Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza Fetish

Options
  • 11-11-2011 11:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a bit of a Pizza Fetish and can't make pizza base. Well I can make pizza base but it tastes awful. My Fav pizza base is from Pizza Hut followed by Four Star Pizza.

Can someone ( prefereably a cook from the above companies ) or a very good cook help / tell me how I can replicate their pizza bases so I can eat lovely pizza.

I have mastered the sauce / cheese and toppings, just the base I can't get it the same at all. Don't know why or how they do it ?

Anyone know ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Is it a thick doughy base you're after?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hi,

Sort of, I can get the base ok - ish but it's still not the same as Four Star or Pizza Hut. When I order a pizza in Pizza Hut I get the Italian base so think it's skinny. The underside of the base has something like parmasan crystal on it I think.

The main issue I have though is the crust, when I make the base from scratch and cook it the crust is quite horrible and can't eat it. In Pizza Hut the crust is my fav part so i think it's an italian base with a normal crust.

Any ideas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Sort of, I can get the base ok - ish but it's still not the same as Four Star or Pizza Hut. When I order a pizza in Pizza Hut I get the Italian base so think it's skinny. The underside of the base has something like parmasan crystal on it I think.

The main issue I have though is the crust, when I make the base from scratch and cook it the crust is quite horrible and can't eat it. In Pizza Hut the crust is my fav part so i think it's an italian base with a normal crust.

Any ideas ??

I'd say the underside of the base has polenta on it. I use it at home with a pizza stone as it stops the crust from sticking and makes it much easier to slide off the stone afterwards.

As regards the recipe for a crust I use one from Jamie Oliver, nothing special, strong flour, olive oil water. Maybe you're not kneading your dough enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I'd say the main issue here is your oven doesn't go up to the temperatures needed for great pizza crust. Also let your dough rest so for an hour in a warm place so that it doubles in size.

It's likely polenta or semolina flour under the base.

You could maybe try a pizza stone and get it really hot in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Definatly polenta underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

some tips...

- use a mixture of fine semolina (no more than 1/3) and strong white flour
    - add some olive oil to the dough with the liquid
    - after you've mixed it leave to sit for 5mins before you knead
    - let it rise for long enough in a warm place
    - get your oven and your tray/stone really hot before you put the dough on it
    - scatter polenta on the rolling surface and on the hot tray/stone
    - use a conventional oven (not fan) at the hottest possible temperature

buon appetito

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hi All,

thanks for the replies
    I am going to try the suggestions above to see if I can get it.
    You'll have to give me a few days to try it out + I won't be eating pizza every night.

We use flour but don't think it's self raising. we don't let it sit either, we make it in the food processor and then use it straight away.

I also have a fan oven with a max temp of 220 degrees.

I have bought a weber pizza stone but that didn't make a difference.
    I also purchased a pizza tray. It's a circular tray with loads of holes in the bottom, works very well.

Can I turn my oven on without the fan I wonder ?
    I must check that later when I get home.

Thanks for the replies all. I'll be back in a few days with the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I know this is something you want to make from scratch, but don't you have a pizza dough mix you can use? Like Betty Crocker or Pillsbury? I have used these as well as making my own crust and they really are pretty close in flavor. Very easy to do just add warm water cover let rest 5 minutes, grease up your hands and pull into any shape you like, thin or thick. You do need a hot oven for pizza. There are little electric ovens just for pizza or you could use one of those toaster ovens if yours doesn't seem hot enough. There are even pizza doughs that come in a tube (never used these myself) in the dairy case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Have any of you ever made a nice wholemeal pizza base?

There seem to be lots of recipes online but just wondering if any boardsies had made any nice ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

hardCopy wrote: »
    Have any of you ever made a nice wholemeal pizza base?

There seem to be lots of recipes online but just wondering if any boardsies had made any nice ones.

I usually use about 40% wholemeal, 40% white and 20% semolina, make double and bake half as a loaf of bread. A fine zentrofen milled whole flour makes a lighter dough than stoneground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement