Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skyrim, ugly shadows

• 11-11-2011 4:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Got skyrim tonight for ps3 and while I don't think the game looks much better then oblivion one thing that's worst is the shadows they are absolutely hideous. Every few seconds the shadows update there movements and its a horrible sight to behold. Everything seems to jitter and looks awful. Hope they sort this because isn't distracting and very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Is there an option to turn the shadows off??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

hypermuse wrote: »
    Is there an option to turn the shadows off??
    On consoles no I wouldn't think so. Like is seems the shadow maps that are cast in game are really low resolution which doesn't look great. The effect wouldnt be half as bad if the movements of the shadow wasn't so big. Like they move quite a bit every few seconds. Even if they made the intervals between shadow movements less then it would be far less noticeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Haven't noticed it myself on the PC after an hour or so of play. Wasn't really looking out for it though

I wasn't looking out for it but I talked to a guy who was cast in shadow and I noticed it very clearly. In dungeons its not too bad because of the lighting baked into the textures. I'm Just ignoring it now and enjoying the game

The more I play the game the more I feel let down. I mean the gap between oblivion and skyrim has been a good few years yet the game is pretty much identical. Graphics are so similar it just feels like I'm playing oblivion. I'm not feeling too happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Octavarium

I absolutely agree.

Such a big gap between the games, I was expecting the same 'wow' factor that I got with Oblivion but Skyrim just isn't delivering.

And those bloody glitchy shadows...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Looks fine.. I think your just nitpicking for things to give out about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are already shader mods out on Nexus, and ini configs you can do to improve the lighting.

A lot of it though is DX9 limitation. Console Pandering meant the game is not rendered in DX11 which as I'm sure you know a much more powerful library set most especially in the area of lighting and high resolution shadows.

If - and likely when - they release a mod to support DX11 rendering it will be a joyous occasion.

Advertisement