Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing between floor and plasterboard

• 11-11-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I am looking for advice on how best to seal the joint where the bottom of (dwarf) wall and floor meet in a dormer (see attached sketch). I was thinking silicone but the skim is an inch from the floor in places so it would be hard to seal, maybe foil tape or similar might suit? The house was built in 2004 so there isn't any airtight membrane present. Any other tips on how to improve airtightness of a dormer would be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Skirting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if u can get access to a proper gun for expanded foam u could put a fine line of foam dowen and then trim it with a Stanley knife before the sb goes on: else get a roll of airtight tape from the guys in Athboy, its about 22 yoyos for a roll but it is a super product, gteed for 25 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

mp22 wrote: »
    Skirting

But that will just cover the gap and it is possible to get a draught down the back of the plasterboard and the skirting will let it into the room...

I missed this on our house.. :(
    It's not a big issue but OP, it should be done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Stick a bead of painters mate on the bottom of the skirting board and then fit. You can trim off the excess when it's dry or with a damp cloth while is still wet.
    You could also use paintable silicone, same job.
    I would think that would work.

Advertisement