square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Nolanger wrote: »
    There's some kind of private small cinema in the laneway beside the Davenport Hotel off Merrion Square.

It's a bit pricey to rent I've heard. Not sure but I think they'd be better off in the Complex in Smithfield. The Joinery is good but it's small so if you're hoping for decent crowds I'd head over to Smithfield.

As for selling drink afterwards - if you encourage it to be a BYOB then you get past all that licensing stuff don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Trythe IFI. I believe it's possible for clubs and such to book rooms for screenings.

Advertisement