Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Tyson where does he rank for you?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,374 ✭✭✭✭walshb

minty16 wrote: »
    So tell me, Is it just a coincidence that Iron Mike didn't face any great fighters when he was at his 'peak' ? I cant have that. He lost to all the great fighters he faced. Tyson is in my own personal top 10 favourite boxers, but In my opinion it is pointless and flawed to judge a boxer based on anything other than his ENTIRE career - unless he fights on too long , in that case the argument can be made that he should have retired. Im surprised this argument is not made more frequently!

You don't think a 3 year stint in prison is a big obstacle to ignore? 4 years out of the ring; 3 inside a prison.

Mike faced the best heavyweights in the world when he was champion; cannot criticise him for that.

Like I have said countless times, name me ten champs who met better opposition than Mike when they were defending their belt? Bear in mind that Tyson defended it 9 times. That is 3 more than Rocky Marciano. Also, regained title and had one defence.

For example: Liston (heck of a fighter) defended it twice, and lost the second defence. His successful defence was against a man that I think loses to ALL
    of Mike's championship victims.

Foreman? Defended a few times. Frazier, a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Very Hard to stand up for Tyson - & say he was an all time great. Yes he was a wrecking ball against lesser men but in my eyes he was weak & cowardly the days he was faced down- Holyfield twice & Buster Douglas. The later fights against lewis and company aren't worth discussing.
    section4 posts regarding tyson & foreman add a lot of context to the discussion

TheWarrior wrote: »
    Very Hard to stand up for Tyson - & say he was an all time great. Yes he was a wrecking ball against lesser men but in my eyes he was weak & cowardly the days he was faced down- Holyfield twice & Buster Douglas. The later fights against lewis and company aren't worth discussing.
    section4 posts regarding tyson & foreman add a lot of context to the discussion

I know I seem to be constantly defending Tyson, but when I read cowardly vs Buster, that is just so so wrong. The fact is that in this fight, Mike showed how really tough he was, what heart and courage he had and how good his chin was. So, how I ask is this an act of cowardice??:confused:

Ok, his bite incident vs Holyfield. Yes, that to me showed Mike had lost it, wanted out and committed that act. I agree that showed cowardice.

But, at peak, when he was prepared, trained and with the right people, he never ever showed any mental weakness, ever. He showed a man who fought like a man possessed, always in shape, and always on the attack.

It only ever surfaced in 1996. Ten years after he burst onto the scene. And, after 3 years spent incarcertaed.

This is why I feel folks are being unfair. His whole career is resting on that bite incident. Even vs. Lewis, when lets be honest, he was totally shot, much like Ali in 1978-1981, he took a beating from Lewis, like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

walshb wrote: »
    I know I seem to be constantly defending Tyson, but when I read cowardly vs Buster, that is just so so wrong. The fact is that in this fight, Mike showed how really tough he was, what heart and courage he had and how good his chin was. So, how I ask is this an act of cowardice??:confused:

Ok, his bite incident vs Holyfield. Yes, that to me showed Mike had lost it, wanted out and committed that act. I agree that showed cowardice.

Your right walshb- I was overly harsh & phrased it wrong saying he was cowardly Vs Douglas.
    He posssibly could have beat the count in that fight if he hadn't went looking for he's gumshield when he was knocked- he should have got up & left the ref look for the gum shield. To be fair he was beaten at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Boooourns

TheWarrior wrote: »
    Your right walshb- I was overly harsh & phrased it wrong saying he was cowardly Vs Douglas.
    He posssibly could have beat the count in that fight if he hadn't went looking for he's gumshield when he was knocked- he should have got up & left the ref look for the gum shield. To be fair he was beaten at that stage.

Did you see his legs when he did get up, he was completely gone at that stage gumshield or not.

• Advertisement

Whether or not he could have continued is irrelevant, BTW, no way he could have, he was out of it. The point I was making was that in the fight Mike showed amazing toughness, resilience and heart to take a sustained beating like that, and STILL go looking for the sshield and wanting to go on.

Now, in the first Holyfield fight he also took a sheallacking and showed that toughness and heart.

It was the reamatch where he showed that he wanted out.

Just wanting to be clear.

Advertisement