Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landed with 4 extra dogs - need to vent

• 11-11-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I am just so fed up today.

My hubbie and I live in a small 2 roomed cottage in the country about 1/4 mile from his sister. We have 3 cats, a dog and 8 horses. So things are quite cramped already. But then, after my sister-in-law who is 30 years his senior, split from her ex and has moved to the UK to start afresh.

Good for her, I hear you say! But she did not take her 4 dogs into consideration when she did this and basically just asked my husband to drop in a bag of dog nuts into the garden once a week. :confused: Yeah right! Like these dogs dont need human company! Some of them are quite old so will need to see the vet soon. Also it is quite a blustery place. She had not really been looking after her dogs and one had become so matted that my husband had no choice but to take the clippers to him last week. Now he is freezing so has to sleep in at night with us. Also, she has a little terrior so feeling sorry for her we took her in as well when the weather turned bad. That is 3 cats and 3 dogs in a small 2 roomed house.

I work in Dublin during the week so most night stay over in my mothers house. My husband is unemployed so he does all the zoo keeping. I got the day off today so came home last night. When I walked in, I was greeted with an ALMIGHTY stench. The big dog had peed all over my kitchen floor! He is not even house trained!!!! I am at my wits end!!!!! This morning, I was lying in bed and I heard him sniffing about ready to have another go so I fired him out into the garden. After breakfast, I went out to feed the horses and just outside the kitchen door stood in a MOUND of dog poo!

It is driving me crazy and I am only home for 3-4 nights a week. My poor husband! I am starting to dread coming home at the weekends. This has been going on for 3 months. I just think the sister in law is really inconsiderate for both my husband and her pets. When you get a pet, its your job to do your best for them. You don't just abandon them in the garden when you decide to move to another country!

Vent over, sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look at this as an opportunity for the 4 dogs. Your sister-in-law clearly had no idea how to take care of these dogs and they have now been rescued from a negligent home and have an opportunity to be given to a proper home.

Maybe start looking at ways to rehome the dogs. A local rescue or charity will usually assist you in finding homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Bloody hell!! That definitely trumps my story of the neighbours going on holiday for a week and asking my sis in law & ma in law to drop over and feed their dog once a day, I thought that was pretty shameful behaviour but your sis in law has brought it to a whole new level!!

Look, you can't carry on like this, you did the right thing bringing the dogs in but you need to actively look at rehoming them with the help of your local ISPCA/shelter etc and also there's a rehoming section on here.

I really do sympathise, I can't imagine how annoyed you are, personally I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue with my sis in law, but that's just me, hot-headed!! Please seriously look at getting them rehomed, you can only do so much and it sounds like they're already better off out of your sis in law's care!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Ugh, I know - and like I said I am just venting. She has 3 grown up kids. All living in Dublin. None of them have even offered to do anything for the dogs. They conveniently forgot about their existance. I know, my husband is a star for taking care of them. I can't bring up the rehoming thing as he will feel that he is betraying his sister and her kids. He would rather keep taking care of them as they are old. I just don't think he sees how its starting to affect our relationship. I have noticed that he is constantly stressed and the poor guy was worried that I was coming home a night early because he hadn't had a chance to clean up after the dogs. I hadn't realised how much work he does in cleaning up the house and the yard before I come home so that I wont see the devistation. I am not an evil nag - really :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Can you get a shed for the dogs? and insulate it?
    Maybe look at the free ad sites for someone getting rid of one.
    Maybe set up a pen in the garden, if you have an old fleece blanket (or buy a very cheap one) cut it up to make a jumper for the dog that was shaved.
    Thats an awful situation to be in, your sis-in-law should be ashamed of herself.
    I understand if they are old and you hubby wants to do the best for them, but I would let her know they are her dogs and she should pay any vet bills.

And you're right you aren't evil nag, just exhausted and stressed, vent away!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Ah, all very clever ideas. I think that a weekends worth of effort could result in them having a nice outdoor home in our garden. Hard labour for one weekend = months of marital bliss to follow :p - probably worth the initial effort. Will start looking online to see what I can gather.

I remember seeing this documentary on this one foster kid who lived with one family that fed their own children Rice Krispies for breakfast but the foster kids got the generic brand. I don't know why this stuck with me, I saw it years ago. :rolleyes: I really hope that the dogs don't think there is a 2-tier system in our home. My dog is allowed inside and her dogs have to sleep outside. I already feel like Cruella De Vil without doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+ 1 on n creating a nice, warm shed area for them to live. A decent shed, insulated, and a run (or something to keep them from escaping) will have an initial cost of a few hundred euro but will last for ages and the dogs will think they are in heaven (compared to how they used to live!). It'll also created one area that will need to be cleaned daily, as opposed to running around like a headless chicken trying to clean up after them in the house (I'm thinking of your husband here!). If/when the weather gets colder you could have them in the house at night, or a few days if it's super cold and snowy, and make sure the shed is warm, dry and comfortable for them during the day.

Heating pads will help keep them cosy, as will jumpers and blankets (you can make the jumpers really cheaply and fleece blankets are super cheap in Heatons, Dunnes, Pennies etc.) along with some warm bedding. As you said, the initial cost may feel a bit steep but it'll be well worth it in the long run! The dogs won't think there is a "two tier" system - they will be doing much better than they were in their old home and be well looked after, and you will be doing the best you can for them and yourself. If they are used to being outdoor dogs that weren't treated very well, having a little luxury in the form of a warm shed, good food, daily human contact and attention and some tlc will make the world of difference to them.

(btw, well done for taking them on - no mean feat!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Good for you emma:) You and your husband are very good people.
    Maybe look around for people friends family etc.. who might take one of each off you.
    The training of the older dog should be easy enough if you have the time.
    Older dogs maybe older neighbours for company aswell?
    Keep us updated,hope everything works out.
    On side note she is very selfish person so is her ex.You should if both have jobs ask them to contribute to the food for them.If having problems money wise with vet stuff maybe bring them to the blue cross and explain the situation,and maybe they will help with vet stuff cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ah, all very clever ideas. I think that a weekends worth of effort could result in them having a nice outdoor home in our garden. Hard labour for one weekend = months of marital bliss to follow :p - probably worth the initial effort. Will start looking online to see what I can gather.

I remember seeing this documentary on this one foster kid who lived with one family that fed their own children Rice Krispies for breakfast but the foster kids got the generic brand. I don't know why this stuck with me, I saw it years ago. :rolleyes: I really hope that the dogs don't think there is a 2-tier system in our home. My dog is allowed inside and her dogs have to sleep outside. I already feel like Cruella De Vil without doing that.

that made me laugh - I have catpartheid in my house, at least I did for a while... the stray cats have wormed their way inside, and they've seen the posher food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She sounds like a right cow good on you for stepping in, can imagine it's not easy. The shed does sound like a good idea, sometimes people even sell them secondhand if you are able to collect.

A few plastic dog beds placed in the shed with some blankets and old towels, second hand shops have blankets and towels for very cheap. If they don't have any plastic beds you might be able to get them second hand as well even put a wanted ad on the free ad websites.

Demand that the sis in law pays for some of it though you shouldn't be so out of pocket it's not fair on you guys.

Food wise if not already perhaps consder feeding something like red mills dry or wagg..I know it's not gourmet food but it's cheap and you can add things like the occasional tin of makerel and left over chicken, you can even boil up some kidneys..butchers usually give them for free once a week and cheaper cuts of meat can be boiled up with some rice and boiled carrot for them.

Some older dogs need softer food so soaking it in some warm water for 10 mins before feeding can help.
    Good on you for taking on these pooches.

Oh and the 2 Euro shop sell doggy stuff for cheap even if it's just bowls and small blankets, collars etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I agree completely with the outdoor setup. If you would prefer to have them indoors over the longer term though, you would find it easiest attempting to house train them one at a time and leave the others outside. Treat them exactly like you would a new puppy, crate, bringing them out every hour, 10 minutes after water, 45 minutes after food etc. . . if the dogs have never had to hold it, their bodies won't be trained to hold it, just like a puppy if they have to go - they have to go. It's probably going to be a lot of work, but no more than what you are dealing with at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi: poor you thats just dreadful. What an appalling selfish woman your s-I-l
    Is. Where us her (ex) in all this too ; four dogs us a big expense; they can't just dump them on you and expect you to pay. Id suggest that you Address this with them both in writing asap . What if one gets sick/ needs the vet ; etc. And as you sat they re old... :(

Look at getting her to ask her grown up kids to take one each; they re their pets too; or tell her to board them ( & pay) while she finds a suitable house to rent in the Uk to bring
    them over to. They are both taking you and your husband for a ride & you will have 4 ageing dogs to babysit for the rest of their long lives unless you take strong action : 0

She knows this & that's why she's dumped them on you.

( & B&Q do plastic sheds for about e150& delivery : hoseable, non rot, no maintenance or draughts). Shocking ; 4 x vets bills, bedding, daily feeds, vets bulls, walks & liability if anything goes wrong. Helping out & sympathy is one thing but that is taking the p1ss. She probably knew you were a soft touch & that's why she hit you for it: anyone else would have told her that abandoning 4 dogs in a garden for the rest of their lives is a cruelty to animals offence. But of course she/ they know that ...
    And you can be sure they were counting on you voluntarily " taking" the dogs... Now not their problem anymore. Suggest you put them back there & ring her saying the police have called to ask & complain & what is she going to do.

Advertisement