Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a 2nd Router as wifi extender

• 11-11-2011 3:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey I've got 2 routers and have heard that I can set the 2nd one up as a wifi extender. Can someone explain how I do this.

My broadband is Vodafone but I'm using an Eircom router (I was having major problems connecting with the Vodafone one). I want to set my Vodafone router up as the wifi extender, I actually have 2 vodafone routers cos they sent me a second one due to the problems but it was still rubbish. Eircom one is a dream!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you can run an ethenet cable between the 2 of them then you should be okay. Just connect the cable from a LAN port on the Eircom router to a LAN port on the Vodafone router. Then disable DHCP server, NAT, firewall and anything else you can turn off on the Vodafone router. Also make sure that that the Vodafone router's own LAN IP is outside the DHCP IP range of the Eircom router and that it's IP not the same as the Eircom router (usually 192.168.1.254). You can have the Vodafone router's wireless SSID the same as the Eircom router's if you like but set the wireless channels on each router manually (e.g. channel 1 on the Eircom router and 6 on the Vodafone router) to reduce interference.

Now if you can't run an ethernet cable between the 2 then you're gonna have to buy something that can operate as a proper wireless repeater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bhickey wrote: »
    Also make sure that that the Vodafone router's own LAN IP is outside the DHCP IP range of the Eircom router and that it's IP not the same as the Eircom router (usually 192.168.1.254). .

Excuse my ignorance, but how do i do this?
    I have two wireless routers, the first is a Sapido RB 1632 with a 3 broadband dongle stuck into it. Then i run a RJ45 cable from that router to another router, a Netgear WGT T624.
    But when i go to get into the Netgear router to change the settings, its IP address is the very same as the Sapido 192.168.1.1,
    so i can't access the Netgear router as it keeps bringing up the sapido options :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭djman

Connect ur pc directly to your 2nd router and turn off the 1st one. I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Yes, turn off your main router. Connect directly to your second one using ethernet cable. Do all your setup on the second one. Disconnect second one and switch on your first one.

bhickeys instructions are spot on.

Advertisement