Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation - Air circulation advice

• 11-11-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm planning on adding to my attic insulation this weekend with a additional layer on top of the joists (between joists already done). I have 4 roof tile vents in the attic so does this mean I don't have to worry so much about leaving a gap at the eaves? The house is storey and a half so I want to stuff as much down the sides as possible.
    I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

CollyMac wrote: »
    I'm planning on adding to my attic insulation this weekend with a additional layer on top of the joists (between joists already done). I have 4 roof tile vents in the attic so does this mean I don't have to worry so much about leaving a gap at the eaves? The house is storey and a half so I want to stuff as much down the sides as possible.
    I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    you still leave the required venting at the eaves. the two DIY options ive used to do this have been
    • placing 2" pipes down to the ventilated eaves - so that the ventilation is continued when you push in the insulation. or even better:
    • find some posters after the election 9or something similar) and cut them a little wider than the joists creating a U shape allowing a ventilated space between the poster and the felt for ventilation
    good luck, you'll be wanting a cold beer afterwards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CollyMac

Thanks for the reply BryanF. I didn't think I was going to get away with it too easily, I'm flippin dreading this job. Beer in fridge as we speak. Anybody know if loft vent trays such as these below are commonly available
    http://www.kloeber-hpi.biz/uk/products.php?products_id=61

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

yes, you'll get a variation of this, contact your local building providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

wheter these vents are the correct choice depends on the vent s in the soffits

In most houses where pvc soffits have been retro fitted, the vents are provided every so often.

In some new builds the vent is a continuous vent all along.

In the first case here the vents every so often will mean that not every space between the rafters will be vented so fitting these vents may be the wrong answer.

Advertisement